Ableton Live 10 Public Beta

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Live

Jax Pok wrote:Was expecting a mess but it's rock solid even with many of my third party plugins.
It's nearly all interface tweaks plus some new instruments. Not a lot to mess up.

i like the wave synth a lot. Big CPU as you’d expect. but one thing missing is a ‘random’ mod source. any hints? i use random mod in massive to futz up the oscillator pitch just enough to make it sound real and... i kinda need to be able to do that in for the sounds to be right.

n9 wrote:i like the wave synth a lot. Big CPU as you’d expect. but one thing missing is a ‘random’ mod source. any hints? i use random mod in massive to futz up the oscillator pitch just enough to make it sound real and... i kinda need to be able to do that in for the sounds to be right.
Well, there is a random mode in the M4L LFO effect, you can map it to whatever parameter you want to modulate in the wave synth. Theres no doubt a myriad of alternatives to that as well. Midishaper, LFO Tool etc...

*Duhr, additionally, the wave synth's own LFO's have a random mode, I thought that icon on the end
was S/H for some reason. Thats what I get for turning off the help panel...
Last edited by pekbro on Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonljacobi wrote:
Jax Pok wrote:Was expecting a mess but it's rock solid even with many of my third party plugins.
It's nearly all interface tweaks plus some new instruments. Not a lot to mess up.
Sure, that's all they did, just so long as you only plan on looking at it.

thecontrolcentre wrote:
dogzilla wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:
soundlabatl wrote:
paulbreeze wrote:Was anybody able to install any of the 5 new packs?
Installed the Drum Essentials, Drum Booth, & Synth Essentials so far. Waiting to install the Keyboards as it’s above 2GB download size. The synth pack is rather nice from my brief experimentation with it. will dive into the others when I have a free moment
Where do you download the new packs? I have the beta up and running, but can't find any info about the new packs.
Forget it ... I found them in my account :oops:
You know you can download and install them directly from Ableton's browser now? Just scroll down to the bottom of your Packs folder and you'll find pack Updates and Available Packs.
Thanks. I wasn't aware of that. Just started downloading them ... its gonna take more than 12 hours :help: :hyper:

I've had no issues running the beta so far (Win 8.1), and I absolutely love the Wavetable Synth. The display on Push2 for the new features is awesome too ...
I just found the update feature for previously installed packs. Nice way to be sure you're up to date, but I have so many packs to update its going to take all day. Still had zero issues with 10. Seems rock solid 8)

elxsound wrote:
jonljacobi wrote:
Sure, that's all they did, just so long as you only plan on looking at it.
My point was that they didn't mess with the engine, or the transmission, or suspension so it should still move along the highway.
Last edited by jonljacobi on Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

pekbro wrote:
n9 wrote:i like the wave synth a lot. Big CPU as you’d expect. but one thing missing is a ‘random’ mod source. any hints? i use random mod in massive to futz up the oscillator pitch just enough to make it sound real and... i kinda need to be able to do that in for the sounds to be right.
Well, there is a random mode in the M4L LFO effect, you can map it to whatever parameter you want to modulate in the wave synth. Theres no doubt a myriad of alternatives to that as well. Midishaper, LFO Tool etc...

*Duhr, additionally, the wave synth's own LFO's have a random mode, I thought that icon on the end
was S/H for some reason. Thats what I get for turning off the help panel...

Random sources in synths provide a single random mod value per note on key press, like velocity, but random. Using other sources would provide continuous modulation that would be the same for all notes.

n9 wrote:
Random sources in synths provide a single random mod value per note on key press, like velocity, but random. Using other sources would provide continuous modulation that would be the same for all notes.
Ok, I get what you're saying. I wonder if thats a bug, it doesn't say anything about that
LFO shape not being affected by the re-trigger parameter in the manual. It works for the others.
If its by design, that seems an odd decision. Why should you need a source for a random generator.
Other than Math.random()

pekbro wrote:
n9 wrote:
Ok, I get what you're saying. I wonder if thats a bug, it doesn't say anything about that
LFO shape not being affected by the re-trigger parameter in the manual. It works for the others.
If its by design, that seems an odd decision. Why should you need a source for a random generator.
Other than Math.random()
I'm not 100% sure this is exactly the problem, but think about this - in order to re-trigger something (an LFO, in this example) you need a trigger. In Live, once MIDI information gets to the instrument, it's being transformed into audio signal and MIDI information is not passed further anymore to the LFO that's placed after the instrument in devices chain. If possible, try putting the LFO before the instrument or at least in parallel to it, e.g. using the Instrument Rack - maybe this will make R to work? Can't try now, I'm at work :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Just to be clear,

In the wave synth, all the LFO's but the random waveform, can run through their entire cycles without being re-triggered by note input. You have to make sure there are no targets in the midi matrix affecting them, as well as having re-trigger off. The random waveform seems to trigger with every note regardless of the trigger setting.

Ive only had a very quick chance to fire this up, but am I missing something; is the new Capture feature MIDI-only? :(
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:Ive only had a very quick chance to fire this up, but am I missing something; is the new Capture feature MIDI-only? :(
Correct, midi only.

pekbro wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:Ive only had a very quick chance to fire this up, but am I missing something; is the new Capture feature MIDI-only? :(
Correct, midi only.
Big missed opportunity, then. Sigh.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

pekbro wrote:Just to be clear,

In the wave synth, all the LFO's but the random waveform, can run through their entire cycles without being re-triggered by note input. You have to make sure there are no targets in the midi matrix affecting them, as well as having re-trigger off. The random waveform seems to trigger with every note regardless of the trigger setting.
Oh, then this indeed seems like a bug.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Anyone know if you purchase/pre-order 10 now, if you get access to the new packs, or is that only those on beta list?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”