Cubase 9 Artist - is it worth it

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello kvr i used to play with my Cubase 5 le for years and i like simplicity of it - right now i can upgrade to Cubase 9 le for 9.99 euro but think that maybe it is better to invest more money in Artist version and to continue work with it.If somebody had work with both can you give me advice - for now i just make demos of my soundsets and don't make 'serious' tracks so is it worth to spend 311 euro for Artist - is the difference between both worth the money.Thanks.

VELLISLAV wrote:Hello kvr i used to play with my Cubase 5 le for years and i like simplicity of it - right now i can upgrade to Cubase 9 le for 9.99 euro but think that maybe it is better to invest more money in Artist version and to continue work with it.If somebody had work with both can you give me advice - for now i just make demos of my soundsets and don't make 'serious' tracks so is it worth to spend 311 euro for Artist - is the difference between both worth the money.Thanks.
Is LE9 new?

Not sure about LE - but looking for Elements upgrade to Artist - you get track lanes as one thing. Others stack takes on top of each other.

General for v9 is only 64-bit, and Artist needs hardware lock eLicenser.

So for soundsets I'm not sure I would go for Artist.

There used to be quite extensive comparison in pdf over versions, see if it is still there.

basically i don't need Artist right now but is it worth the money anyway at all - i am interested of working with it long term as producer of EDM,POP and Alternative Rock ,just it's not that cheap compared to FL or Ableton - only because i used to play with le5 i consider it but from price point of view FL Studio is probably the best investment for EDM which is my main genre...

Demo whatever you can and decide for yourself, there's no other way.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Cubase Artist gives you great "bang for the buck" (= great value for the money). I have used Cubase Artist 6.5 for quite some time and the two main hings I didn't like about it:
  • Doesn't allow you to use plugins (for example compressors) with sidechain functionality, unless they are specifically in VST3 format, which many developers don't support because VST3 is a real mess

• You cannot simply render / bounce midi tracks (eg a melody sequence played by an instrument plugin / synth with one click. You have to solo the track that you want to render, export as audio file and re-import the audio each time, while other DAWs (including Cubase Pro) allow you to render and export multiple instrument tracks seperately at once with just a few clicks

These two aspects are the main downsides of Cubase Artist 6.5 and I'm not sure whether they have changed anything about these two major issues in the meantime? I guess it's still impossible to use VST2 compressors for sidechaining and whether they have incorporated the very basic feature of multi-export / rendering of audio in Cubase Artist by now, I 'm not sure about it. I don't expect Steinberg to include the advanced feature set of Cubase Pro (eg 5.1 Surround Mixing, additional effects and instruments...), but the basic functionality should be available IMHO.

"Workflow" is a buzzword that gets needlessly tossed into many conversations. On the other hand it is also something that is critical, and as pointed out, only you can determine.

Since you are familiar with how Cubase works, it comes down to if it works for you. Other tools are fantastic and I use a number of them. But I never fail to get results with Cubase. It is what works for me. I own the full blown Pro version and have upgraded every year on the year since version 6. Every incarnation has been worth every penny to me.

The LE/AI versions are good. The Artist version has a lot more going for it. You would do well to check the For Sale bin here as deals come through all the time.

I've run full versions since SX3, I started on LE1. If your version is working for you, stick with it and save up for the full version. I can't count the people who've bought Artist and upgraded to the full versions to get features they don't have in Artist.

I still have LE1 on an XP system and use it regularly for jamming. No copy protection and 8 VSTi slots make it ideal for no hassle sketch recording, also.

You can upgrade to Cubase Artist 9 for 149 bucks right now, or 269 for Cubase Pro. No need to wait: https://www.steinberg.net/en/landing_pa ... offer.html

I used the full version of Cubase 5 long ago, and I can tell you that Cubase 9 is a huge upgrade over that. You'll definitely like it a lot once you get used to the changes.

If you can afford it, you should totally get the Pro version while it's on sale. Much more freedom than LE. (If you don't have an USB eLicenser, you can buy the upgrade now and activate it later)
Doesn't allow you to use plugins (for example compressors) with sidechain functionality, unless they are specifically in VST3 format, which many developers don't support because VST3 is a real mess
?
Most companies selling VST effects offer VST3 versions of their plugins.

I'm using Artist for a while here now, and don't really miss the functions of the Pro version.

If you want to compare for yourself, check this: https://www.steinberg.net/en/products/c ... rison.html

VELLISLAV wrote:Hello kvr i used to play with my Cubase 5 le for years and i like simplicity of it - right now i can upgrade to Cubase 9 le for 9.99 euro but think that maybe it is better to invest more money in Artist version and to continue work with it.If somebody had work with both can you give me advice - for now i just make demos of my soundsets and don't make 'serious' tracks so is it worth to spend 311 euro for Artist - is the difference between both worth the money.Thanks.
Why not upgrade to Cubase Elements? With an LE license you can get it for half-price.

Be warned though: Side-chaining isn't possible at all in Cubase Elements (not even with the group channel workaround). And, as far as i remember, recording from a VSTi isn't possible either, because the routing in Elements is very limited. IIRC, those were the two major issues why i upgraded to Cubase Artist.

Romantique Tp wrote:You can upgrade to Cubase Artist 9 for 149 bucks right now, or 269 for Cubase Pro. No need to wait: https://www.steinberg.net/en/landing_pa ... offer.html

I used the full version of Cubase 5 long ago, and I can tell you that Cubase 9 is a huge upgrade over that. You'll definitely like it a lot once you get used to the changes.

If you can afford it, you should totally get the Pro version while it's on sale. Much more freedom than LE. (If you don't have an USB eLicenser, you can buy the upgrade now and activate it later)
Doesn't allow you to use plugins (for example compressors) with sidechain functionality, unless they are specifically in VST3 format, which many developers don't support because VST3 is a real mess
?
Most companies selling VST effects offer VST3 versions of their plugins.
where u see these prices - it let me only to buy pro 9 for 449 euro as upgrade of le 5...think to make comparison with fl studio these days to see what new there...

DAWs are like children's clothes - you don't buy clothes that fit, you buy clothes that are too big so that the child will "grow into them".
Same with a DAW - you may not need all that functionality now, but...

VELLISLAV wrote: where u see these prices - it let me only to buy pro 9 for 449 euro as upgrade of le 5...think to make comparison with fl studio these days to see what new there...
Use the code shown at the top of the page, UPGRADE17
You'll then see the discounted prices.

As for FL vs Cubase, Cubase is a lot more versatile overall so I think it might be the better choice for someone working with multiple styles. Pop music in particular would benefit a lot from the mixing capabilities of Cubase Artist/Pro.
Googly Smythe wrote:DAWs are like children's clothes - you don't buy clothes that fit, you buy clothes that are too big so that the child will "grow into them".
Same with a DAW - you may not need all that functionality now, but...
Agreed.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”