First 'Virtual Reality' Recording Studio App Out.....

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://store.steampowered.com/app/485780

I have the Vive so will check this out tonight and report....

It obviously very early days for VR, but I can think of a lot of series applications...being inside a giant EQ and pulling, pushing frequencies to alter the 3D soundscape....moving orchestral players around, triggering loops in Live or Bitwig on a massive 3D display :-)

As the resolution gets better, you could have your DAW in front of you, look to the left and have a bank of real looking VST keyboards to tweak, look to your right and have a rack of real looking hardware FX to interact with and tweak...basically the same ergonomics as a real studio. The (Vive) controllers are already pretty accurate, but there are already people working on 'gloves' (or even just hands with leap motion) that will track accurately enough that you 'could' tweak a virtual knob or slider in a 3D world....(just need that haptic feedback)

What do you think- just a gimmick or serious potential in the music production world? :phones:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I don't want to do the annoying, intermediary stuff that stands as obstacle between the mind and the music in either a real or virtual environment - I want to bypass it altogether and control the tools directly from the brain.

This feels close.....

Had an hour on it tonight- so much potential; you can create oscillators and sample players, patch them, put them anywhere in 3D Space, turn knobs and sliders with some accuracy and okay the virtual drums and keys. Drums need to pick up the speed of movement for velocity (some games do this already) but latency isn't noticeable.

There are 3D theramin type controllers, patch splitters....this realy could be a virtual studio you can build in a real 3 meters cube space (room scale - you cooked for bigger I guess)

Given that rooms scale VR has only been out a few months...this is going to be amazing....heard a rumour BITWiG are developing for it ;-)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

This is the coolest thing ever, and I want it.

While I'm at it, a Vive would be nice.
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

acYm wrote:I don't want to do the annoying, intermediary stuff that stands as obstacle between the mind and the music in either a real or virtual environment - I want to bypass it altogether and control the tools directly from the brain.
I know. This is my problem with Smart phones too. Dammit I'm getting old, my bits don't work as well as my brain.

Great thing it is! It´s maybe looking like a toy right now but could be a start of some very interesting things for the future.
If i could get gloves to play those virtual instruments with 10 fingers that would be even nicer.
But it seems that making music the minority style might be a possible future.
But how much is the latency compared to mutitouch iOS apps or desktop applications?
Can i connect a midi keyboard or use the pc keyboard also to input midi?
Can it output midi to control VST?
10 bucks?.....I would buy it if i had the hardware. I thought 3D touch on iPhones and maybe on future generations of iPads will be interesting but this looks even more like future :borg:
For sure we will have some very interesting things for music creation in a few years.
Playing a virtual violin in 3D connected to some great Kontakt libraries? Why not?!

I like it all (as a concept) except for the instruments. Obviously virtual keys and drums, etc. don't give you any resistance for good simulated playability.

But the racks and racks of virtual gear is very appetizing.

-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

You can do this now without goggles with just a Leap Motion, which is what most of them are using for the sensing anyway
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Cinebient wrote: If i could get gloves to play those virtual instruments with 10 fingers that would be even nicer.
Leap Motion
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote:
Cinebient wrote: If i could get gloves to play those virtual instruments with 10 fingers that would be even nicer.
Leap Motion
But what about latency! Everything above 10ms is not nice :)

Theres a 15 minute demo of it on youtube - http://youtu.be/m9rq99Z1B8g

I don't really see much in it, thats not just novelty... something that is easier than a conventional desktop daw.

I think, Id prefer something more akin to AR (augmented reality)... i.e. a DAW which is overlaid onto my physical studio, where i can play my synths, and other controllers but then has a virtual layer overlaid e.g. virtual flip up panel on my (real) Virus, that brings up an graphical EQ, or Diva as an extra layer and of course controllers would come into their own (wow, my eigenharp with virtual overlays, brain explodes at possibilities!)

Also...this would (I think potentially) translate to live performance, as you remain in the same space as your audience.

or perhaps we need a mix of VR + AR... so we can use hardware, but then switch to minority report style editing :)

The video says it all. Another great time waster and effective winnower of the ranks of those who, at least at some point in the past, hoped and intended to become musicians. Wait until a few more of these come out! What that ridiculous rathole called modular hardware synthesis hasn't so far siphoned off, I expect this route will. The ones who can't afford to keep buying those overpriced modular pieces of junk to spend days and weeks wiring together can now do it virtually here ... for days and weeks.

Who first said, "There's a sucker born every minute"? Have fun! Don't forget to write!

I would use this for 10 dollars, holy crap what a deal. It's the VR setup that costs money, but hopefully the GFX rendering requirements are low.

camsr wrote:hopefully the GFX rendering requirements are low.
Heh, not really...

GTX 780-ish or 2 GTX 760's at the entry point apparently. GTX 970 is the minimum
as per the manufacturer. So roughly a $300 video card + $800 for the system if your not
up to spec. Not accounting for cpu...

Oh and $10 for the game...

No doubt in a year or two, the prices will come down considerably.

pekbro wrote:
camsr wrote:hopefully the GFX rendering requirements are low.
Heh, not really...

GTX 780-ish or 2 GTX 760's at the entry point apparently. GTX 970 is the minimum
as per the manufacturer. So roughly a $300 video card + $800 for the system if your not
up to spec. Not accounting for cpu...

Oh and $10 for the game...

No doubt in a year or two, the prices will come down considerably.
Jesus, so that counts out my 660 SIG2(non ti). Hoping to get an RX480 in the next year or two, anyway, but.. Dayumn.
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”