And the best GUI of all the DAWS in your opinion is... ?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
REAPER

SAWStudio :love: :love: :love:

You are currently reading my signature.

djanthonyw wrote:SAWStudio :love: :love: :love:

That looks hideous ... :help:

Guenon wrote:
.jon wrote:I'm not really after a workaround-based workflow in a DAW. Not worth it.
Yeah, I agree. Use something that fits how you wish to work, and doesn't feel like you're fighting against your own tools :)
Yeah it can be time consumming to set up. I don't think it really fits anybody's workflow when you first open it you have to bend it to your will and I can understand this can be off puting. I enjoy customizing a lot so it really fits me.
:borg:
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

4 pages late. Cmon man, keep up with it.

.jon wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote: Breaks my heart looking at this thread because I find Reaper to be by far the ugliest DAW in existence but I can't give it up because functionally it's streaks ahead of everything else and I'm so used to it now that every other DAW seems super slow to work with.. :help:
I feel sorry for all audio/mastering engineers, there really isn't anything better than Reaper for that kind of non-creative audio work. It's another thing for musicians/composers/producers, doesn't really stand up to the competition in any way. I wasted a lot of time trying to make it work.
Yeah.. it depends on how you like to work of course, but Reaper is not really geared towards composition. I think of it as a super advanced tape recorder - really, the first choice for mixing and mastering - so much freedom to work how you want to. But, for composing, it certainly lacks if you like modern ways of putting ideas together a la Live etc.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

MuLab is quite pleasant.

I can't believe that someone played the "saw studio" card in 2016 :lol:

Ok, for the flame-throwers, FL studio.

Guenon wrote:
.jon wrote:I'm not really after a workaround-based workflow in a DAW. Not worth it.
Yeah, I agree. Use something that fits how you wish to work, and doesn't feel like you're fighting against your own tools :)
:?

Or, there is the "it crashes all the time, or sputters" .... is that better?

Workarounds are a good thing. Especially in todays world where host makers are "deities" and cannot be told they've done something wrong!

incubus wrote:
Guenon wrote:
:?

Or, there is the "it crashes all the time, or sputters" .... is that better?

Workarounds are a good thing. Especially in todays world where host makers are "deities" and cannot be told they've done something wrong!
It's a bogus association that Reaper's a 'work around' DAW. It's a DAW that lets you achieve the same thing multiple ways. Some people think this means it's somehow 'work around' - in fact it's just 'very powerful' ;) lol

incubus wrote:I can't believe that someone played the "saw studio" card in 2016 :lol:

Ok, for the flame-throwers, FL studio.
SAW might be a bit garish but it has a wonderful gui concept

Robert Randolph wrote:

4 pages late. Cmon man, keep up with it.
That has got to be the most disgusting GUI I've ever seen nevermind just DAW GUI! I think nowadays a lot of devs are definitely improving the GUI for DAWS - my favourite is Cubase as it just all seems logicaly laid to me.

I could never figure out why people liked the Ableton Gui to be honest. Just seems so dull and laid out in a weird way

incubus wrote:Or, there is the "it crashes all the time, or sputters" .... is that better?
Definitely, if something crashes all the time or hangs, has drop-outs you can't mitigate, or is generally inefficient in your use, anything like that :). After a certain point, I would call all that "fighting against your own tools."

(Personally, I can't tolerate a crashing environment in daily use, usually working on a dedicated audio workstation with projects open sometimes days on end, not closing the DAW or powering the system down in between. Testing software for its stability before committing to using it, and maintaining a dedicated custom system, has lead to a very stable working environment. Then, crashes are the mark of something strange and rare happening in the setup, instead of something to be expected. For example, during 2016, I don't recall a single crash while working.)

do_androids_dream wrote:It's a bogus association that Reaper's a 'work around' DAW. It's a DAW that lets you achieve the same thing multiple ways. Some people think this means it's somehow 'work around' - in fact it's just 'very powerful' ;) lol
No, that's not what I meant with "work-around based workflow". You need a workaround when there is no native solution or it's broken.

Cubase, no doubt for me, I just can't work with anything else. The accessibility through modifier keys and the way the mouse works makes it the best IMHO. I also have Logic and Ableton but can't work as fast. I have tried Bitwig demo and I find it the only potential alternative.

You know what kvr needs? One of them thar fancy doohickeys that allows you to do multiple quotes :)

Anyways, I think I was just slightly bent when I made the one post. The fact is, that since it's introduction, reaper was mostly very tight in the stability department. Other hosts that I'm banned from mentioning are as crash-happy as all get out.

So, for me, FWIW, I'd rather have workarounds galore and stability vs. "WTF, AGAIN with the crashing?????" ;)

The ONLY reason I stopped using reaper as my number one is that it did start crashing when trying to do one of the extensions. It's whiskey under the bridge but Live (to some degree) and S1 did it w/o crashing.

I am a tangled mess, I'll admit that.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”