Cubase 9.5 launch today!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Cubase Pro 13

Thanks for the response. I wouldn't expect a free upgrade if I buy used, it's just there are still retailers selling version 9 for less than the Steinberg store, so I could save a few bucks, but not worth it if I need to then pay for the update..

Can somebody familiar with Logic and Cubase answer me just some questions?

Does the Cubase "Render in Place" work like Logic´s "Bounce in Place", can i choose not to render volume/pan automation and thus have it copied to the new file but not printed in the file? Only printing the inserts?
While doing this does it copy the Bus assignements?
Can i render in place a file to "the selected track"?
Any easy way to render a stereo kick drum file into a mono kick drum file?

And the "Quick Controls" or "VST Controls", do they work like Logic´s "Smart Controls"?
Do they work with 3rd party VSTi and FX VST? All the videos for this that i have seen use Steinberg VSTs to show it. Thats all cool but i would like to know if they work with 3rd party stuff also.
Thank you!

Anyone? :help:

No one answered, so I'll try, though, I have not used Logic for some years.

For render in place you have these options:
a) DRY - audio without any inserts or sends or master FX,
b) CHANNEL SETTINGS - audio with channel inserts (without SENDS and master FX),
c) COMPLETE SIGNAL PATH - audio with channel inserts and sends,
d) COMPLETE SIGNAL PATH + MASTER FX - speaks for itself

MONO or STEREO - it matters from the source, but you can actually use also FILE > EXPORT and check the selcted track, mixdown to MONO and to import the rendered file in project automatically after render (almost the same as render in place but the whole sequence and not the selected part) and manually by preference bypass all inserts or sends in prior.

Regarding Quick Controls (QC) you have - standard selected track QC and VSTi QC jointly operating. For instance, all instruments ar mapped to VSTi QC midi controller and all other plugins are mapped to standard QC midi controller. Standard QC are limited to 8 controls per channel, but VSTi QC can have many pages of 8 controls as you like. Yes, it works with all, including 3rd party, plugins.

Hope this helps

NNevez wrote:Can somebody familiar with Logic and Cubase answer me just some questions?

Does the Cubase "Render in Place" work like Logic´s "Bounce in Place", can i choose not to render volume/pan automation and thus have it copied to the new file but not printed in the file? Only printing the inserts?
Any easy way to render a stereo kick drum file into a mono kick drum file?

And the "Quick Controls" or "VST Controls", do they work like Logic´s "Smart Controls"?
Do they work with 3rd party VSTi and FX VST? All the videos for this that i have seen use Steinberg VSTs to show it. Thats all cool but i would like to know if they work with 3rd party stuff also.
Thank you!

That sure helped, thank you for you´re response!
That was very clear.

Just a last one, so you can´t choose to render to a new track or to "the selected track"?

Thank you!

Was going to respond to this but I forgot.
NNevez wrote: Does the Cubase "Render in Place" work like Logic´s "Bounce in Place", can i choose not to render volume/pan automation and thus have it copied to the new file but not printed in the file? Only printing the inserts?
AFAIK you have to disable "Read Automation" for that track before rendering, then copy the automation manually (paste with Alt+V). I don't remember if there was an easier way to do this
Yes.
I think it always renders to a new audio track just below what you're rendering.
Thank you!
Yes, quick controls work with all VST plugins, even VST2 effects and instruments.

Thank you for the the answers, that was very helpful!

This just made me realize how good (for me) Logic´s bounce in place works.

Ability to print to a new track or to the selected track.
Option to copy or print to the new file both volume/pan automation.
Include or not include tail in the new file. No need to define the tail seconds, Logic does that automatically.

I would like to see this features in Cubase.

Glad it helped.

It always creates a new track/file, but you have several options as to: KEEP SOURCE TRACK UNCHANGED, HIDE SOURCE TRACK, MUTE SOURCE TRACK, DISABLE SOURCE TRACK, REMOVE SOURCE TRACK

So, in the end more options

NNevez wrote:That sure helped, thank you for you´re response!
That was very clear.

Just a last one, so you can´t choose to render to a new track or to "the selected track"?

Thank you!

In Cubase you can define the tail size also by bars (which is helpful)

I just set my default render settings, for instance, 4 BARS, mute source track and just RENDER (with current settings).

Cubase has option render as separate events, but I have not tried that

NNevez wrote:Thank you for the the answers, that was very helpful!

This just made me realize how good (for me) Logic´s bounce in place works.

Ability to print to a new track or to the selected track.
Option to copy or print to the new file both volume/pan automation.
Include or not include tail in the new file. No need to define the tail seconds, Logic does that automatically.

I would like to see this features in Cubase.

Yes, it has a lot of options. Going to have to explore that.
I would still like to see those features implemented though.

Thank you for you´re responses!

Can I delete Cubase 8.5 and 9 after upgrading to 9.5 without losing content?

all were upgrades

bundoo wrote:Can I delete Cubase 8.5 and 9 after upgrading to 9.5 without losing content?

all were upgrades
Yes, just pick the Cubase 8.5 and Cubase 9 entries in "Programs and Features" and everything else will be left untouched. The content is installed into its own folder.

Romantique Tp wrote:
bundoo wrote:Can I delete Cubase 8.5 and 9 after upgrading to 9.5 without losing content?

all were upgrades
Yes, just pick the Cubase 8.5 and Cubase 9 entries in "Programs and Features" and everything else will be left untouched. The content is installed into its own folder.
I would advice to use the specific Steinberg installer for uninstalling. Whenever I uninstall via the Windows function some files from other versions or some content were missing.

Both only delete the C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase {{version}}\ folder, which isn't checked by any other version of Cubase for anything.

It's something else that caused them to be missing for you, likely using the wrong installer. The update installer is only for people going from the previous version to the current one (like from 9 to 9.5). If you skipped versions (like going from 8.5 to 9.5) you'll have to use the full 10GB~ installer.

hmm I just activated my 9.5 trial... hue annoyance spotted.

- chose the 'arrow' tool (press 1) - it does NOT happen with every tool
- mousedown with left mouse in the project window were you make your arrangement on a free spot
- release it after a second or a bit longer and observe the screen while doing this

result: the color from the whole cubase window gets a tiny tiny bit darker while you hold the button down? This is a really annoying subtle flicker.

Can you test if it's the same for you?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”