cubase 9

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Pro 13

Renaming in Cubase is a breeze with the Project Logical Editor. MIDI Logical Editor is powerful, also.

bustedfist wrote:Renaming in Cubase is a breeze with the Project Logical Editor. MIDI Logical Editor is powerful, also.
I was talking about naming - not renaming anything.

As a start - Midi Logical Editor, which it should be named - is called Logical Editor plainly. so you need to differentiate with Project Logical Editor which is better named as such.

And List Editor should also be called Midi List Editor to be clear what it is.

What is called busses in other daws, are called channels in Cubase.

FX Channels in Cubase - are Effect Busses in other daws.
And are pretty much superseeded by Group Channels - which are busses in other daws.

Instrument Tracks and Instrument Racks - are so easy to confuse.

What are called Busses in Cubase are all hardware inputs/outputs. Sometimes called Aux inputs/outputs otherwise.

You have many things called VST-this and VST-that - which make you think about plugins - but isn't. VST connections and VST system Link are various routing options internally and externally.

Just the way I feel about it - not well chosen naming - if you worked with audio at all before using mixers or daws.

And with a poor help system - no context help at all - just pdf manual - you need to know what things are called when you start learning Cubase.

Just needs a complete makeover as I see it.

Once I got through first years with Cubase Elements and learned it all, it works fine. Just unnecessary uphill battle when getting first Cubase.

Yeah, in some ways it's overly brilliant. (to tears) and in some ways it's WTF, not to tears, but strange.

Again, I'm in the 90% category because it's a terrific linear host that serves a purpose w/o some of the nonsense in reaper. It's only crashed once, and that was my fault (trying to copy/paste a mono track to a mono-input stereo track)

I wish the CPU was better optimized. I wish it was cheaper :lol:

incubus wrote:
Saving in a project is fine, but you have to go through all the renaming of tracks and such per loading of an instance because there seems to be no way to save the VST, the outputs, names, etc because they are different track types.
Yes, you can: if I am correct, you just have to select the EZdrummer instrument track when saving that trackpreset, not all the extra outputs EZdrummer creates. It will automatically save the output configuration with it, names and inserts on those as well.

lfm wrote:
bustedfist wrote:Renaming in Cubase is a breeze with the Project Logical Editor. MIDI Logical Editor is powerful, also.
I was talking about naming - not renaming anything.

As a start - Midi Logical Editor, which it should be named - is called Logical Editor plainly. so you need to differentiate with Project Logical Editor which is better named as such.

And List Editor should also be called Midi List Editor to be clear what it is.

What is called busses in other daws, are called channels in Cubase.

FX Channels in Cubase - are Effect Busses in other daws.
And are pretty much superseeded by Group Channels - which are busses in other daws.

Instrument Tracks and Instrument Racks - are so easy to confuse.

What are called Busses in Cubase are all hardware inputs/outputs. Sometimes called Aux inputs/outputs otherwise.

You have many things called VST-this and VST-that - which make you think about plugins - but isn't. VST connections and VST system Link are various routing options internally and externally.

Just the way I feel about it - not well chosen naming - if you worked with audio at all before using mixers or daws.

And with a poor help system - no context help at all - just pdf manual - you need to know what things are called when you start learning Cubase.

Just needs a complete makeover as I see it.

Once I got through first years with Cubase Elements and learned it all, it works fine. Just unnecessary uphill battle when getting first Cubase.
I've never had an issue with any of that. Sure, the manual leaves a lot to be desired, as well as contextual help, but there are plenty of resources to get up to speed. The SB youtube channel is one, the forums another.

FX Channels aren't superseded by groups, they're for send effects, for one.

I've never had a crash on Cubase in the 10+ years I've been using it. No hang on exit, nothing. Multiple systems, set up for DAW use, not crazy on tweaks. Maybe I'm just lucky.

bustedfist wrote: I've never had an issue with any of that. Sure, the manual leaves a lot to be desired, as well as contextual help, but there are plenty of resources to get up to speed. The SB youtube channel is one, the forums another.
But when you are new to a product, you kind of like if you can search for info on terminology used by other daws.

I eventually did some quick reference for myself for the various recording modes for audio or midi - if to do loop recording and stuff.

You learn it eventually, but just takes longer than it has to.

I mean, if to really be alternative for ProTools and professionals one would expect context sensitive help.

I'm all good with Cubase, apart from the time it takes them to come up with new video engine not needing quicktime for us pc users. It's 13 months since deprecated by Microsoft. Should be around the corner now, but I had to get started in Sonar to do video stuff. A bunch of video editors like Premiere Elements, Nero Video and PowerDirector all got rid of need for quicktime for most common formats, even MOV with H264 inside.

As a single thing to improve in Cubase would be context help. Both ProTools and Sonar are good in this field. ProTools manuals is the best I saw, and next to that Reaper.

FX Channels aren't superseded by groups, they're for send effects, for one.
I have not found anything in FXchannels that are not in GroupChannels, rather the opposite. As I recall FXChannels only route to main out, but group channels route anywhere and to other group channels.
Most daws have one track type for both effect busses and bussing in general.
Reaper is among the few that has one track type for everything, even midi.

I've never had a crash on Cubase in the 10+ years I've been using it. No hang on exit, nothing. Multiple systems, set up for DAW use, not crazy on tweaks. Maybe I'm just lucky.
I had no crash either, until Pro 9 - where I got crash at exit every time if using Waves anything. My history is Cubase Element 7 and 8, then Pro 8.5 and 9.

I changed many things since, new graphics card and updated to latest Waves etc - so it went away eventually it seems - knock on wood. I think problem was all about timing, and the usuall delay closing main project first, then exiting main Cubase environment. If I closed project first manually, then it did not crash - worked as a workaround. Just those couple of extra second made a difference. Possibly matter how much of Waves was used as well, if having many plugins that need to be destroyed before shell closes.

But overall today I am very pleased with Cubase and learned to appreciate many things. But with stunning context help and manual, I would probably have been that much earlier.

FX channels can be routed to groups - at least in the Pro version. :wink:

And isn't there some kind of Group Edit function. No idea how it works, but I think it only works with Groups, FXs. I may be wrong...

Googly Smythe wrote:FX channels can be routed to groups - at least in the Pro version. :wink:

And isn't there some kind of Group Edit function. No idea how it works, but I think it only works with Groups, FXs. I may be wrong...
You are probably right, I ran Elements at the time I discarded FX channels.

But still they are like subset of group channels and no real purpose anymore. I have not missed anything using only group channels, anyway.

And being able to place group channels anywhere, like in track folder I think that is even more the case.

Either way, what is nice with Cubase is that you feel there are plenty headroom for almost anything you can think of.

lfm wrote:... what is nice with Cubase is that you feel there are plenty headroom for almost anything you can think of.
Yeah, whenever I've wanted to do something in a project, Cubase has provided a way to do it. :tu:

Since I'm here and feel like asking the question: Padshop shows up in bitwig for example, but groove agent doesn't. Is that normal? Would be terrific to use it in bitwig :hyper:

incubus wrote:Since I'm here and feel like asking the question: Padshop shows up in bitwig for example, but groove agent doesn't. Is that normal? Would be terrific to use it in bitwig :hyper:
If you mean GrooveAgent SE, then no, it won't show in any other DAW - it's tied to Cubase. Same as HALion SE. You'll have to buy the full versions to use them elsewhere.
Padshop, however, is an independent product, available apart from Cubase, so maybe that's why it shows up. Probably Retrologue, too. Maybe...?

Ok, I don't do group channels all that often because of the way I mix. I'm not using buss-type FX, by which I mean you apply a single thing to a Group in Cubase terms. SO, Groups in no way supersedes FX Channels for me.
I actually mix in VE Pro, where a buss is a group if the channels of the group reside in that channel-as-output but the difference can't be all that confusing because I'm not all that swift.
Here is another sense of 'buss' though, if I have a whole guitar FX setup, it's its own frame (instance/project), and since I'm automating it in that frame there is no need for more than one output back to Cubase. Sub-mixing.

But I can see why one wouldn't necessarily call every channel bussed to, a buss. But it hasta be, because ProTools, because pros are slow... whatever

Googly Smythe wrote:
incubus wrote:Since I'm here and feel like asking the question: Padshop shows up in bitwig for example, but groove agent doesn't. Is that normal? Would be terrific to use it in bitwig :hyper:
If you mean GrooveAgent SE, then no, it won't show in any other DAW - it's tied to Cubase. Same as HALion SE. You'll have to buy the full versions to use them elsewhere.
Padshop, however, is an independent product, available apart from Cubase, so maybe that's why it shows up. Probably Retrologue, too. Maybe...?
That makes sense, but I wanted to double check.

In other words

MO MONEY, MO MONEY, MO MONEY :hihi:

I really like the layout and convenience of it.

As far as the output/saving/archive thing, I haven't figured it out. But I'm reading all the info and trying to get the combo correct.

I was kinda hoping that I'd hate this, but now it seems inevitable.

Still concerned about the customer service for obvious reasons, but it's been so tight and stable, maybe that isn't something to be concerned over.

Still wish I could figure out this weird once a day (maybe twice) spike thing. It must be linked to the the net (cubey trying to phone home so to speak).

Question, and I remember having this issue even with cubase 4/5, why is it impossible to "freeze" an audio track? What happens is that they don't freeze, they mute. :shrug:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”