Which DAW do you wish you started on?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

.jon wrote:
bmanic wrote:I would not take back a single minute of any of them. Why? Because it all taught me various lessons and gave new ideas on how to work things.
I'm not sure about that. The only thing I learnt from Reaper was that life's too short to waste on subpar garbage, and tbh that's kinda common knowledge.
Reaper = Garbage?
software i don't get on well with is not necessarily 'garbage'. a little dismissive..
in fact i am hard pressed to call any daws i have used 'garbage'. they may not chime with me but, as is the case with Cakewalk, it just didn't suit what i wanted to do.
calling a DAW garbage that costs peanuts but is very powerful, that's a little off-hand perhaps?

Soundtracker of course :hihi: Oh, actually that s true, but I wish I started with Renoise. But it were different times and possibilities then.

inkwarp wrote: software i don't get on well with is not necessarily 'garbage'. a little dismissive..
in fact i am hard pressed to call any daws i have used 'garbage'. they may not chime with me but, as is the case with Cakewalk, it just didn't suit what i wanted to do.
calling a DAW garbage that costs peanuts but is very powerful, that's a little off-hand perhaps?
Dismissive? Off-hand? I'm not talking about people, but computer programs. They don't have feelings.

what are you talking about.
i am referring to software and 'not people'.
if you make a statement dismissing software as "garbage", justify it.

I made a statement about life being too short for wasting it on subpar garbage. Does that need justifying?

I'm happy to expand on my opinion on Reaper, the unintuitive, unreliable and unstable overengineered but underdesigned platform for scripting, skinning and software configuration enthusiasts, but frankly I don't think anyone else but hardcore fanboys give a f**k about such opinions, and all the rest have better things to do.

Really odd to talk about "wasting [life] on garbage" when you introduced it in the first place. Most people would simply not mention it at all.

I have a long history on DAWs, and music software before they were called DAWs :D, so I don't know... As in, I started out on early trackers and MIDI only sequencers, but if I was starting out today, I wouldn't necessarily want to start on a tracker, for example. These were the only stuff available at the time, though, so I think this future me still would like the past me to start the way he did, haha. I consider it an educational experience on many music/audio principles, as you worked so hands-on with sound and had to craft and figure out so much manually.

These days I use Reaper and Live, choosing the environment depending on the project. If I started out today, I know I could really count on either one of those, offering me the depth and trustworthiness I appreciate in a software environment, and then be well on my way.

Atari ST
I would be so good right now If I had started before 2010

Pretty satisfied that I started out programming blips and bloops on early personal computers as a child. It's a fun journey. Tried and used many things along the way and still open to anything that improves my workflow.

At some point DAWs will be replaced by interfaces into our brains and we'll imagine sounds and music and >poof< there it is. People without imaginations will have to stick with DAWs, and other people will say "I wish I started on the Mind Audio Workstation!"

The one all the cool kids started out with.

You know. So I could be cool too. Accepted and all approved by everybody else and shit.

DubTurbo
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

inkwarp wrote:what are you talking about.
i am referring to software and 'not people'.
if you make a statement dismissing software as "garbage", justify it.
Trash by iZotope is Garbage.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

OK that got a chuckle :lol:

I was destined to start with Logic but then they dropped windows support. Took a long time to get my bearings. messed around with Cubase. Love it but does not have ARA and a few workflow issues prevent me making it my main DAW. Now it is Studio One 3.5 or Sonar Platinum or Samplitude. They are all so good and they have ARA. I would now prefer Reaper or FL Studio if they had ARA for Melodyne. Prefer DAW's with a native 32/64 bit bridge.

I started out on Tracktion 1 nfr and I got it free ..... So can't really say that I wished I'd a paid a bunch of money for Cakewalk , Live , Cubase , Logic , or ProTools , those were the days .....

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”