bitwig 2 is here

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5 Catalyzer MeowSynth

SLiC wrote:There are plenty of other threads on Bigwig 2 (some with real information!) over on the Bitwig Forum. :tu:
Would rather read this one that is not moderated by Bitwig reps. :tu:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

SLiC wrote:This thread really needs shutting, its just a rambling mess! (Yes, even more than normal!) can someone put it out of its misery!

There are plenty of other threads on Bigwig 2 (some with real information!) over on the Bitwig Forum. :tu:
I would rather not, as discussed earlier in the thread people would like one thread outside of the Bitwig forum to talk about Bitwig. Please note that this does not mean cat pics and I am just deleting them. If people feel they want to get the thread locked by posting cat pics that will be dealt with.

I wish people would be respectful and keep this on topic, thank you.
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

@Hink

Erm... would you call an emoticon as 'idiot' respectful? It isn't. Simple.
I never make mistakes; I just blame others.

Hink wrote:
SLiC wrote:This thread really needs shutting, its just a rambling mess! (Yes, even more than normal!) can someone put it out of its misery!

There are plenty of other threads on Bigwig 2 (some with real information!) over on the Bitwig Forum. :tu:
I would rather not, as discussed earlier in the thread people would like one thread outside of the Bitwig forum to talk about Bitwig. Please note that this does not mean cat pics and I am just deleting them. If people feel they want to get the thread locked by posting cat pics that will be dealt with.

I wish people would be respectful and keep this on topic, thank you.
Thanks, I have no problem with BitWig topics outside of the BitWig forum, its just that this thread has almost nothing about BiWig 2...its 90% OT!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I know and that is not making my day :hihi: I'm on a trip driving from Maine to Florida but will be checking in often ;)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Have a nice trip, Hink! No worries :wink:
I never make mistakes; I just blame others.

Promoting the idea that this thread needs to be locked is just fuelling the suspicion that there is something to hide. I am trying the beta a Bitwig 2 now and I have to say it definitely looks better and the modulators are very cool indeed. Whether they have fulfilled their promises or not this is definitely worthy of a 2 release. To repeat again the new pricing scheme is crazy and I can't see myself buying into it, the software does look good though.IMHO of course.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

The modulators are amazing, a week in with the beta I am just scratching the surface, particular with hardware. CV in and out with modular is truly unifying. Took a while to find stuff and get used to the context sensitive menus, but now I have stuff pinned as I want it I am more than happy (now opening 1.3 again seems weird). CPU use seems very good, the overall look and amount of detail and moving displays in the rack is awesome, given the complexity you can really see what's going on.

Its a must have update I think if you like Bitwig (or modular environments) and for me it destroys Live 9 (I own live 9 suite and Max 7, I have been a user since Live 4 but I cant see any reason why I would go back to it- I am just hanging on to it in case 10 is killer!)

Having used it for a week I am more than happy with the upgrade and if we get more free stuff in the year then that can only be good- what happens after a year...who knows, I will see how they do this year....I am not overly worried about not upgrading after that if nothing inspires me to do so, my copy of Alchemy still works and that hasn't been updated for years!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

The beta has not wowed me at all, the modulators don't do anything, that cannot be done in M4L or Reaktor (both of which allow you to build your own, and lots more), and they've not done anything to improve MPE support, which still lags behind Cubase.

I bought Bitwig early on, as they were quite innovative, but as reality struck (bugs), the innovation slow down. if anything it now feels a bit lost, a bit 'in between' - on one side heavy weight daws (like Cubase) and on the other, Live + Push which is becoming a performance instrument... Bitwig is not quite either for me.

so, Im on the fence about upgrading (even at the reduced price), perhaps I should 'get off the Bitwig train', and board again if they ever release the modular/collaborative platform that was part of the original vision. I guess in this sense the subscription model suits me.

btw: I think they are right to be going to 2.0, and to be charging an upgrade fee.. definitely been enough 1.x upgrades to justify, just it doesn't really offer much to me.

I agree M4L can do all of the mod stuff but the fact they are baked in makes the workflow much quicker and more intuitive. No question Live is a way more advanced product but I do enjoy using Bitwig more, that being said I use Cubase most of the time, if Bitwig was my only DAW I would have a different opinion.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

Yup, As I said I have MAX 7 and fid it a bit 'techy' to use with Live, it hasn't put a smile on my face like the click and add Bitwig modulators....fast, fun and creative (but if you want to bake your own max and reactor will give you more). I also wouldn't currently use BitWig as my only DAW unless I was just working with electronic music (just VSTs and Midi). S1 3 is what I use for live recording and linear guitar/drum/vocal type tracks and I cant see that changing anytime soon, but BitWig is where I go now for electronic/loop/modular stuff.

I knew they'd do a decent enough upgrade path. I'm worried that some of the stuff I love will not work, so until I get to demo it I'm concerned.

woodsdenis wrote:I agree M4L can do all of the mod stuff but the fact they are baked in makes the workflow much quicker and more intuitive. No question Live is a way more advanced product but I do enjoy using Bitwig more, that being said I use Cubase most of the time, if Bitwig was my only DAW I would have a different opinion.
I have always found M4L a bit clunky and unreliable. Live is solid for me when using just Live... but when I start adding in M4L devices, it becomes more crash prone.

Also, it has been like 9 months since I used any M4L device since I stopped using M4L so maybe I am not remembering but can M4L modulators like LFO function polyphonically like Bitwig modulators can in v2?

Live is more advanced in some ways... but no MPE support, no multi-clip editing, no audio events inside a clip, etc... there are lots of very useful functions Bitwig has that Live doesn't. So it depends on what a user wants. If they prioritize MPE support, then Bitwig is more advanced.

Ableton Live was never so fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DBl_d2mvsk&t=3s

LFO triggers the gain of a test tone (sin) generator which trigger the the Replacer device(which is an audio>MIDI note converter) , I've just wanted to figure out how can be MIDI notes generated without any input in BWS ...

both the MIDI note pitch and velocity values can be modulated and etc. etc. , figuring out new devices is same fun now as is in Reason(- the cables), and big step ahead from the container based modulations of Bitiwig 1.x.x and much more funnier than doing the same in AL currently

especially because Note Receiver device of BWS 2 will able to merge MIDI notes from different sources
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdhz_03RMbA
which missing is missing in BWS1 (from now a full auto-triggered drum machine device can be created)
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

pdxindy wrote: Also, it has been like 9 months since I used any M4L device since I stopped using M4L so maybe I am not remembering but can M4L modulators like LFO function polyphonically like Bitwig modulators can in v2?
No not really possible to do poly modulators from M4L to a non-M4L instrument, since theres no interface to do this (you can do, if your within your own M4L device, e.g. oscillot)

This limitation is true of BW, you wont be able to do poly mods on VSTs either because they are outside the bitwig ecosystem (perhaps when they get VST3 per note expression, it *may* be possible with these)

I actually think modulators will be much better once we get the modular UI to edit them with, at the moment if you start chaining them/combining them - it quickly becomes very difficult to see what is connected to what (you have to click on each modulator in turn) - when the modular UI turns up, we will presumably be able to see wires connecting the modulator output to the parameter being modulated.
Live is more advanced in some ways... but no MPE support, no multi-clip editing, no audio events inside a clip, etc... there are lots of very useful functions Bitwig has that Live doesn't. So it depends on what a user wants. If they prioritize MPE support, then Bitwig is more advanced.
editing MPE note data is pretty tedious in BW too much data, and not enough intelligent tools - its easier to just record audio, and if you play it wrong, play it again ;)
if you want to edit the data, then use Cubase, it allows you to do all sorts of intelligent MPE editing, and the note data is all attached to the note, not in its own unrelated panel.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”