Looking for budgeted VST host is ? (4 vsts is okay)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MuLab App Waveform Pro

Hi all,

My friend's is looking for a budgeted VST hosts which can import wav / flac but can insert at least 4 vst effects (3rd party). Any suggestion? Is Bitwig 8 track a freeware ?

Thanks!
Cowby

Check out MuLab. :tu:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Bitwig 8-tracks has limitations of one Vst effect per track and only 2 Vst instruments per song. Anyway, it's not free but you can get it very cheap from the market place.

I suggest instead Cakewalk Music Creator 7. As far as I know, it doesn't have limitations with 3rd party Vst/Vsti and it is really cheap (I bought it for $10 when it was discounted), now it shows NZD 32 for me in their shop, which is still very cheap).
http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/Music-Creator

I'm not so sure of the above suggestion! Sorry! I've just tried it with my Blofeld Audio in, and I hear some crackles that I don't hear in other hosts! So, it is better to try the demo, oops! no demo! Anyway, I don't recommend it now, maybe try Magix Music maker demo. It is 59 euro, but it seems nice budget host.

Otherwise, Reaper demo for 60 days and can be bought when your friend can afford $60 ;)

The advantage of Reaper is that it's not a cut down version and it already has all the necessary effects (and they are good IMO). It has no limitation I know of.

Update:
Oh and just in time:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=466716
;)

Depending on your full DAW requirements, Acoustica Mixcraft 7 and/or Tracktion T7 Daw might be worth consideration.

EnGee wrote:Anyway, it's not free but ...
Actually it is free. I just got my license code and installed it on my Mac and everything is working.

I commented here where to get it.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=466716#p6516538

ValliSoftware wrote:
Actually it is free. I just got my license code and installed it on my Mac and everything is working.

Oh! I thought that is working only if you have Nectar controller!

This is great then, but why they don't replace the demo with the 8-Track version? After all, if you exceed the limitation, it ask you if you want to switch to the demo mode.
Why they don't adjust the price of Bitwig Studio to be the same like when upgrading from 8-track to Studio?

EnGee wrote:
ValliSoftware wrote:

Oh! I thought that is working only if you have Nectar controller!

This is great then, but why they don't replace the demo with the 8-Track version? After all, if you exceed the limitation, it ask you if you want to switch to the demo mode.
Why they don't adjust the price of Bitwig Studio to be the same like when upgrading from 8-track to Studio?
I forgot to mentioned that you need to do this first and no, a Nektar controller is NOT required. :D

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=466716#p6516563

I've got my Bitwig 8-track from the market place for $10 or $12 I don't remember about one year ago. The seller transferred the license to me and I don't have Nectar controller. It worth it IMO but it will hook you and mostly you will end buying the full version ;)

Anyway, it really hooked me and made me buy the full version (actually traded my S1 for it). It's a great DAW. The best for me. It lacks some features but overall is better than S1 and Live for me. Although I keep Live intro and S1 Artist with Vst support, I don't use them unless for testing reasons.

can find the Muppets track icons here, it's a must have :clown:

http://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1568/muppe ... _icons.rar
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

EnGee wrote:It's a great DAW. The best for me. It lacks some features but overall is better than S1 and Live for me. Although I keep Live intro and S1 Artist with Vst support, I don't use them unless for testing reasons.
My interest in Bitwig risen these few days and been playing with demo on a Linux for fun sake, it evolved from last time I tried it and this time actually invested little effort in learning some basics of quick navigation&all, must say, it's really promising, really want to put my desktop PC in full use and would love to use Windows based DAW for a change (and one I can use on Mac and Linux based machine too), this might fit the bill, interesting turn of events. :tu:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote:
My interest in Bitwig risen these few days and been playing with demo on a Linux for fun sake, it evolved from last time I tried it and this time actually invested little effort in learning some basics of quick navigation&all, must say, it's really promising, really want to put my desktop PC in full use and would love to use Windows based DAW for a change (and one I can use on Mac and Linux based machine too), this might fit the bill, interesting turn of events. :tu:
I don't know really how good it is with Linux or OS X as I don't have any of them. I used to have one or two distributions of Linux installed (also a hackintosh) but for the past few years I'm using only Windows.

Anyway, one big advantage for me in using Bitwig (or Live in this case) is the workflow in writing music. Let me explain this very important point. In a linear DAW like S1 or Reaper, for example, if I spend too much time playing the sketch (usually from start to finish), I begin to get used and attached to the way it sounds. It doesn't matter if it is OK or not, but it gradually becomes the base that won't change because after many plays, I become accustomed to it.

In Bitwig (or Live), I spend the first (long) time in Clip Luncher to put all my ideas related to each other without the need to play from start to finish. I can move them easily and I can edit them easily. Later when I come to it the second day, I don't have a base to be accustomed to! So, it is like continuing the work without feeling that burden.

I have no idea how good is Bitwig in live performances (against Ableton Live) because I don't do gigs or live performances.

For advanced mixing, S1 or Reaper might be a better choice, but I'm not interested in that stage really and I think that Bitwig can do it for me to have the final mix.

After all, finding the right DAW and tools is not easy especially with the moving world of software and technology, but I prefer to invest the time/money in one DAW better than keep looking and buying small budget DAWs. I hope I will spend at least 5 to 10 years with Bitwig without the need of buying another DAW :D

EnGee wrote: I don't know really how good it is with Linux or OS X as I don't have any of them. I used to have one or two distributions of Linux installed (also a hackintosh) but for the past few years I'm using only Windows.
The idea for me is to actually use Windows PC from now on, dual booted with Linux for fun sake.
Anyway, one big advantage for me in using Bitwig (or Live in this case) is the workflow in writing music. Let me explain this very important point. In a linear DAW like S1 or Reaper, for example, if I spend too much time playing the sketch (usually from start to finish), I begin to get used and attached to the way it sounds. It doesn't matter if it is OK or not, but it gradually becomes the base that won't change because after many plays, I become accustomed to it.

In Bitwig (or Live), I spend the first (long) time in Clip Luncher to put all my ideas related to each other without the need to play from start to finish. I can move them easily and I can edit them easily. Later when I come to it the second day, I don't have a base to be accustomed to! So, it is like continuing the work without feeling that burden.
Yeah, that sounds great, need to explore that, because that's the strongest selling point of it as I see it.
After all, finding the right DAW and tools is not easy especially with the moving world of software and technology, but I prefer to invest the time/money in one DAW better than keep looking and buying small budget DAWs. I hope I will spend at least 5 to 10 years with Bitwig without the need of buying another DAW :D
Yeah, behind similar idea/principle myself too, wish only to use one main DAW like it was the case until now, but main thing here is to get away from Mac and use my PC which can eat my Mac for breakfast, but there's no use for it, if there's no DAW for it, gonna see if Bitwig changes that. :tu:

Zexila wrote:
The idea for me is to actually use Windows PC from now on, dual booted with Linux for fun sake.
Linux is fun! I agree :)

Oh, damn! I couldn't resist! I've searched for few minutes and found this distro http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/ (based on Ubuntu). They said it can be used as Live CD (or DVD! don't know yet). I will give it a try and if all my hardware is recognized, I will give it a go with Bitwig (for linux). Excuse me Windows, a little sit to the right so I put Linux to the left :hihi:

EnGee wrote:
Zexila wrote:
Linux is fun! I agree :)

Oh, damn! I couldn't resist! I've searched for few minutes and found this distro http://kxstudio.linuxaudio.org/ (based on Ubuntu). They said it can be used as Live CD (or DVD! don't know yet). I will give it a try and if all my hardware is recognized, I will give it a go with Bitwig (for linux). Excuse me Windows, a little sit to the right so I put Linux to the left :hihi:
There's new version of AVLinux out, so check that out too. :tu:

http://www.bandshed.net/avlinux/

Have a blast! :party:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”