Opinions Please, Reason 9.5 or Bitwig 2.1?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I couldn't decide, so I'm using both :hihi:

woodsdenis wrote:... however the rack/ modular workflow might out weigh these things...
this is why it worth to use as secondary DAW with AL, Bitwig, FL etc. rack is beautiful in it, but the working with the other parts so or can be so PITA to able to easily drop out from the creative flow

worth to check Max Braiman latest streams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRn8BBCqZRU
(although /not sure in it/ he uses Reason because his CPU issue)

and use only the best part of Reason > the rack
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote:
woodsdenis wrote:... however the rack/ modular workflow might out weigh these things...
this is why it worth to use as secondary DAW with AL, Bitwig, FL etc. rack is beautiful in it, but the working with the other parts so or can be so PITA to able to easily drop out from the creative flow

worth to check Max Braiman latest streams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRn8BBCqZRU
(although /not sure in it/ he uses Reason because his CPU issue)

and use only the best part of Reason > the rack
Yes good points and very impressive vid, I got 9.5 for a few reasons.The upgrade from V3 is very reasonable. Its not my main DAW and there is now the ability to make Recycle loops directly in the program. Some of the combinators are fantastic but the operation of the DAW part is really lacking. Modulating in BW for example is a breeze and really quick and creative, in Reason its just clumsy and awkward.

I would change my initial statement to check them both out thoroughly but beware of Reasons real limitations. CPU with VST is a lot worse than the competition too but ( as there always is ) its very stable here with zero crashes in a week of use.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

woodsdenis wrote: I got 9.5 for a few reasons.The upgrade from V3 is very reasonable.
very reasonable?

that sounds like a steal!!!

6 (# of updates since v3) * $129 = $774

compared to $129

yea!!! that is a steal!!!

Enjoy!!!

i am on v8 and i will be waiting for v10... i.e. doing one of you numbers and holdout...

neverenoughfunk wrote:
woodsdenis wrote: I got 9.5 for a few reasons.The upgrade from V3 is very reasonable.
very reasonable?

that sounds like a steal!!!

6 (# of updates since v3) * $129 = $774

compared to $129

yea!!! that is a steal!!!

Enjoy!!!

i am on v8 and i will be waiting for v10... i.e. doing one of you numbers and holdout...
I hear you, I didn't even pay $129, AudioDeluxe. :D
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

A logical alternative: Ableton Live -

https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/ableton ... rtnership/

Things could get very interesting in their camp -
Gerhard Behles, CEO of Ableton, said and/or wrote: "Max always had a vibe around it that we thought was contagious. It was just the most fun thing you could have your computer do."
http://cdm.link/2017/06/conversation-da ... rd-behles/

AL has a slightly more dull look and feel than BWS, so the rewired Reason looks even better with it

anyway all the DAWs are brilliant nowadays only have to find which one(s) can inspire most, personally I would choose a creative one FL,AL,BWS etc. with a rewired Reason + post-processing one > I like Harrison Consoles: Mixbus best
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote:

beautiful setup!!!

i could/would feel at home sitting behind that setup... i.e. productive...

p.s. i prefer the darker skin in Ableton Live...

there are so many combinations of software to use... that why i believe it is best to check out as many demos as you can... the 2 screen setup for a DAW and Reason looks to be ideal... with 1 monitor that setup would become a nightmare... i.e. flipping back and forth from DAW to Reason... to the OP, take your time finding a solution to your music making needs... while testing different applications work on your musical chops... because you are going to need them to go along with the DAW you chose...

Well, Reason seems like it's going to have a new reincarnation cycle and it may end up to be really a killer environment, speculation of course, but with the new VST feature it's already a great fun.
Live can easily Rewire Reason, and perhaps with the acquisition of M4L it could be a total new game in town in the near future.

So, I would get both!
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Just curious, and maybe a little OT, but what is the main reason people Rewire Reason - is it because you like the sound of the Reason instruments and effects, but the audio recording or midi capabilities of the other DAW?

In the old days ( :lol: ) you'd use rewire because you did something you like in reason, but maybe wanted a vst (like ezd)

That is now obsolete.

bharris22 wrote:Just curious, and maybe a little OT, but what is the main reason people Rewire Reason - is it because you like the sound of the Reason instruments and effects, but the audio recording or midi capabilities of the other DAW?
Somewhat, but Reason is still lacking a bunch of modern stock effects and instruments.

As much as people would like to believe that Reason has somehow transformed into a fully featured modern DAW is far from reality, there's a lot that still needs upgrading.

Most of their stock plug-ins are nearly a decade old without a single update. Their sample library is not the most complete or desirable. There's plenty of midi and work flow requests that have been lingering for years.

It's great that Reason now has VSTs, but it's kind of like FL Studio, their stock plug-ins are mediocre and 3rd party plug-ins are required to complete the package.

Bitwig has a more modern take on plug-ins, modulation, automation, live performance and other things that Reason has just lagged behind for the last decade.

It basically comes down to a company that is leading in innovation verses one that is playing catchup for the rest of their existence.

gas pump wrote:..., but it's kind of like FL Studio, their stock plug-ins are mediocre and 3rd party plug-ins are required to complete the package.
What´s the shortcut for "Bullshit"???

bharris22 wrote:Just curious, and maybe a little OT, but what is the main reason people Rewire Reason - is it because you like the sound of the Reason instruments and effects, but the audio recording or midi capabilities of the other DAW?
i used it a lot for a few main reasons...
one, it was solid and reliable ( for me anyhow).
some of the instruments like Thor and Kong drum machine are worth having to rewire alone. i also use the rex player a lot.
also reason only worth using with rewire because its own mixer etc. was not a great sound quality. ( for me anyhow!). rewiring reason is also light on cpu... it is hard to say how it will be with VST support now, my main concern would be it's reliability... it's not the biggest point for me. i would like it if they would overhaul the interface, it's very crabbed i find, and annoying.
break out of the box Propheads : )

gas pump wrote:
Somewhat, but Reason is still lacking a bunch of modern stock effects and instruments.

As much as people would like to believe that Reason has somehow transformed into a fully featured modern DAW is far from reality, there's a lot that still needs upgrading.

Most of their stock plug-ins are nearly a decade old without a single update. Their sample library is not the most complete or desirable. There's plenty of midi and work flow requests that have been lingering for years.

It's great that Reason now has VSTs, but it's kind of like FL Studio, their stock plug-ins are mediocre and 3rd party plug-ins are required to complete the package.

Bitwig has a more modern take on plug-ins, modulation, automation, live performance and other things that Reason has just lagged behind for the last decade.

It basically comes down to a company that is leading in innovation verses one that is playing catchup for the rest of their existence.
Grow up....
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”