DAW with best media/file browser?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've been hunting for this info online but have not been able to find an answer.

Which DAW has the 'best'/fully featured media/file browser?

I'm only familiar with Cubase and Live, and Live's is terrible IMO as it's so basic. The best it can do is play samples in time with your project.

Cubase on the other hand has a vast array of metadata options if you wish to use them, and crucially, lets you rate a resource out of five stars. I find this invaluable for managing my samples, midi files and 'midi loops' (Cubase speak for a part that is MIDI+instrument). Plus, it lets you preview midi files you have in your library in time and key(!) with the a current projects instrument of your choice, which I sometimes find really useful.

So, please advise on what other DAWs can do in such respects, as i'm keen to hear.

:)

Bitwig is nice too, favorites/star rating and project tempo sync.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

barryfell wrote: Cubase on the other hand has a vast array of metadata options if you wish to use them, and crucially, lets you rate a resource out of five stars. I find this invaluable for managing my samples, midi files and 'midi loops' (Cubase speak for a part that is MIDI+instrument). Plus, it lets you preview midi files you have in your library in time and key(!) with the a current projects instrument of your choice, which I sometimes find really useful.
"ok now I need a 3 stars bass... lets see what I got" :D

Jolaff wrote:
barryfell wrote: Cubase on the other hand has a vast array of metadata options if you wish to use them, and crucially, lets you rate a resource out of five stars. I find this invaluable for managing my samples, midi files and 'midi loops' (Cubase speak for a part that is MIDI+instrument). Plus, it lets you preview midi files you have in your library in time and key(!) with the a current projects instrument of your choice, which I sometimes find really useful.
"ok now I need a 3 stars bass... lets see what I got" :D
A '3 star bass' just means it has potential to be a '5 star bass' IMO. :D

Seriously though, how are people dealing with resource management? :?:

I remember the days Cubase couldn't even preview a sample in time with the project. :lol:

barryfell wrote:
Jolaff wrote: Seriously though, how are people dealing with resource management? :?:
Both the DAWs you mention are cross platform, and you don't say which one you're on. :wink:

If you're on macOS, check out AudioFinder: http://www.icedaudio.com

There's nothing as good on Windows that I'm aware of. Of the DAWs I've used, Cubase's Media Bay is the best, and it just got an upgrade with 9.5.

It's almost enough to make me want to update... almost.

telecharge wrote:
barryfell wrote:
Jolaff wrote: Seriously though, how are people dealing with resource management? :?:
Both the DAWs you mention are cross platform, and you don't say which one you're on. :wink:

There's nothing as good on Windows that I'm aware of. Of the DAWs I've used, Cubase's Media Bay is the best, and it just got an upgrade with 9.5.

To clarify, I was only referring to DAW media/file browsers, not standalone ones like AudioFinder. As good as that is i've heard, not having it integrated in a DAW means it can't do some crucial things.

The MediaBay in recent versions of Cubase and Nuendo is the best one by far. Very happy with it.

The file browsers included with other major Windows DAWs feel very basic. Might as well just use the Windows Explorer.

On rating systems, the best way to use them is to rate the likelihood that you'll use the sample or preset in one of your projects. Maybe that one super layered EDM snare sample sounds cool, but it's probably going to be useless if you only make Rock music. Rate it an 1 or 2.

telecharge wrote:
barryfell wrote:

on win >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sJV1YXpybU
https://resonic.at/home
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

xbitz wrote:on win >
https://resonic.at/home
Thank you. I've already tried the beta. It's not quite there, but making good progress. I particularly appreciated the recent addition of support for REX files, as well as the dark theme in the Pro version.

I continue to use the free Player on occasion when I want to quickly audition a folder.

Romantique Tp wrote:The MediaBay in recent versions of Cubase and Nuendo is the best one by far. Very happy with it.

The file browsers included with other major Windows DAWs feel very basic. Might as well just use the Windows Explorer.
Maybe Windows Explorer was the same experience as previous browser from Cubase, but even "basic" some of the file browsers in other DAW's are quite usable and get the job done, no need for complexity, just usability, look at Bitwig, simple and effective and it's there all along.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote:
Romantique Tp wrote:The MediaBay in recent versions of Cubase and Nuendo is the best one by far. Very happy with it.

Maybe Windows Explorer was the same experience as previous browser from Cubase, but even "basic" some of the file browsers in other DAW's are quite usable and get the job done, no need for complexity, just usability, look at Bitwig, simple and effective and it's there all along.
What other DAWs other than Bitwig at least have favoriting, which other than project sync'd sample preview is the bare essential IMO.

Functionality doesn't mean complexity. In fact it should mean more usability. Live's browser for example which only has sample time sync has much less usability compared with Cubase's Mediabay for example.

Cubase has had Mediabay in more or less its current form (other than right side docking which in new in 9.5) for a long time, so i'm surprised more DAWs haven't adopted some of its excellent functionality.

Not having Mediabay, or at least a favoriting sample functionality really cripples my workflow. I'd call it essential if you are using filed resource.

On Windows Reaper by a long shot, not so much on MacOS unless you dock it vertically, then it is the best on Mac too.

External ones as posted are good if you do a lot of sample manipulation, but having bought a few and rarely ever used them after the first week, its surprising how much they pale compared to explorer or finder for simple file operations.
Duh

bungle wrote:On Windows Reaper by a long shot, not so much on MacOS unless you dock it vertically, then it is the best on Mac too.

External ones as posted are good if you do a lot of sample manipulation, but having bought a few and rarely ever used them after the first week, its surprising how much they pale compared to explorer or finder for simple file operations.
What functionality does Reaper's have?

barryfell wrote:
bungle wrote:On Windows Reaper by a long shot, not so much on MacOS unless you dock it vertically, then it is the best on Mac too.

i will like to clear that i have used cubase from starting of my career to 8(not pro)
so as being a ex-cubase user
i would say reaper over comes cubase in many ways
1.easy to setup surround sound (7.1 supported and you can even expand it more for dolby atmos)
2.cpu renders ahead function (for low cpu usage and you can setup in how much ahead it will render in milliseconds)
3.quick startup time
4.cheap as @#$% (60$ for 2 version)
5.could use midi items and audio items in same track (i use it for MXXX this vst accepts both midi and audio thus easy to setup a vocoder sounds)
6.easy to make a custom gui and can replicate ableton or cubase or any other if you want to have a home type felling + some more features
7.awesome file browser preview.cut.pitch adjustment all in one browser + tempo syn of the sample(i barely use that)
8.proper regular updates
9.no limitation on vst/i numbers or tracks
10.vienna ensemble pro

on the opposite side
reaper dosent provide any good vst instrument(not vst effects)
due to which i had a awful time when i switched from cubase
but i think its worth it for the features it provided

+bonus tip
if you are thinking in going in some music or game industry
these guys are switching from cubase/Nuendo to reaper(for obvious reason)
best example cd Projekt,ubisoft,sledgehammer , many more
so may be switching will help if you are pursuing a career in these industry
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

Apratim wrote:
barryfell wrote:

i will like to clear that i have used cubase from starting of my career to 8(not pro)
so as being a ex-cubase user
i would say reaper over comes cubase in many ways
1.easy to setup surround sound (7.1 supported and you can even expand it more for dolby atmos)
2.cpu renders ahead function (for low cpu usage and you can setup in how much ahead it will render in milliseconds)
3.quick startup time
4.cheap as @#$% (60$ for 2 version)
5.could use midi items and audio items in same track (i use it for MXXX this vst accepts both midi and audio thus easy to setup a vocoder sounds)
6.easy to make a custom gui and can replicate ableton or cubase or any other if you want to have a home type felling + some more features
7.awesome file browser preview.cut.pitch adjustment all in one browser + tempo syn of the sample(i barely use that)
8.proper regular updates
9.no limitation on vst/i numbers or tracks
10.vienna ensemble pro

on the opposite side
reaper dosent provide any good vst instrument(not vst effects)
due to which i had a awful time when i switched from cubase
but i think its worth it for the features it provided

+bonus tip
if you are thinking in going in some music or game industry
these guys are switching from cubase/Nuendo to reaper(for obvious reason)
best example cd Projekt,ubisoft,sledgehammer , many more
so may be switching will help if you are pursuing a career in these industry
I was only talking about the file browser. Can you detail all its functionality please?

Regarding Cubase vs Reaper in general, I hear very good reports about Reaper, but it's not as good for MIDI IMO and is missing things I value that Cubase has and it doesn't.

btw, your list of ways it's better than Cubase for you is functionality I have no use for or don't really care or value. I could list 10 things Cubase is better than Reaper for (as far as I know), but it all comes down to what functionality and workflow we each value so there's no right or wrong. :)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”