Ableton LIVE 10 ... Officially Announced. (plus: Buy LIVE 9 now with 20% discount, get LIVE 10 free)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Live

As predicted, here it is... it's officially official:

https://www.ableton.com/en/live/

Standout improvement for me is:
Using Max For Live is simpler, quicker and more reliable. Significant improvements under the hood mean Max For Live devices now load faster, use less CPU and feel more like Live’s native devices.

:D

Also predicted (based on previous history) was the fact that, once LIVE 10 was announced, you could buy LIVE 9 and get LIVE 10 free when officially released. Added bonus: You can get LIVE 9 with a 20% discount.

https://www.ableton.com/en/shop/live/
Terms and conditions

Offer is available at Ableton.com and at your local reseller from now until the release of Live 10.
Full and upgrade versions of Ableton Live 9 Standard and Suite include a free upgrade to their respective editions of Live 10 – to be issued upon its release. Those purchasing Live 9 Intro with or without Push will receive a new L10 Intro license upon its release.
A 20% discount is also available for Packs, Max for Live and other software in the Ableton webshop, with the exception of educational versions of Live, multi-licenses and Not-For-Resale software versions (NFRs). Discount offer may be combined with the Push bundle discount.
Push is excluded from this offer.
Final prices may vary depending on your country of residence.

--------- original prediction post + edits below ---------------
edit 3:
It seems, as predicted, the LIVE 10 announcement is coming at the LOOP summit coming in a couple weeks ... someone on reddit took a sneaky pic of promotional material he caught a glimpse of at a shop (apparently) that seems to confirm Ableton 10 is going to be announced imminently, and also seemingly confirms the usual 'Buy LIVE 9 now, get LIVE 10 free when it's released' promotion when the announcement drops. Psyched!

Should we be cautious that this pic is faked ? ... damn good fake if it is!
It's the final piece of evidence I need to feel like this is a certainty now.

thanks to user m03 for posting the pic to the thread. I have included it here in the original post (i saved a copy of this one just in case! should have done that for some previous screenshots before they got taken down):

(I also found a second pic myself, probably from the same user on reddit)

edit 2:
Further evidence that supports the notion that Ableton LIVE 10 (announcement at least) is imminent .... Ableton reveal that, later this year, LIVE will be a 64bit only app.

http://cdm.link/2017/10/ableton-live-going-64-bit-mean/

edit 1:
Check this tweet ...
https://twitter.com/mrbillstunes/status ... 5799578626
Some of my friends have @ableton 10 beta & can't stfu about it, and I'm over here like 1) f**k u & 2) Live 10 is totally a thing. Nice
I'm not familiar with this guy, but from checking his profile and website he seems like a 'serious' person, has a professional looking ableton live tutorial site ... and, judging by his twitter feed, was recently working on a collaboration with deadmau5 (confirmed by verified deadmau5 account).

So he's certainly operating in circles that I imagine are likely to be involved in a pre-public Ableton Live beta.

Stay tuned for Ableton LIVE 10 announcement at the next LOOP gathering (Nov 10 - 12) ??
https://loop.ableton.com/

-----original post below------

Some eagle-eyed folk of the Ableton community spotted what may well be a LIVE 10 beta out in the wild. About two weeks ago a video of DJ Jazzy Jeff creating a beat from some sampled vinyl was uploaded to youtube. It's when the video gets to shots of his LIVE Session that the eagle eyes spotted some things.

Granted, the screenshots don't reveal anything sexy ... but it bodes well for a relatively imminent release if they've rolled out betas to the likes of Jazzy Jeff, stable enough that he's happy to perform/produce with it for an audience ..... November Launch/Announcement at their next LOOP event, perhaps ?

Btw, In the interest of full disclosure: I don't own LIVE 9 (I own 8 though), so have not been able to critically judge this data, but it seems legit to me given the reaction over at Ableton, so I'm confident enough to repeat it. Apologies in advance if I've been had.

[Screen shots from the video are posted below, as well as the video link (skip to around 4:10 ...)]

So what you're seeing is .... the top of the browser section has a 'COLLECTIONS' title, and what appears to be a tag filter beside it that currently says 'No Filter' ... there is also some red/orange coloured item in the browser (apparently no such thing exists in LIVE 9). Clips in the timeline appear coloured, not just the headers ... (is this possible with a skin ?)

This doesn't happen in LIVE 9 (clip view stays the same size)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzNTC7q4lhE

(btw, that tilted and wrist-cushioned stand/enclosure that Jeff is using for his Push is pretty kool looking, anyone know where he got it from ?)
Last edited by Daags on Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Installed the latest Ableton 9 beta last night it has support for Roli Blocks and Roli released a new Dashboard with an Ableton preset for the Lightpad which enables it to launch clips :)

Jax Pok wrote:Installed the latest Ableton 9 beta last night it has support for Roli Blocks and Roli released a new Dashboard with an Ableton preset for the Lightpad which enables it to launch clips :)

cool story. Not sure how this is relevant to the thread.

Daags wrote:
Jax Pok wrote:Installed the latest Ableton 9 beta last night it has support for Roli Blocks and Roli released a new Dashboard with an Ableton preset for the Lightpad which enables it to launch clips :)

cool story. Not sure how this is relevant to the thread.
It's an added feature to Live 9 thus a new feature for Live 10. Thought that was obvious.

Jax Pok wrote:It's an added feature to Live 9 thus a new feature for Live 10. Thought that was obvious.
If it's an added feature to Live 9 isn't it a new feature for Live 9 (more specifically 9.7.5) ?

mcbpete wrote:
Jax Pok wrote:
Jax Pok wrote:It's an added feature to Live 9 thus a new feature for Live 10. Thought that was obvious.
If it's an added feature to Live 9 isn't it a new feature for Live 9 (more specifically 9.7.5) ?

Oh I didn't see the 9.7.5 I thought I was running Live 10. :clap:

mcbpete wrote:

:tu:

also bumping for new tweet evidence in support of the notion that Ableton LIVE 10 is imminent ...

Check this tweet ...
https://twitter.com/mrbillstunes/status ... 5799578626
Some of my friends have @ableton 10 beta & can't stfu about it, and I'm over here like 1) f**k u & 2) Live 10 is totally a thing. Nice

I'm not familiar with this guy, but from checking his profile and website he seems like a 'serious' person, has a professional looking ableton live tutorial site ... and, judging by his twitter feed, was recently working on a collaboration with deadmau5 (confirmed by verified deadmau5 account).

So he's certainly operating in circles that I imagine are likely to be involved in a pre-public Ableton Live beta.

Stay tuned for Ableton LIVE 10 announcement at the next LOOP gathering (Nov 10 - 12) ??
https://loop.ableton.com/

i hope they do announce live 10 soon i am curious about what will be new

I'm still predicting a public beta around November/December time, with a March 2018 release. *fingers crossed*

DubLifeSD wrote:I'm still predicting a public beta around November/December time, with a March 2018 release. *fingers crossed*
Not sure when exactly the public beta will be, but I'm feeling confident the announcement comes at the next LOOP (November 10th - 12th). Fingers crossed indeed. Public beta release probably won't take much time after ... I suspect it may be an extended beta period, beyond March...

Anyway, the announcement is more significant for me since, typically, it means you can then buy live 9 and receive a live 10 license when it is released.

Ableton have tended to avoid pushing products at LOOP (which has earned them a lot of respect), so not sure they would announce Live 10 there, as it could overshadow the event quite a bit, perhaps they could announce just before, so there is a buzz there, and some hands-on workshops - but not be seen as pushing Live at the event.

I'm in two minds about excitement for Live 10 - for me its, likely a make or break,
if it has multichannel midi on a track - I'll be over the moon, probably ditch other daws (particularly BWS)
if it doesn't, then I'll likely give up on Live having in in any reasonable time frame (next 2-3 years), so move away.

(I'm hoping their recent added support for Roli blocks at least means they've seen the controllers ;))

thetechnobear wrote:Ableton have tended to avoid pushing products at LOOP
The first LOOP summit was in 2015 .... The last major LIVE version was released in 2013.

Sooo.... ya.

My money's still on announcement at LOOP ... and if they're concerned about 'overshadowing' the summit, well, it's hard to overshadow something if the announcement comes at the END of the summit. Nov 10 - 12

anyway, there's no make or break for me really. I'm up to my neck in Ableton's session view, and I already own a license, and have oodles upon oodles of archived Ableton projects. I don't mind using another product for detailed arrangement work. If BitWig Studio abandon their insane de facto subscription business model, there could possibly be a future where I 'abandon' LIVE's session view in favour of BitWig ... but 'abandon' really wouldn't be the right word, I'd still own a license, and probably still use it for MAX related stuff.

As far as what I want out of Live 10 .... well, I want Live 9 first and foremost (so I'm hanging on that 10 announcement, for best bang-for-buck ratio). In 10, the main thing I'd really go ape shit, bat shit, insane-o crazy to see would be fully native modulation sources (something I've been feature-requesting since LIVE 4, but hope dies last amirite ?) .... using M4L for modulation is awful, and it's pretty much the main reason BitWig would be an attractive session view alternative (were it not for the toxic, radioactive, impossible to over come, subscription (de facto) business model)

imo, ymmv, god bless america.

I switched over to BWS about 2 years ago but I have kept my live suite licence 'just in case' they do something really cool....if its just 'catch up' with BWS I will probably let my licence go. I also have a lot of packs and really was a fan of Live, but they just didn't deliver on the 'requested' features (some of which were quite simple) whilst they were pushing Push....

Regarding the 'insane de facto subscription business model' of BWS, I really don't think you can call it subscription when you own the licence 'for ever' and can continue to use it without paying subscription. Its really just a standard 'V2' paid upgrade with years free updates, and we have had some great free updates with 2.1 and 2.2 plus there have still be small updates/bug fixes to the old V1 version so I don't think anyone needs to be overlay concerned about this.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote:Regarding the 'insane de facto subscription business model' of BWS, I really don't think you can call it subscription when you own the licence 'for ever' and can continue to use it without paying subscription. Its really just a standard 'V2' paid upgrade with years free updates, and we have had some great free updates with 2.1 and 2.2 plus there have still be small updates/bug fixes to the old V1 version so I don't think anyone needs to be overlay concerned about this.

I don't give a shit what you think, you drank the kool aid and that's fine. Go ahead and bump the relevant BitWig Studio 2 thread here in the hosts forum if you want to re-discuss it further. And try and wrap your head around the meaning of 'de facto' while you're at it, and what that might imply.

suffice to say: I don't like the model, and it's keeping me (and others) from purchasing. Wring your hands about the wording all you like, but take it to the BitWig Studio 2 thread. K ? k !

I would call it Ableton Live X :lol:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”