Hear effects live while monitoring?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have made a little starter studio and I'm currently learning to use an audio interface (my first) with Studio One 3. Basically what I want to achieve, is to monitor my playing while hearing any added effects like EQ, Compressor, Reverb, etc. live while playing. I know this can be achieved by monitoring through the DAW itself, but can it be done while monitoring through my audio interface?

My interface is a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, where I have a condenser mic connected and that's it. The Scarlett have a Direct Monitor function which works perfectly, but I never hear the effects from SO3 when using this feature. Can this be done? :P

DJKhalidius wrote:Basically what I want to achieve, is to monitor my playing while hearing any added effects like EQ, Compressor, Reverb, etc. live while playing. I know this can be achieved by monitoring through the DAW itself, but can it be done while monitoring through my audio interface?
Im not sure I understand why you need to ask, as it would sorta appear as though you already have the answer. :shrug: Maybe Im not understanding what you mean.

Audio goes in through the soundcard, then to the DAW, the DAW does stuff with it, and then whatever the DAW does gets sent to the soundcard for output.
Direct Monitoring is listening to the input audio before it reaches the DAW.
You can't hear what the DAW is doing to your audio unless you're listening to what the DAW has done to your audio. If the 'added effects' you're talking about happen inside the DAW, then you cant listen to them before they reach the DAW.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

answer is no, not without monitoring through the daw and incurring whatever latency you have the interface set at in S1 buffer preferences.

The other way is to use an interface that has dsp effects built in of it's own, which will allow you to bypass daw monitoring and have the fast direct monitoring feature, but with fx.

Examples of this are most motu interfaces (6 band EQ, compressor, la2a and reverb send), RME total mix on their higher end stuff (4 band EQ, reverb, compressor), Steinberg UR series (fantastic value for money, Rev X reverb, guitar amps, compressor, EQ), UA audio apollo of course (any ua effect except for ampex and multiband compressor as they add too much latency), Metric Halo (+dsp license gives tons of effects), Studio 192 (comp/delay/reverb, and you can use it THROUGH S1 with this zero latency feature, ie this is the interface for you), antelope audio orion studio/+/goliath/zen (vintage emulations of eq and comps, reverb, overloud guitar amps).

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the detailed replies, guys. I'll monitor through my DAW then, until I get an interface with dsp effects. :)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”