Automap 4.10 and Sonar Platinum

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I am ready to destroy my studio.........

Running Sonar Platinum, with the lifetime updates, on win 10, i7 6750, 32 GB RAM, Komplete Audio 6 interface. Various VSTs.

Bought a Novation Impulse 61, having seen that is claims integration with Sonar via Automap.

Ran the install, ensured all my VSTs are linked, but none of them map through, and the transport controls are very hit and miss - sometimes the mixer works, sometimes it doesn't.

Anybody acutally managed to get Automap & Sonar Platinum working?

On the brink of returning it and getting the Roland A800.

thanks

J

Did you make sure to run Sonar as as admin user? I just set up Automap in Studio One 3, and realized that i had to run both Automap and Studio One with admin rights, because, otherwise, none of the mappable/automatable parameters show up in Automap. Also make sure that Automap 4.10 supports the latest version of Sonar. For example, it does NOT support Cubase 9, yet. They say they work on it, but, hm... Automap 4.10 is released since 1 year and 2 months now...

Just took a look, and Novations site says that Automap 4.10 supports Sonar Platinum. So, should work i guess, although i am not familiar with the versioning in Sonar.

I also have a Novation Impulse 49. Never managed to get Automap running well with Studio One. It's an absolute pain in the arse. Consider the new Komplete Kontrol S61 MK2 - that thing works at least. I'll sell my Novation keyboard next month. The hardware itself is okay but the software is total garbage. I was also thinking about an Akai Advance but I totally dislike iLok so no Akai for me.

TheKid wrote:I also have a Novation Impulse 49. Never managed to get Automap running well with Studio One. It's an absolute pain in the arse.
You know what? I felt EXACTLY the same, after i initially tried to set up Automap. :lol: Especially when i, because i didn't know it better, activated all my plugins for Automap, and got all those nice *(Automap).dll files in the plugin folders, and displayed in the DAW... then i tried to map the plugins via the Automap editor, and it didn't display the automatable parameters, because i didn't run the DAW, or Automap as administrator. Oh, and before that, Automap always crashed when i tried to activate the plugins, for the same reason, because i didn't run it as admin. When i did that, and also ran the DAW as admin, it was pretty straight forward from there. Nonetheless Automap seems to be a big buggy, and it crashed Studio One at least once here. Still, the only way you can map different pages of controls for the knobs and faders, when you use it as a standard MIDI device, you can only map the physical amount of controls on the keyboard.

Regarding the Komplete keyboards, yeah, i would also buy one, if i had the money. Still, quite expensive keyboards. But, surely nice, no doubt. What kind of software do NI use to map the controls? Similar to Automap?

Automap is a pile of crap. I gave up trying to get it working properly years ago and use my Novation as a standard midi controller.

chk071 wrote:
TheKid wrote:What kind of software do NI use to map the controls? Similar to Automap?
NI developed .NKS, Native Kontrol Standard: https://www.native-instruments.com/de/s ... plete/nks/
The developer of a VST has to support the NKS format (quite a lot already do).

I bought some thing equipped with Automap, not long after Cubase 5 came out, and Novation had not made it work with C5. The support was terrible, useless; they acted like there was a workaround and it did nothing. Not very responsive or timely, the whole experience an utter waste of time. The thing took over all controls and didn't work at all, it was scary.
The device itself was a POS, too. I sold it at a loss.

TheKid wrote:
chk071 wrote:
TheKid wrote:What kind of software do NI use to map the controls? Similar to Automap?
NI developed .NKS, Native Kontrol Standard: https://www.native-instruments.com/de/s ... plete/nks/
The developer of a VST has to support the NKS format (quite a lot already do).
Right, i actually read about that, and also remember the NI NKS sales with the Waldorf plugins... :dog: Anyway, i'm sure it's great. I'll surely keep an eye on the NI controller in the future.

Well... after testing Automap for a week now, i decided to switch back to good old MIDI CC mapping, Studio One Control Link, respectively. Not alone did i have to run Automap and Studio One as a admin, saving all the preference, and song files to the admin user's Documents files, but, Automap is also very, very buggy. Either the Automap Server application crashes, or Autmoap simply stops working when you control your plugins in the DAW (you move the controls on your keyboard, and the parameter values are frozen...). There are some positive sides about it, using several pages of controls e.g., or that the parameter values work in "pick-up" mode, but, it's not working stable and good enough for me. Most of the time, i'd want to change the parameters with the mouse anyway, because, when it comes to 5 of 6 pages of knob mappings, it can get confusing quickly, especially when you mapped those 5 or 6 pages a bit differently from synths to synth.

Thanks guys, I'll try the Sonar as admin route. See where that takes me. Automap created all the automap.dll copies of the VSTs, so now I have double the amount of VSTs but no control! Great.

Here in the UK, in Sheffield where I live, there is something called Synthfest happening in October (synthfest.co.uk). Novation have a stall there, so I may just go see if I can get some sense from them too.

The event itself looks great too.

cheers

J

Doesnt Sonar's own 'ACT' controller mapping do most of what Automap does anyway?

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation? ... es.15.html
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

not sure, hope so! I've uninstalled and deleted all things Automap as it knackered Sonar up, got v glitchy

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”