Loop Slicers - Comparison Please

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm looking for a slicer plugin for keyboard assignment of slices. I'm on Logic Pro X.

Apart from toying with Reason long ago, I'm completely new to loop usage.
Seems there's a crazy number of possibilities now.

Together, can we create an updated table of current slicer's strengths and weaknesses? User experience?

In order of preference, so far I boiled it down to:
Geist 2, MOTU MachFive 3 which seems to be superseeded by UVI Falcon ( former partner ), Sonic Arts Vice, the aging Stylus RMX, perhaps XFer Nerve? TX16Wx? Any others?

I need it because I bought the LoopLoft Master Bundle, drum loops in all formats ( REX2, Apple Loops-AIFF, Stylus RMX, WAV ). It's on sale, 80% off, with some MIDI products!

Just a few more then:

Air Music Technology Transfuser 2
Image-Line Slicex
Arturia Spark 2 (not really sure it handles slicing, but it reads rex files afaik)
AMG Beat Producer (seems to be 32 bit only)
Native Instruments Maschine 2
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

Awesome thanks. After quickly scanning their online reviews they are indeed to be added for comparison.

However, Slicex is popular but Windows-only. I'm on a Mac.

Both are Mac-able, Windows, and Linux. Maybe these can slice it?

Renoise Redux

https://www.renoise.com/products/redux

DiscoDSP Bliss

http://www.discodsp.com/bliss/

Ableton Live's Simpler has a pretty cool slicing workflow, especially if you have Push 2. That and Geist 2 wold be my weapons of choice. Also not to be overlooked are Kontakt and Battery. These can be even better when used in conjunction with a DAW's native slicing tools. I used to do a lot of automatic slicing in Sonar, and then just drag and drop the slices into Kontakt.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Nocturnal909 wrote:Both are Mac-able, Windows, and Linux. Maybe these can slice it?

Renoise Redux

https://www.renoise.com/products/redux
+1

New Sonic Arts Vice is great.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

+1 for Vice... Their samplers are at the top of my list. Simple, elegant and efficient.
I love that they don't try to squeeze an entire studio's worth of effects in them as I
almost never use the built in stuff in something like Geist.

-Cheers

the ones i use most often:
FXpansion Geist - sampler and sequencer, v. powerful, does auto-slicing etc., good effects sections etc..
Image Line - SliceX, great tool for slicing and effecting beats etc.
for a while i used this One Small Clue Poise, very simple but efficient for quick shopping etc..
a lot of daws these days have built in capabilities for loop slicing, FL , Ableton, Studio One... nearly every daw in fact... Geist is my go to though... ( you can drag patterns into the sequencer which is really handy to...).

Every single one of them mentioned are pretty poor to be honest, Recycle is not even a VST, is ridiculously old, and is the only one that does envelope extension (As far as i have seen anyway)
Just buy Recycle and make instruments by hand, way better than any slicing plugin.
Duh

"Every single one of them mentioned are pretty poor to be honest"

could you back up this statement? what is poor about Geist for example? how does it not 'slice' well?
and recycle may be old, but it is still a solid tool for making rex files. it costs no cpu to have that open at the same time as a project.
and slicex and battery to name only 2 are capable of slicing and a lot more.

bungle wrote:Every single one of them mentioned are pretty poor to be honest.
Do you mean every slicer mentioned in this thread so far?
bungle wrote:Just buy Recycle and make instruments by hand, way better than any slicing plugin.
I'm curious. Do you mean play the slices to your DAW's individual output channels to use your own plugin effects? What does your idea look like?

its a reaktor ens but I really like it. http://twistedtools.com/shop/reaktor/ultraloop
fade me out.

@inkwarp
Ok backing it up, well actually i already did, it is the only one that does envelope extension, very crucial to anybody slicing and changing speed.

@backagain
No, there are a ton of free samplers, pretty much all the free samplers have as good if not better features than slicing plugins when combined with a Recycle Export, however, do not listen to people who say export as REX, absolute idiot strategy, export as wav slices, this way you can really bake in the Recycle edit and not rely on a samplers (Usually bad) support of the REX library, you are just using wavs, when you export the wavs you also get the option to export a MIDI loop, which will trigger said sampler plugin.
Now because you are slicing this way, you are also building up a library of MIDI slice loops, these start on the same note in MIDI, so you can load a kit in your sampler, and go through the MIDI loops to find something inspiring ;)
Duh

one prog. i forgot to mention : Recycle.
it saves in REX format which means you can set the slices and then edit the tempo etc. in your daw ( apart from Samplitude which, i don't know why, does not). you could also edit your loops in an editor like soundforge...
and of course you can use the Rex player in reason ( this is the main reason i still use reason at all), rewire is your friend : )

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”