Reason "VST" poll: For those who "left", how many of you will consider using Reason now?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic

For those who "left", how many of you will consider using Reason now?

Now that Reason supports VST, it will be my primary production DAW
17%
Now that Reason supports VST, it will be my secondary DAW
19%
Now that Reason supports VST, I will be a first-time Reason user (either as a primary or secondary DAW)
6%
I have no interest in returning to Reason
24%
I have no interest in trying Reason as a first time user
20%
I may consider returning to/trying Reason if they add a feature [Please comment below]
13%

Total votes: 201

RELATED
PRODUCTS

EnochLight wrote:I see the term "VST wrapper" used often. To be clear - VST are not inside a wrapper at all in Reason
I see the term 'ported from VST to RE' often... FROM YOU. Yet numerous developers (you know, the guys who actually know what they are talking about) have cleary stated tgat there us no such thing as porting from one format to another, rather its more or less a new build.

So please be mindful of the misinformation you are so often spreading

keyman_sam wrote:
EnochLight wrote:
keyman_sam wrote:Here's a thought - is it possible to now load [VST] in Reason and have the audio I/O accessible in your DAW? This is so you could use Reason for outboard FX!
You could do this before (ever since Reason+Record became Reason 6.0)...
Err...not without using audio routing hacks like ReaRoute or some such.

I'm looking for a native solution without any hacks. Ideally ReWire would allow it but it doesn't, so here I am.
I think we're talking about two different things. You can send live audio into Reason's effects (whether it be native devices, RE, or now VST), and then send it out via your hardware interface right into your mixing desk as an insert with no special tricks or hacks. That's what outboard effects are, correct?

*EDIT: my bad - you want to do outboard in another DAW using Reason..
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Only 8 CV Inputs though ? Seems kind of limited for some plugins..

Should be at least 16 minimum.

:borg:

It's a great start though, as a solution to integrate a 'foreign' plugin to the rack.

I'm predicting a new Combinator for version 10, so we might see some changes for the VST box as well.

KarmaShaman wrote:It's a great start though, as a solution to integrate a 'foreign' plugin to the rack.

I'm predicting a new Combinator for version 10, so we might see some changes for the VST box as well.
Prop heads have a long history of introducing great ideas but then never get around to updating them. I would have loved to see updates to Thor, Maelstrom, Subtractor etc..

This might be why lots of people are rolling their eyes at this new and improved revolutionary update..

At this point, I guess the only thing we can do is wait and see what they got.
:borg:

V0RT3X wrote:
KarmaShaman wrote:It's a great start though, as a solution to integrate a 'foreign' plugin to the rack.

Prop heads have a long history of introducing great ideas but then never get around to updating them. I would have loved to see updates to Thor, Maelstrom, Subtractor etc..

This might be why lots of people are rolling their eyes at this new and improved revolutionary update..

At this point, I guess the only thing we can do is wait and see what they got.
Oh Propellerhead have dozens of significant improvements they could roll out tomorrow, but they chose to drip-feed customers for years because, well.. Reason users are a pushover.

VST integration was developed a very long time ago. Latency compensation - are they for real to have us think they've been furiously developing that and only just came up with it. Christ, there was a whole release where one of only a few features included an enhanced track color pallete. COLORS ! ! !

The difference now though, is that there is no ego-driven pomp merchant that can arrogantly dismiss user requests because the new owners are only in it for three things thing. MONEY, MONEY and MONEY. They aren't frustrated musician wanna-be's, shamelessly self promoting a business model as revolutionary and groundbreaking (er, when its the most behind the times DAW out there) - instead the majority shareholders of Propellerhead are a bunch of suits looking for the filthy lucre. This is a good thing though, as it means Reason users are about to be spoiled rotten over the coming 12 months.

Or I could be wrong. The whole thing could turn to crap. Subscription model or tiered upgrade pricing might be around the corner as well.

I changed my vote to "may try if they add feature" as my interest has cooled off significantly over the last week or so since the announcement. I've been reading a bunch of stuff, browsing through my list of RE's again, and mostly I was reminded of the depressing time back when I was still on board and it felt like a constant tumbleweed season at the prop shop. And tbh there was a lot of excitement in the reasontalk forum over a lot of the RE's that truly wasn't that exciting, especially once you look outside of the reason bubble.. I guess everyone was really hoping it would take off but it truly never did. It was such a depressing time tbh, so glad I found my way here to KVR instead :) Just looking at Reason gives me still a bit of a sour taste because of this, its very much a love/hate kinda thing. But as you guys say, with the new owners there could be truly exciting times ahead :)

Some things I hope for:
Freeze track
Update/Deprecate some of the older devices that's tbh pretty lame at this point. (keep them for legacy support but put them inside a legacy folder or something)
Add a new set of fresh stock FX and EQ/comp/tool units to be included with the DAW.
Deprecate the old mixer and CV units and introduce new with 2.0 look.
Thor 2.0 ? Wavetable import
Visual makeovers for the units that doesn't get deprecated, a 2.0 look.
TBH, a skin option for all the devices would breathe some fresh air into Reason
Super combinator would be great with customizable front panel and possibly 2d free layout of devices inside instead of 1d.

I answered the poll that I thought I would upgrade (from 6.5) if they added a feature. I was excited regarding the announcement as I really always liked Reason.

But then I opened 6.5 and immediately encountered Codemeter issues. Then I opened up an older file and Reason can't find the samples. And I've somehow stuck a Redrum unit inside a Combinator and while the Redrum miraculously has its own channel strip it has no audio signal -how is that even possible? And nothing is resized easily. And instruments on Run patches don't output midi or audio....

Now, I bet all those issues are somehow my fault and I just need to learn Reason better. But Reason didn't allow plug ins, so I've spent a lot of time and energy learning Logic and can't change my DAW like I change pants. Logic has its frustrating problems though...system overload anyone?

Moral of the story: I'm going to watch and wait...see what the experience is. I don't save/gain anything by upgrading today not even a measly $5 - so why not wait? In the mean time, I will try and learn the version of Reason I already own. I thought it could be a brilliant modular instrument Rewired into Logic abut I haven't even scratched the surface. I need to use Reason more in that regard and learn it better before upgrading.
Last edited by imprint on Tue May 09, 2017 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

imprint wrote:IAnd I've somehow stuck a Redrum unit inside a Combinator and while the Rwdrum miraculously has its own channel strip it has no audio signal -how is that even possible? And nothing is resized easily. And instruments on Run patches don't output midi or audio....
Is it possible that the project was done pre-SSL modelled desk, and you're using the old 16:2 console? Your issue sounds a lot like what I encounter if I try to open up a Reason 4 project (which was before the SSL).

That said, I haven't even bothered installing version 9, so I don't know if there are any backwards compatibility issues associated with 6.5 (or 7.0) projects.

imprint wrote:But then I opened 6.5 and immediately encountered Codemeter issues.
Codemeter has been updated a few times since 6.5 - I can't even remember the last time I had a Codemeter issue. Still, your missing samples issue sucks. I've had a frustrating run with some projects with a similar issue (at least, before I started self-containing all of my song files).
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

KarmaShaman wrote:
imprint wrote:
Is it possible that the project was done pre-SSL modelled desk, and you're using the old 16:2 console? Your issue sounds a lot like what I encounter if I try to open up a Reason 4 project (which was before the SSL).

That said, I haven't even bothered installing version 9, so I don't know if there are any backwards compatibility issues associated with 6.5 (or 7.0) projects.
I've never owned any version of Reason other than 6 and 6.5 Purchased license used and upgraded, so not sure the SSL issue applies?
Last edited by imprint on Tue May 09, 2017 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

EnochLight wrote:
imprint wrote:But then I opened 6.5 and immediately encountered Codemeter issues.
Codemeter has been updated a few times since 6.5 - I can't even remember the last time I had a Codemeter issue. Still, your missing samples issue sucks. I've had a frustrating run with some projects with a similar issue (at least, before I started self-containing all of my song files).
The Codemeter issue is a strange one as I've had it a few times. Solving it isn't huge deal, you download the newest version, uninstall the old version, install the newest - reboot a couple of times along the way, make sure your ignition key is not on a hub but plugged directly into the computer and it goes away. Might be good copy protection but not the best experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji6Pyr-kjkQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4yrHPxtUDk

http://retouchcontrol.com/pusher/

after played with 10mins with it seems ok, https://shop.propellerheads.se/bundle/k ... s-toolbox/ is supported, upped the docs to here (have Push 1 only so bought that one, dunno the state of Push2 )
http://www112.zippyshare.com/v/uy2nvHPa/file.html

big h5 to the developer(s)
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

can you really modulate one vst with another in live? Because that kinda excites me about reason now...

V0RT3X wrote:Only 8 CV Inputs though ? Seems kind of limited for some plugins..
Agreed, I'd like to see 16 as well. It does help some that automation doesn't seem to be tied to CV counts. It looks like any exported parameter from a VST can be hosted as an automation lane in the sequencer.

The relatively small number of CV inputs along with the the CV programmer looks to be pretty limited though:

I'd like to be able to send CV1 to pan and, say, volume at different modulation amounts. From what I can tell that takes two separate CV programming lines, and there's only 8 total. This means if I route CV1 to two destinations I've lost the ability to use one of the other CV inputs!

I'd much rather see a deeper system like the Thor CV bus, even if it's only 2 destinations to start.
Feel free to call me Brian.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”