Studio One Questions

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In the process of switching over to Studio One, I often have questions about how to do this or that with studio one, and I usually piggy back on other threads to ask them. I figured it would be more productive to just create my own thread and ask them :D

My first question, is there a way to transfer a track AND all its automation from one project into another. For now I can export a musicloop or copy and past all playlist midi event from one opened track into another, while exporting/importing the fxb. But, this doesn't preserve any of the automatons :neutral: Is there another way to go about this?
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

I do this by drawing the automations in midi clips (below the notes, where you have velocity, modualtion, etc). You may add any synth parameter there and draw a curve for it, it will be saved in the musicloop. Not sure you can automate the effects after the synth in the same way though, but you may use a multi instrument, assign the effect parameter you want to automate to a multi knob and write the automation for this knob.

Maybe there is a more streamlined way to do this :)
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Thanks recursive! How do I go about adding a parameter below the midi notes. I will try and see if I can copy and past the automation inside there, though, I might as well copy and paste one by one each automation in another opened track. If it works, atleast I'll save the step of adding the modulation targets themselves..

Got it, lol. I can use the hand tool and simply drop it there... perfect. I was also hoping once it is assigned there, when I automate, the lines will be drawn in there instead of the playlist (which has its own drawbacks), but it seems this is mostly for manually drawing it in there.. I will have to manually copy and paste and export the music loop for now, though its a bit cumbersome.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

I believe you can record an automation from a midi controller into a midi clip and then merge the clips (the one with the notes and the one with the automation).
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Yeah you can merge MIDI clips together. SO you could record the automation in one clip. And then move that across to the new project and merge it with another MIDI clip to add the automation. Select the parts and then use the Merge Part function

Thanks ontracktuts, that's exactly how I'm doing it, cumbersome, but it works. It's not as simple as orion or fl studio (actually this isn't easy either). Hopefully, they will expand on this function sometime soon.

I have another one, is there a way to record the master ouput similar to what edison does in fl studio. Instead of bouncing constantly, I'd just like to record everything going on through the master and chop it up later. I could use edison, but was wondering if there was a native solution.
Last edited by Touch The Universe on Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TTU Youtube

Touch The Universe wrote:..is there a way to transfer a track AND all its automation from one project into another?
Did you already try Show Package Contents?

Hi musical gym. I already tried to show package contents and I didn't see anything that would indicate it was an automation channel. However, now that you mention it, I'll have a closer look to see if I can find anything.

TTU Youtube

Let me know. I think automation could exist in one of the packaged files but I don't know.
I thought it might try to keep everything.

After checking again, I couldn't find anything resembling automation. There is a preset, a midi file, an image, and .music file. It seems musicloops do not preserve any automation, a bummer :(

TTU Youtube

I just dragged a .music file into a song and it has the automation.

Was the automation underneath the piano roll or did it have it's own channel/s?

TTU Youtube

under the piano roll

Yeah, I thought so. If it is outside of the piano in its own channel on the timeline, even though it is associated with the instrument channel, it is not saved in the musicloop. This would save me quite a bit of time if it were. It's all good though. Anyone have any idea how to record the master output?

TTU Youtube

1) open both songs
2) go to "view" "song" in s1, choose the source song
3) select all the tracks you need, right click and "copy"
4) go to "view" "song" in s1, choose the destination song
5) right click, then paste

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”