Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals

Do all DAWs suck?

fedexnman
KVRAF

2255 posts since 3 Jan, 2005

Postby fedexnman; Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:25 pm Re: Do all DAWs suck?

They suck when they crash they suck when an update or new version don't like your plugins , they suck when they don't like your audio interface they suck when they don't like your midi device , they suck when it comes time to upgrade and you get shafted by the new price or subscription plans . Other than that man they sure beat the old cassette four tracks ...
Zexila
KVRAF

2017 posts since 17 Mar, 2008

Postby Zexila; Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:33 pm Re: Do all DAWs suck?

Agree, some of the DAW's can kill the joy of music making with missing features or convoluted ways of doing some things, they all do suck on their own way, but that's life, hardly anything is perfect and how we want it. :ud:
Gearslutz is simply a far more expensive version of people arguing about nonsense. Incubus
goldenanalog
KVRAF

1530 posts since 7 Dec, 2005, from somewhere between analog and digital

Postby goldenanalog; Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:31 pm Re: Do all DAWs suck?

Last edited by goldenanalog on Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
incubus
Banned

Postby incubus; Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:04 pm Re: Do all DAWs suck?

What's next from you people, water isn't wet?

Man some of you sure do make excuses a lot for poor development/progress.

When the aliens crashed and we reverse-engineered their daws, this isn't what they had in mind!
jinotsuh
KVRist

260 posts since 31 May, 2008, from Australia

Postby jinotsuh; Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:11 am Re: Do all DAWs suck?

Do all DAWs suck?

No, Only SONAR :o :hyper: :hihi:
ENV1
KVRAF

1988 posts since 31 Aug, 2011

Postby ENV1; Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:24 am Re: Do all DAWs suck?

Sonar is an exception, it blows.

There is a positive side to this though. Ive recently heard that if you rewire it to Reason, which itself totally sucks, the phases of the blow and the suck will cancel each other out and form the perfect DAW. (Its a new progressive technique touted to be the final solution to the sucky/blowy DAW problem.) Of course we will still need one for DAWs that stink and bite but im sure somebody will come up with something.
Hink
Rad Grandad

26380 posts since 5 Sep, 2003, from Downeast Maine

Postby Hink; Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:51 am Re: Do all DAWs suck?

hollyWorse wrote:
Hink wrote:so what did you expect from this thread?

1. The title is stated in an extreme negative starting the thread off in a negative direction and pretty much inviting controversy

2. The question really boils down to a "what is the best DAW" thread, which has been done to death and those threads pretty much always become controversial

3. Everyone's experience is different so you're going to get many different replies and again pretty much inviting controversy.

Ultimately it will come down to you trying each DAW until you find the one that fits you best, but likely not perfect. There's an awful lot of us who did just that and at the end of the day the pros of our DAWs outweigh the cons for us, but it does come down to what is best for that particular user.

You got that wrong. I wasn't complaining about the thread. I was amazed how quickly it had grown. People seem to like controversy. ;)

I'm not locking this thread yet but I would like to point out that op made one post (of 27 total posts) since this...just saying people might start getting heated for the amusement of another IBTL ;)
xbitz
KVRAF

1797 posts since 3 Oct, 2013, from Budapest

Postby xbitz; Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:05 am Re: Do all DAWs suck?

ENV1 wrote:Sonar is an exception, it blows.

There is a positive side to this though. Ive recently heard that if you rewire it to Reason, which itself totally sucks, the phases of the blow and the suck will cancel each other out and form the perfect DAW. (Its a new progressive technique touted to be the final solution to the sucky/blowy DAW problem.) Of course we will still need one for DAWs that stink and bite but im sure somebody will come up with something.

personally I liked the last sent promo video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnGlXnmiVw8
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat
xbitz
KVRAF

Postby xbitz; Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:56 pm Re: Do all DAWs suck?

btw, Cubase + creating some custom instrument rack container with MUX Modular Synth and Effect Plug-In combo seems the best for me (for general purpose)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aW2V-etw_U

the solution above makes Cubase equivalent with S1 with its Instrument and FX containers but Cubase has better MIDI handling capability and PR (IMO ! ), and MUX far far far better than the container of S1

MUX handles MIDI channels has multi audio-out so quite nice as an AL like rack container which is the biggest absence of Cubase for me (layering, multi-instrument automation, modulation is highly PITA otherwise in it)

Cubase supports ghost clips but automation can be ghosted only on clip level ( CC based only ), with MUX it can be handled quite comfortable as u can see in the video (CC assignments needs only two mouse clicks)
incubus
Banned

Postby incubus; Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:40 pm Re: Do all DAWs suck?

I have an older version of mux I haven't used in years. Maybe I should re-explore?

For all the stalkers out there btw, I successfully use cubase (no, really! :o ) and bitwig all the time. I just think that they still suck because there are too many quirks that don't make any sense.

Reason is also very very stable and works, but has WAY too many workarounds, so I admit I don't really use it.
xbitz
KVRAF

Postby xbitz; Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:00 pm Re: Do all DAWs suck?

Cubase 9(!) is really nice just the instrument stacks/modulation handling is highly PITA in it, this is where MUX can help

if u check the modulation related topics
for ex. https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewto ... 81&t=46895
u can see that there are some devices which contain inner modulation, there is a MIDI LFO

which can be routed to different devices one by one but that's all, MUX has everything lfos/step based/note triggered envelopes etc. and very nice front-end can be built with it (as u can see in the video above) using only drag and drop, found some videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aToZm7F ... 3D9&t=406s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjAED5R ... 0Hb70wy3D9
incubus
Banned

Postby incubus; Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:12 pm Re: Do all DAWs suck?

Cool.
.maki
KVRAF

4279 posts since 21 Jan, 2008, from oO

Postby .maki; Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:43 pm Re: Do all DAWs suck?

bitwig modulators ftw
xbitz
KVRAF

Postby xbitz; Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:37 pm Re: Do all DAWs suck?

I mention Air Music Tech Transfuser too, because this kind of multi-tool also missing from Cubase by default

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcGAbgIa3kg

so yepp Cubase is the best general solution, but it definitely needs some genre specific additionally VSTs to live with it
incubus
Banned

Postby incubus; Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:02 pm Re: Do all DAWs suck?

I love bitwig, but not sure about .maki as a statement.

But then again, it's bitchen when things are cool :cool:
PreviousNext

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)