SONAR issues...deal breaker?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SONAR SONAR Platinum SONAR X3 Producer

Thanks bbaggins, I'll be over shortly! :tu:

Can someone please confirm if Platinum demo has other restrictions than save?
For some reason the audio quantize tool seems inactive? Am I missing something in the settings?
Thanks

When are we gonna get a Mac version yo?!?

Stupid American Pig wrote:When are we gonna get a Mac version yo?!?
When it's ready to be released. I'd rather them take the time to do it right than to release it if it needs more work and people throwing a massive fit about it screaming how it should have not been released till it was ready. :p

Mystic wrote:
Stupid American Pig wrote:When are we gonna get a Mac version yo?!?
When it's ready to be released. I'd rather them take the time to do it right than to release it if it needs more work and people throwing a massive fit about it screaming how it should have not been released till it was ready. :p
That's a fair point. However Image Line has let users beta test the alpha FL Studio. I may be different from the average user but releasing alpha/beta software would instantly encourage me to report bugs and work with cakewalk to improve it and get it to release quality. Having bugs in a pre release version would not make me whine. Announcing an "imminent release" of sonar for Mac 12 months ago is way more irritating than dealing with bugs.

well, they've brought alex westner back in, he's the guy that did the recent izotope investor stuff, so maybe he knows how to maximise gibson's investment? or how gibson can maximise their return on investment in cakewalk
churn churn churn

pwal wrote:well, they've brought alex westner back in, he's the guy that did the recent izotope investor stuff, so maybe he knows how to maximise gibson's investment? or how gibson can maximise their return on investment in cakewalk
churn churn churn
I wasn't aware of what happened with Izotope until recently. After looking into it, the change in direction and subsequent silence (after being promised by the devs that there would be more communication in the "new era") makes sense. Well, I can't say it makes sense when they release new bugs every month along with features, and can't even fix something as simple as the VU Tick Marks colors for the gel meters being broken. They were on such a good path there for a bit that I really had hope, but that's gone now. I say this as a user from 1995 to 2016.
What sound do dreams make when they die?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what are gel meters?

bbaggins wrote:Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what are gel meters?
There are no dumb questions.

If you go into preferences and shut off the segmented meters, you get the "gel meters". They're solid, and unlike the segmented meters, you can change the color of the meter and the VU tick marks that overlay the meter. I used orange meters with black VU tick marks for years. Last year, when the theme editor was released, they broke the ability to change the marks. Now, no matter what color you set them to, it defaults as light grey, and it's hard to see the level of your meters. Also, it's like the canary in the coal mine. If something this simple is going to be broken for so long, then why would I trust that the rest of the program is going to run ok? I did fill out a problem report, but went back to check it, and it had been deleted. So, I assume that it's not a priority to fix.
What sound do dreams make when they die?

Stupid American Pig wrote:That's a fair point. However Image Line has let users beta test the alpha FL Studio. I may be different from the average user but releasing alpha/beta software would instantly encourage me to report bugs and work with cakewalk to improve it and get it to release quality. Having bugs in a pre release version would not make me whine. Announcing an "imminent release" of sonar for Mac 12 months ago is way more irritating than dealing with bugs.
My understanding is that they have had people testing it for quite some time, it's just not been open to the general public. I see this as a good thing as they are using people who have proven themselves to be good at spotting things that need attention rather than just giving it to everyone and getting overloaded with a ton of issues at once. If you've ever been part of any type of beta or early access program in gaming, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. It quickly turns into a giant mess.

Stupid American Pig wrote: Announcing an "imminent release" of sonar for Mac 12 months ago is way more irritating than dealing with bugs.
Did the Cakewalk staff say the Mac release of Sonar was imminent?
When the announcement was made, they said a Public Alpha would be coming in the following months.
Obviously that hasn't happened.

If the Public Alpha was out this very instant, it would (by definition) have outstanding issues.

Just my opinion... but I'm confident that if you don't like Sonar development on the PC, you're most likely not going to like it on a Mac.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Resonant- Serpent wrote:
bbaggins wrote:Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what are gel meters?
There are no dumb questions.

If you go into preferences and shut off the segmented meters, you get the "gel meters". They're solid, and unlike the segmented meters, you can change the color of the meter and the VU tick marks that overlay the meter. I used orange meters with black VU tick marks for years. Last year, when the theme editor was released, they broke the ability to change the marks. Now, no matter what color you set them to, it defaults as light grey, and it's hard to see the level of your meters. Also, it's like the canary in the coal mine. If something this simple is going to be broken for so long, then why would I trust that the rest of the program is going to run ok? I did fill out a problem report, but went back to check it, and it had been deleted. So, I assume that it's not a priority to fix.
You mean that your pet peeves should be the yardstick by which everything should be measured. I get it. :tu:

JerGoertz wrote:I used and actively upgraded Sonar during part of the time between 2000-2007. I had persistent crashiness and audio dropouts, as did many other users; on at least one of the major version releases Cakewalk promised the dropout issues had been fixed. Never were for me, though.

So, I can't speak to more recent Cakewalk developments, but my experience with the company and product were not good. I've since used several other DAWs and each one of them provided a much better user experience for me.
I had the exact same experience. Sonar 3(?) through 8.5. Miserable experiences.

I abandoned Windows/PC/Sonar and settled on Macs for all my computing needs. Aside from Apple progressively screwing up their product since 2013, I've been much more productive and happy with Logic and Mac. I've not yet fully moved from Snow Leopard yet, though...
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

chk071 wrote:
Skorpius wrote:
chk071 wrote:TBH, if you don't want to risk running into troubles, stay away from Sonar. I used Sonar X3 briefly, and it wasn't very stable.
I'm really astonished that people keep mentioning age-old versions of Sonar in this thread. Even X3 has been outdated for several years now. I don't think the OP is interested in whether year-old versions used to work for you in the past or not. Rather, I'd say he's interested in how the current version - which is Platinum - works for current users.
Well, unless he unmistakable states so, i was figuring that he is interested in opinions about Sonar in general. Of course, it is rather relevant how the latest versions is performing. But, frankly, i have my doubts that it's taken a magical 180 degree turn, and is perfectly stable now, i know Cakewalk too well now to assume so. Maybe i'm wrong.
Seconded. Six years of upgrading and hating Sonar put a pretty solid stop to upgrading. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, thrice... six times... I've been played the fool because of being a fool.

Being out of date on Sonar is a credibility issue to Sonar fans, but it's a huge chunk of time and money that created this opinion. If Cakewalk did a 180° change, well they will just have to live with some of us giving out negative reviews from six years of Cakewalk being irresponsible. I'd be quite happy to hear that they did a 180°, but their Mac product support shows otherwise.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

jinotsuh wrote:...trying to get those who have not updated in years to update to the latest version with the threat of no longer being able to get a discount for upgrading after May 1.
...no more upgrades from older versions from May 1, trying to get all those who have not upgraded for years to upgrade by way of a no more discount threat, thus hopefully bringing in the cash? Who knows,
This is lousy. I was unaware. It tells those of us who've had a bad experience with, and abandoned, Sonar: "Good riddance! Cakewalk will never try to win you back".
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”