Anyone jumped ship / switched DAW this year?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Me, almost from Studio one -> Bitwig but still found the workflow of Studio one is suit me more.

This year, as far as I recalled, we've seen new release of FLstudio, Cubase 9, n-Track, Sonar etc . Anyone switched his/her DAW this year? Share your story and let us know your life in terms of production before & after ?

Cheers!
Cowby

Not exactly switched Daw's but bought MuLab 7 this year, mostly just for playing around with not for making full tracks. Live 9 is still my main Daw but I find you get into a different mindset when using another Daw and usually you come up with stuff you wouldn't in your main Daw.
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

I upgraded from Reaper to Ableton Live Lite, which I'm using until I manage to make up my mind between Live and Bitwig.

I make and enjoy making music more than ever now. Pretty much says it all.

still with Reaper but spent serious time checking out Sonar and Samplitude - both of which are very good. But as others have noted on this sort of topic before - I would need serious advantages to move to a new DAW with all that learning that implies - notwithstanding how annoying Reaper can be

No too much water under the bridge... switched from Cubase when Live V1 came out
http://www.voltagedisciple.com
Patches for PHASEPLANT ACE,PREDATOR, SYNPLANT, SUB BOOM BASS2,PUNCH , PUNCH BD
AALTO,CIRCLE,BLADE and V-Haus Card For Tiptop Audio ONE Module
https://soundcloud.com/somerville-1i

I'm about to jump from macOS to Windows very soon (for various reasons), and this move requires some casualty control. I won't be able to use Logic anymore, and for a while I seriously considered Cubase, but the dongle was a deal-breaker. I'm also very familiar with Live, and that was a strong contender also.

Eventually, I settled for REAPER - the lure of complete customizability was the deciding factor. So far, I like the scriptability and malleable GUI, although I still miss some things from Logic, naturally (and some I don't). It's just nice to be able create an ultra-minimalist colour theme and a few powerful hotkey assignments to hide all the complexity. It helps to focus better on what's coming out of the speakers.

That said, I'm looking forward to put that FL Studio license from years back to good use again. I could lay ideas down sufficiently quickly in any DAW, but speed of workflow in FLS is, for me at least, insane.
Last edited by Ma-Ti on Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

From Cubase 8.5 to the Logic Pro X. I Bought a couple of %25 off $100 iTunes gift cards and used them to get Logic Pro X for $150 to try it out. Now I'm hooked and the only thing that will send me back is the lack of Apple H/W down the road.

For one, the Steinberg dongle is a PITA. Now I can switch between my MacOS systems without the dongle. Next, I use 4K displays and Steinberg just does not get it. Even with version 9 it seems they have not addressed the UI well on 4K displays (too many things are way too small). Also Steinberg has you buying upgrades twice a year - that starts to add up. You may say that I pay indirectly via the Apple tax - but when I add up all the S/W savings including other tools I use like FC Pro X - the Apple tax is cancelled out.

There are many other little details as to why I now prefer Logic - but that list is not for this topic.

Yes.

Switched from Reaper to Sonar and it's been great.

Studio One to Cubase. V9 works great and fits me perfectly.
Dell desktop Win 10 /2012 MacBook Pro
Cubase Pro 10/Mixcraft 9

I have Abelton Live Lite, Bitwig 8 track, Cakewalk Sonar LE and Tracktion 5. But i still stick to T5 and play with LMMS.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVmlgT ... subscriber

Advocator of free and open source software.

Dewaine wrote:Studio One to Cubase. V9 works great and fits me perfectly.
Cubase 8.5 to Studio One 3 for the same reasons :D
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Studio One 3 to Logic X.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

I will be returning to music making early 2017 and want a one and only DAW but looks like I will have to settle for a main DAW and a secondary DAW.

Removed Cubase 9 from my possible DAW list. Too bad it lacks a few essential features. Love the midi!

At the top of my DAW list:

Wait for FL Studio 13? Release in March 2107 2017? FLS 12 is already great.

Sonar Platinum has all the features I want though the workflow not crazy about.

Studio One 3 is a solid possibility and it is the go to DAW if I cannot make up my mind.

ARA implementation is very important but not essential. I can have my secondary DAW with ARA.

Samplitude now has ARA. Looked at it again recently and it looks good, even the midi.

HollyHock 3 don’t expect it to be a contender but love the multi-touch implementation.

Reaper is a last resort DAW if I just can’t make up my mind. The mile long drop down menus are intimidating.

May consider Bitwig but will wait for V2.

Live is missing a few features important to me and is very expensive.

Mulab is a long shot.

No longer on my list:
Digital Performer
Reason
Pro Tools
SAW
Orion
Mixcraft
Tracktion
Last edited by Kalamata Kid on Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Not switched but am committed to Logic Pro X now after years of shopping around.

Tried Tracktion 5, liked the workflow, and actually bought T7 ($30 upgrade from T5 free) but have had a few crashes which has taken the bloom off the rose.

I keep trying Reaper but can't find a clear advantage to using it. What it has in customizable features is great but I can't see giving up Sculpture, Alchemy, etc for the privilege. Realize you can't compare features of a $60 DAW to one costing $200 but since I have both of course I can and do.

My Reason 6.5 license needs to be sold. I just don't use it anymore and the $ to upgrade, add rack extensions and keep current isn't worth the investment to me and since it can't do MIDI out in it's current version - well, maybe someone else will find the value in it.

I have installed Live Lite, like it, but am intimidated by the $ it will take to get a version of Live where I can use hardware. I found Bitwig to be a mess visually and could never gel with it.

Logic has had a lot of free updates which has helped it's stability, added functionality (Logic Remote), and the addition of Alchemy was genius - its an amazing synth. It plays well with hardware and other software like Numerology. The workflow is good and as I improve in using key commands the better it gets.

Yep, I'm a little afraid that at some point my 2009 Macbook Pro and 2011 Mac Mini won't be able to run LPX..and my iPad2 probably won't be able to run Logic Remote when LPX gets upgraded..but for now my DAW 'switch' is to stop switching.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”