Muse research throws towel

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ecdysis wrote:
incubus wrote:The thing is, that is if not THE reason kvr was made, it's at least part of it's history.

RIP.
FAKE NEWS ALERT :hihi: :hyper: :lol: :cry: :lol:

Wrong, the KVR website and community existed years before it was taken over by Muse.
Not understand sentences much?

I had two Receptors, each at different times and I have to say that to me, it always felt like zero difference between turning on my desktop to load up vsts and turning on my receptor to load up vsts.
I could do more w/ my desktop so I rarely bothered with the Receptor.
But I believe Muse produced these at a time when people still couldn't completely rely on laptops to perform live with (before i Mac and such) so these were presented as a purpose-built rack-mount computer.
I for one was never much impressed.

Afaik it was a (headless) PC with Linux and a modified Wine so they can run VSTs on it?

Gymnopedies wrote:I had two Receptors, each at different times and I have to say that to me, it always felt like zero difference between turning on my desktop to load up vsts and turning on my receptor to load up vsts.
But I believe Muse produced these at a time when people still couldn't completely rely on laptops to perform live with (before i Mac and such) so these were presented as a purpose-built rack-mount computer.
My thinking too. A laptop these days gives much more hands on access than Receptor.

But that Receptor was sturdily built and easily could be screwed into a rack, made it an easy to use "rompler" for the live band on the road.

I've never used one of those things but my ... guess or uneducated speculation ... would be that an OS dedicated to doing only one thing might be better at it efficiency wise. That is to say, if a dedicated box like that couldn't run many more plugins than a desktop with an equivalent cpu (of course the desktop is doing multiple things and has a shit ton more points of potential failure), there would be very little point to it.

Like my d8b OS that only had to do one thing, run the mixer and didn't require anything else on it except what it needed to run the mixer, so whatever OS they used was obviously nowhere near as bulky as a desktop OS.

I also suspect that unless they kept changing the CPU every X months it would be hard-ish to keep up with desktop cpu speeds if they weren't selling a ton of them. At some point whatever advantage it had would be overcome by rising desktop cpu speeds. I mean, Dell can probably buy the latest Intel cpu's a lot cheaper than they could simply because they buy so many of them.

4damind wrote:Afaik it was a (headless) PC with Linux and a modified Wine so they can run VSTs on it?
More or less, AFAIK. Except that it was more than a modified Wine because they assert that their application is closed source. So they modified Wine, modified linux, developed a front panel, I believe a custom audio board, and developed a VST host that was closed source.

Honestly, given the state of Wine these days, that is, it is fairly reliable, an open source variant of this is probably not the challenge that it once was if you primarily target plugins that don't require extensive copy protection.

In any case, regarding greater efficiency, that can only be true to a point. You're still not going to get orders of magnitude improvement. Also, they were never "zero" latency, just low latency owing to a somewhat optimized kernel. AFAIK, that part of it was open source though.

Right now it appears that their support pages for the source code to the open source parts are non-existent and they're not on the wayback machine. That said, I believe that much of their changes have been merged into Wine and one of the Linux audio distributions.

I agree they were never a "real" hardware company, which was kind of what I'm saying, I'm not sure that the model of reselling commodity hardware based on software was the right model over the long term.

Robert Randolph wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:
ecdysis wrote:
incubus wrote:The thing is, that is if not THE reason kvr was made, it's at least part of it's history.

RIP.

Wrong, the KVR website and community existed years before it was taken over by Muse.
Native English speakers would realise he is not stating what you think.
This native english speaker has no clue what he was trying to say. It's a disaster of a sentence.
+1 :party:

Native English speaker here too. Serious... Incubus, wtf where you saying? :hihi:

I'm only a Naïve English speaker :oops:

elxsound wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:
ecdysis wrote:

RIP.

Native English speakers would realise he is not stating what you think.
This native english speaker has no clue what he was trying to say. It's a disaster of a sentence.
+1 :party:

Native English speaker here too. Serious... Incubus, wtf where you saying? :hihi:
Hm... thought it was just me. :)

Numanoid wrote:
Gymnopedies wrote:I had two Receptors, each at different times and I have to say that to me, it always felt like zero difference between turning on my desktop to load up vsts and turning on my receptor to load up vsts.
My thinking too. A laptop these days gives much more hands on access than Receptor.

But that Receptor was sturdily built and easily could be screwed into a rack, made it an easy to use "rompler" for the live band on the road.
Which is what I meant when I said that it was too expensive unless you really needed it. That was pretty much the only use case that could be easily justified way back then. As soon as people started using computers live reliably, that changed quite a bit.

You're not going to get around the fact that it is, in fact, a general purpose PC in a rack enclosure. Even if you optimize the boot loader and pull out all of the things that aren't needed it's going to be tough to get that thing to boot and load a plugin an order of magnitude faster than a PC. Even if you can, it won't matter that much in the studio because you still are waiting on your PC to boot.

Today, it's just not that hard to use your old laptop as a dedicated synth/mixer/mastering console if you really want to and with the price of them, it's really hard to justify something like a muse. You can also get fanless rack mount computers, stuff in an audio/midi card, and create dedicated plugin hosts that way if you want to. You can do this in pretty much the same way that Muse does, only use Windows.

RIP.
No it isn't, it was sold to them much later

EDIT*
Should have read the thread hahaha
Duh

VariKusBrainZ wrote:Well I must be special as I understood,
or maybe because Ive literally been coming here since day 1 so know the history

Yes, you must be special...

I Interpret (and I guess most capable of speaking/understanding some English would agree,native Speaker or not) "not THE reason" as saying "not the main reason" i.e. (in the context it has been used) "if maybe not the main reason then at least part of the reason" - which is wrong.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Nonsense
What he typed was "That is if not"
That makes very little sense to any native English speaker, and i wont be corrected by a non native English speaker, you can correct me on the German i dont speak whenever you like.
Duh

Some people! :dog:

Yeah, the Muse was a good concept at least. Apparently mostly geared toward professional live players, who thought it as being a wise purchase, and those who could justify the cost. But for the more stationary home or studio for-hire, it didn't make much sense, when you consider the Muse's extra ordinary price & underwhelming specs, lack of capability & somewhat limited compatibility, VS any decent off the shelf computer. If the ruggedness and/or convenience of it being in a rack was of importance, you could (and still can), build your own rig. For those who aren't into building your own, there are rack mount computers available.

At least the 'Muse concept' has been, and is still available to all live players & home/pro studio's, it's in the form of your 'own choice' of computer, your 'own choice' of OS, 'your own' choice of totally open ended plug-ins & virtual instruments.

If nothing else, the good news is for those who can get by with the Muse's limitations, you''re going to be able to pick these up used and cheaply, since you're going to be seeing people off-loading these things, just because of them going out of business. In fact, a lot of what I buy are used products that have been discontinued, and people hastily rushing to get rid of them. In most all cases, they're perfectly just usable as when they were put out. Then again, I don't require having a warranty, or any tech support of what a current and new product gives.

incubus wrote:
ecdysis wrote:

RIP.

Not understand sentences much?
Yes. I even understand where they dont make any sense. Feel free to explain the point of the conditional for our entertainment, though. ie 'if not this completely false thing, then obvious thing' instead of 'obvious thing'.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”