Anyone jumped ship / switched DAW this year?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Zexila wrote:
zenophilix wrote:My dad snagged a used Mac Pro with Logic X Pro installed on it, so we've been trying to learn how to use it. :party: We both find it illogical.
In all fairness, any DAW after Ableton Live is. :lol: :?: :clown:

To answer to OP while I'm here:

No, still can't find anything better than Logic, been trying whole year and still on the hunt. :)
FL Studio all the way. No need to switch at all :phones:

Zexila wrote:
zenophilix wrote:My dad snagged a used Mac Pro with Logic X Pro installed on it, so we've been trying to learn how to use it. :party: We both find it illogical.
In all fairness, any DAW after Ableton Live is. :lol:
True. :lol:
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

I actually jumped DAW and switched ships this year...

I'm looking at jumping from Studio One to Reaper or maybe Cubase 9 due to CPU spiking issues with VSTi as well as other bugs like not being able to change the sample rate of my MOTU Ultralite AVB from within Studio One. Also I'm getting tired of the fanboy police coming out of the woodwork each time problems with Presonus gear is mentioned. I've been a Studio One user since the day they released V1 but maybe it's time to move on. Time will tell.

It's fan"boi" :roll:

:hihi:

incubus wrote:It's fan"boi" :roll:

:hihi:
Yea I know.. I figured people would get it anyway :D :D :D

tunafish88 wrote: I'm getting tired of the fanboy police\
and that leads you to Reaper? :o

woggle wrote:
tunafish88 wrote: I'm getting tired of the fanboy police\
and that leads you to Reaper? :o
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yea I know, the Reaper crowd is a little overzealous at times but honestly from what I've seen, and I've been at this for 40 years or more, they seem to understand things like RTL vs zero latency (direct monitoring) and so forth.
The Reaper'ites love to push Reaper but they generally seem to know their stuff.
Last edited by tunafish88 on Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I guess I kind of jumped ship. I've been using Ableton a lot because of push, but, I really don't use push as this stare at hardware live jam kind of production workflow. I don't really think that it's very good at that in fact. What I really like about push is that it's a useful orthogonal controller. For me PXT-General gets more at how I want to use push and makes it less painful to use as a controller.

Cubase 9 brought me back to Cubase. I still use Ableton for some things, but I've never liked it for production.

I also picked up Mux and mulab which I like more in some ways than I do max for live. I know that MFL is way more powerful, but mux+Reaktor is actually quite a bit faster for me in solving the kinds of problems that I was using MFL for. LFOs on VST parameters, odd midi sequencers and processors, for example. With MUX, my solutions work in any DAW that I choose to use.

I'm not sure even if Ableton 10 will bring me back.

After Henry da Vandal AKA Gibson bought out Cakewalk,I knew that it was time to get out of Dodge...

I had been a Cakewalk user since the stone age and a Sonar Pro user since it's inception and I knew the program pretty well and I thought that they really got it all together with the X3e Pro x64 update...

So I have started using REAPER 5 and I love it !

The install is minuscule,it loads faster than a speeding bullet and it is very well coded...

The workflow is extremely fast and it has never crashed or given me any grief...

Of course there is a learning curve,but like anything,if you log in the hours and check out the manual and the menus,it's not that painful...

Step by step and it all makes a little more sense...

Also,the tutorials that Kenny Gioia did are really great...very informative...Take a bow Kenny G :clap:

One of the things I have noticed through changing DAWS and adopting a slightly different workflow,is that I am using a lot less plugins and the sound is more "open" as a result of this...

I used to use the channel strips in Sonar X3e Pro extensively and they sounded great,but by using less effects in REAPER I feel that the results are much better...

It really does reinforce that the quality of the sound at the source is vital...

Anyway,I am happy to be using REAPER and it's a cool thing that Justin has this project on his menu..He made mega miilions out of Winamp and is blessed to be able to now spend his time pursing his passions..

That's a very cool thing...

REAPER is one of those passions and we are fortunate to be able to enjoy the fruits of his labour :wink:

5 Stars for REAPER :tu:
Last edited by digitalboytn on Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
No auto tune...

digitalboytn wrote:After Henry da Vandal AKA Gibson bought out Cakewalk,I knew that it was time to get out of Dodge...

I had been a Cakewalk user since the stone age and a Sonar Pro user since it's inception and I knew the program pretty well and I thought that they really got it all together with the X3e Pro x64 update...

I still really like Reaper. It's one of those tools that I will probably always have installed. If Cubase 9 didn't have so many really cool features I would probably have switched permanently to Reaper, although, that wouldn't really be jumping ship because I've been using Reaper regularly for a long time now. I've had Cubase as well but I haven't been using it at all.

digitalboytn wrote:After Henry da Vandal AKA Gibson bought out Cakewalk,I knew that it was time to get out of Dodge...

The install is minuscule and it loads faster than a speeding bullet...

Of course there is a learning curve,but like anything,if you log in the hours and check out the manual and the menus,it's not that painful...

Also,the tutorials that Kenny Gioia did are really great...very informative...Take a bow Kenny G :clap:

One of the things I have noticed through changing DAWS and adopting a slightly different workflow,is that I am using a lot less plugins and the sound is more "open" as a result of this...

I used to use the channel strips in Sonar X3e Pro extensively and they sounded great,but by using less effects in REAPER I feel that the results are much better...

It really does reinforce that the quality of the sound at the source is vital...

Anyway,I am happy to be using REAPER and it's a cool thing that Justin has this project on his menu..He made mega miilions out of Winamp and is blessed to be able to now spend his time pursing his passions..

REAPER is one of those passions and we are fortunate to be able to enjoy the fruits of his labour :wink:

Ahh, I can relate.
Former CW user here since the days when Greg would answer the tech support line. I jumped ship after they went to the X interface. I still remain current with upgrades but don't use CW much. For me it's just too busy looking and I don't like their nickle dime approach. Mostly it's the workflow that doesn't click with me. The community does have some long time nice people in it though and I respect that. And for someone starting out, CW offers one hell of a value with quality plugins and so forth. Just not my cup of tea though.

Going back a little, other than the joy of having a DAW that actually fixed/updated things (and I've been here longer than this name) I never did understand the reaper hate. Oh, I can understand not liking things about it, but it was a positive movement overall.

Better than the 10....or 11 people that constantly take aim at everyone that isn't a fan of 3 hosts around here :hihi:

I did a review on REAPER and just copied and pasted the comments I made here...

No need to add anything more because REAPER is a really good DAW...

Damn...Will you look at that...I'm a poet :wink:
No auto tune...

The install is minuscule,it loads faster than a speeding bullet and it is very well coded...

The workflow is extremely fast and it has never crashed or given me any grief...

That's a very cool thing...

Bingo! That's all the classic misguided reaper fanboi's honeymoon cliches neatly summarized in an appropriately wretched format :clap:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”