Propellerhead Software has been bought

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic

http://www.verdanecapital.com/article/2338
Verdane invests in Propellerhead to strengthen expansion and mobile focus
5 Apr, 2017

Propellerhead Software announced today that the company is bringing on board private equity fund Verdane Capital IX (Verdane) as a new partner. Verdane will support the company's expansion in several areas around the core product Reason, the app store-model Rack Extensions and the mobile music-making platform.

Reason 9 was released in June 2016, the latest version of Propellerhead’s award-winning music production software, which helped drive record sales in 2016. The company has since released two updates for Reason supporting Ableton Live’s Link technology and further bolstered the Rack Extension platform via Reason 9.2.

Propellerhead is now focusing intensively on increasing the development team and pace, strengthening the company's position in- and outside of the music industry and further developing their mobile music-making platform.
“We have revolutionized the music industry several times and now we want to take the next step in our vision, to give even more people the opportunity to create more and better music,” says Ernst Nathorst-Böös, CEO and founder of Propellerhead. “With Verdane’s help, we will be able to reinforce our focus on developing new products for the next generation of music makers.”

Verdane will become an active owner of Propellerhead. Verdane has extensive experience from driving growth in software and e-commerce companies, and will be a valuable partner as Propellerhead picks up the pace. Ernst Nathorst-Böös will continue to lead the company.

“Propellerhead is a vital part of the ‘Swedish music wonder’ phenomenon and possesses some of the leading expertise in the world of digital music software and digital sound processing,” says Pål Malmros, Partner at Verdane Capital Advisors. “We are excited about further strengthening Propellerhead’s leadership position in the market.”

Seems like Reason is going from being Swedish to becoming Norwegian then 8)

Numanoid wrote:Seems like Reason is going from being Swedish to becoming Norwegian then 8)
Then VST support is next and everyone will have Norwegian Wood ...

Maybe.

Anyways, IF TRUE it would be great if they advanced it forward. I was delighted to switch over the reason at version 8. And for the months following they advanced it quite a bit.

But 9 was a huge disappointment considering how many workflow issues are behind the curve. BIP is still the only thing they've done that I'm aware of.

Also, they really are not optimized in CPU and how it uses cores. Has a tendency to choke too quickly vs earlier versions (steadily worse from 8 to 8.1, etc) but I've waited for that with other hosts ending in terrible divorce, so not holding my breath.

Two or three major releases with very few reasons (forgive the pun) to make people part with their cash, well, the money has to come from somewhere. I have to laugh at "new" features other DAWs have had for many years. Definitely one for those rooting for underdogs. Or just starting out. Or who like walls.

KEv

Its over, finally.
ImageImageImageImage

We have seen what venture capitalist investment has done to iZotope so I don't have much optimism here.

lnikj wrote:We have seen what venture capitalist investment has done to iZotope so I don't have much optimism here.
I must have missed that, I'm only a recent iZotope customer, what negative impact did it have?

ghettosynth wrote:
lnikj wrote:We have seen what venture capitalist investment has done to iZotope so I don't have much optimism here.
I must have missed that, I'm only a recent iZotope customer, what negative impact did it have?
Abandoned products (Spectron, Alloy, Breaktweaker, Stutter Edit, Iris ?) , poor and very expensive updates that in cases reduced functionality (Iris, Ozone), failure to fix bugs (Iris 2) ...

highkoo wrote:Its over, finally.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Does this mean that they will finally add PDC, lol.. Or that automatically returning playing cursor

fedexnman wrote:
Numanoid wrote:Seems like Reason is going from being Swedish to becoming Norwegian then 8)
Then VST support is next and everyone will have Norwegian Wood ...
the only missing point is the bidirectional MIDI streaming(from/to the application) which is part of the ReWire 2 protocol but Props hasn't implemented it
step 5

If you create a MIDI track in Cubase and go to its input select menu, you will see that it can receive MIDI from any of the tracks in Reason. This would be useful for loading up a plug-in instrument in Cubase but using Reason’s sequencer, with its ReGroove and other MIDI programming tricks, to trigger it.
Rod
Step 5 of this article is misleading and should be corrected; it has raised false hope. Although the Rewire 2 specification is described as allowing for bidirectional MIDI via Rewire it's well-known that Propellerheads never implemented or enabled this feature in any version of Reason. Think about it, the lack of MIDI out before Reason 7 would not have been such a big deal if it could do MIDI out via Rewire.

Jun 22, 2015
https://ask.audio/articles/link-cubase- ... ith-rewire
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Doesn't surprize me. My interest in audio production had always been there, but I thought it was all too technical.
So I decided to get into it -you know- in 2013.

Reason seemed to be ok, I could learn the process as in an old fashion studio, I thought.

However, I was baffled it didn't have VST support. I tried some DAWs and yes, they seemed all very technical. Except Orion.

Orion hadn't have updates for a while then, another disappointment. I ended up with Magix MM 2013, which I bought for €29.95. I made some tracks with it. But the Soundpool stuff has copyright. I put things on hold.

Any way, then Bitwig came around and I was delighted; I could learn it all from scratch!
And really I don't know what these guys were thinking, because simple basic features -like clip fade handles in Magix MM for instance- were not implemented in version 1! Which did run almost 3 years....

And it didn't stop there.. at some point I felt totally baffled by the commercial software industry. I bought hardware.

By now I can make a reasonable production. With Bitwig 1 and donation plugs.

Just saying my enthusiasm won it from the stupid devs and their even more stupid CEOs. Yay!
I never make mistakes; I just blame others.

festeringheap wrote: “We have revolutionized the music industry several times"

:lol:

No, you havent. :roll:

They like to talk big, but do little. :D

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”