Broken elicenser caused licenses to disappear from mysteinberg

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Few days ago my elicenser broke due to electric spice. I got new license dongle and started using "zero downtime system", a 25 hour temporary replacement Steinberg provides.

Steinberg requires you to write and sign a (paper) form to get proper licenses transferred to new dongle. In the form you have to write a list all the products, which were in broken/stolen elicenser. However:

Because the broken elicenser was deactivated (you need to deactivate it to get 25h "zero downtime license"), all installed products from broken elicenser disappeared from mysteinberg too! Why they are not listed as "products installed in broken elicenser"?

Now I have to go through old email confirmations to list all my products. This is cumbersome and error prone. And what if some emails were deleted, is there any way then to get licenses back?

For such cases it would be better customer care to just send in the broken one and get licenses transferred(as your account says) as a Steinberg service and buying the new one - and sent back to you.

And during this the zero downtime should be active with no delay or troubles for customer.

25h - is that all you get?

I know Microsoft has some fast response service for their Xbox consoles - and they reserve an amount on credit card for a new console - and will charge it only if the old console is not sent back to MS. With this principle MS send you replacement before getting old broken one first.

This is for gaming - not professional use for most people.

How about Steinberg do something similar to keep their userbase - a big part professionals - happy and safe and really keep demanding Steinberg products?

Were the products ever listed at MySteinberg? In my experience, only Steinberg software gets listed there. I've tried adding activation codes for third-party software (such as Xils), but the code is never recognised so can't be listed there. Steinberg stuff comes up automatically. It's one of the many flaws Steinberg seems to have in dealing with recovery of licences from broken eLicensers. And it's bizarre, because LCC has to communicate with the Steinberg servers in order to download or transfer licences, so it's not as if there is no way to link the information to an online account.

iLok has its drawbacks but at least the information in the online account reflects what is on each dongle.

Yes, it makes little sense for other companies (not Steinberg) to utilize e-licenser if their license is not administered the same as Steinberg.

How many non-Steinberg companies are still using elicenser? I know of Vengeance Sound...

In any case, let this be a reminder: Keep a record of all of your non-Steinberg licenses in a safe place.

flugel45 wrote:let this be a reminder: Keep a record of all of your non-Steinberg licenses in a safe place.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

flugel45 wrote:How many non-Steinberg companies are still using elicenser? I know of Vengeance Sound...
I've got Virsyn and Xils licences (from before when Xils offered a choice of eLicenser or iLok). And old Arturia and Korg licences, but they've both adopted custom computer C/R systems.

Nowadays you should expect NO SUPPORT AT ALL from Steinberg.
Terrible company.

The normal way of handling this is sending the broken dongle to Steinberg. They can read the licenses that have been on it and transfer them onto a new dongle.

There is no need to keep records about non-Steinberg licences, because you have to send them your dongle anyways. All the companies using eLicenser copy protection (refx, Vengeance, Arturia, ...) won't give you a new licence either before they got the confirmation from Steinberg, that there has been a valid license on the dongle. This is because there are many "customers" claiming their dongle broke, just to get a licence.

Of course it is sad the dongle broke, but the companies often offer a temporarly demo license with an extended time frame. Also on the website, Steinberg writes the zero downtime service is exclusivly to Steinberg-Software.

Gamma-UT wrote:
flugel45 wrote:How many non-Steinberg companies are still using elicenser? I know of Vengeance Sound...
I've got Virsyn and Xils licences (from before when Xils offered a choice of eLicenser or iLok). And old Arturia and Korg licences, but they've both adopted custom computer C/R systems.
As I remember Vienna Ensemble Pro offer eLicenser authorization too.

BlueprintInc wrote:The normal way of handling this is sending the broken dongle to Steinberg. They can read the licenses that have been on it and transfer them onto a new dongle.

There is no need to keep records about non-Steinberg licences, because you have to send them your dongle anyways...
Are you sure about this? OP is saying otherwise, and he's going through it right now. And if the dongle if unreadable even to Steinberg, how are they supposed to know what 3rd party licenses are on it?

Telling everyone "There is no need to keep records about non-Steinberg licences" would seem to fly in the face of logic (for the reason I mention above)....

rasmusklump wrote:Nowadays you should expect NO SUPPORT AT ALL from Steinberg.
Terrible company.
No further explanation why you think that is the case? Mh, ok then, guess your post has to be taken for what it is then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1EG-MKy4so

Everytime you activate or move a license, the elicenser control center has to be online. Because they need to connect to their activation servers. Ont the very bottom end their website says they can not only read out informations from the dongle itself but also from the server history (https://www.steinberg.net/nc/en/support ... oting.html).

Of course you should keep records at least for yourself. So you can justify your a legal customer to the different companies. But I meant it should not be important for getting back the licenses from the broken dongle.
It may be important for that zero downtime feature, because they need to help you very fast. That's what it is for. Filling out a formular to get temporary licences seems to be the fastest way.

flugel45 wrote:
BlueprintInc wrote:The normal way of handling this is sending the broken dongle to Steinberg. They can read the licenses that have been on it and transfer them onto a new dongle.

There is no need to keep records about non-Steinberg licences, because you have to send them your dongle anyways...
Are you sure about this? OP is saying otherwise, and he's going through it right now. And if the dongle if unreadable even to Steinberg, how are they supposed to know what 3rd party licenses are on it?

Telling everyone "There is no need to keep records about non-Steinberg licences" would seem to fly in the face of logic (for the reason I mention above)....
The exact process is that you send the broken Dongle in with a new one. You must have all Steinberg software registered at MySteinberg, also. The reason they want the old is fear of multiple licenses floating around, Steinberg has always been fanatical on this point. They want physical evidence the Dongle is indeed Kaput. The old one could have gotten run over by a street car or unreadable for any other reason, so it is up to you to keep track of any 3rd party licenses it may have held. If there are 3rd party licenses to be dealt with, it should be after the new Dongle arrives and through the companies that issued the licenses.

The whole process should be started immediately after the failure as the no downtime license is limited. I have personally seen the temp license extended if the replacement hasn't arrived and everything's legit.

Not long ago there was no temp license, you waited for snail mail to return a good Dongle to work again. Took a lot of screaming to get the temp licenses in the first place. Actually, it might have been when Steinberg bought Syncrosoft that it was instated to begin with.

Just to let you know, eternal waits for a reply from Steinberg support right now. 25 days so far from a ticket and still not an answer (not being able to use their soft), and 7 days from another one I started. :dog:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”