Steinberg Horror Story, Unavailable to use for 2 months now, beware the dongle

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey All

Just beware what is going to happen to you as a paying customer. For the record, I have given thousands of dollars to this company since Cubase VST 3.7 through SX1, Cubase 4 through Cubase Pro 9.

About 2 mos ago, I started running into "USBDeviceOS_Finish expected but received". This has rendered Cubase 9 unusable. After googling this error and following advice on these forums, I've done a bunch of troubleshooting (uninstalling/reinstalling Cubase, uninstalling/reinstalling Syncrosoft drivers, trying different ports/etc). Started going through support.

Point 1 -- You cannot contact support via email. You must contact them during business hours at their convenience.

I went through 3 support people. They all had me reinstall drivers, reinstall the software, etc. One even had me update my audio drivers, being fully confident that would resolve what seemed to me to be an unrelated issue. After a week, the third guy said he'd escalate my ticket. Then, a few days later I got the following email, essentially asking me to spend more cash. No big deal, I went ahead and ordered a new dongle. Then got an email that they are out of stock, and who knows when a new dongle will ship? Is it right to make the customer pay for hardware protection and then not have a ship date?

Spend more money email:
Hello Customer,

The error you're receiving is related to a failing USB eLicenser which is not uncommon with keys (like yours) that date back to Cubase SX 1. Is the key recognized in the eLicenser Control Center? If so, you will need to purchase a new USB eLicenser here:

https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outl ... reserved=0

You can transfer your licenses by dragging and dropping them from the old USB eLicenser to the new USB eLicenser in the eLicenser Control Center.

I believe this should resolve your request so you may receive a survey. That said, if you’re still experiencing difficulty please reply directly to this e-mail and I’d be happy to assist further.

Thank you for contacting the Steinberg US Support team.

Alexandra Auvinen
Steinberg US Support
Support Line: 844-358-4022

Dongle whenever email:

Dear customer,

Thank you for placing your order in our online shop.

Please be advised that due to strong demand, we are experiencing a backorder situation on the product(s) you ordered.

We currently have no exact date of delivery for new products. As soon as we receive the goods, we will ship your order as soon as possible.
If you would like to cancel your order, please let us know.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Should you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Kind regards
i. A. Julia Wenger

Logistics Customer Center

Not meaning to defend the eLicenser system because that really sucks, actually. I'm already on my third dongle and I started making music just 3 years ago. But the eLicenser dongle is available on Amazon for next day delivery. At least in the US.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

Thanks for the reply, I'll go there if I don't get shipping within the next day or so. Third dongle -- ughhh. The kicker is that the dongle works for the VST plugins (Steinberg and Rob Papen stuff) just not Cubase. Plus I'm finding links where the new dongle doesn't fix it. Did it fix it for you?

The dongle tends to break into pieces, especially when it is exposed to regular changes in temperature (as is common when attached to a computer). I never had the issue of a critical failure, I always replaced it when it started to break apart. But Cubase should no longer be an issue now that Steinberg keeps everything in a central database (provided that you did the registration procedure in the eLicenser control center). There is some other software I am more concerned about (Nexus, for example). If the eLicenser is gone, the licenses of such non-Steinberg software titles are gone with it.
Follow me on Youtube for videos on spatial and immersive audio production.

mgw38 wrote:The dongle tends to break into pieces, especially when it is exposed to regular changes in temperature (as is common when attached to a computer). I never had the issue of a critical failure, I always replaced it when it started to break apart. But Cubase should no longer be an issue now that Steinberg keeps everything in a central database (provided that you did the registration procedure in the eLicenser control center). There is some other software I am more concerned about (Nexus, for example). If the eLicenser is gone, the licenses of such non-Steinberg software titles are gone with it.
I also have Nexus and this is my concern to. Nexus license can only be transfered to a new dongle as long as the old one still works, which is a PITA, because most people doesn't replace a working dongle. According to reFX it's not possible to store a copy of the license anywhere else either.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Man, I feel for you .. but jesus I've been using Cubase since before the stupid Parallel port dongle. I've never once had a dongle go bad or break. I have like 5 or 6 of them. WTF do you guys do to them?
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

SJ_Digriz wrote:Man, I feel for you .. but jesus I've been using Cubase since before the stupid Parallel port dongle. I've never once had a dongle go bad or break. I have like 5 or 6 of them. WTF do you guys do to them?
Consider yourself lucky. You don't need to do anything. This is electronics and every time you turn off/turn on your computer, remove the dongle to another computer, etc, can cause it to break. ESD is a major USB device killer.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Nothing lasts forever. It would be nice if they did.
I've been using dongles of one sort or another for Cubase since the old Atari printer port dongle - I treat them like I treat the light bulbs in the house - I know they're going to fail one day, so have spares handy.
And yes, I resent having to pay for the licensing system imposed by Steinberg (and others), but it's either pay up or shut up. Like taxes.
It's a sad world. :(

ATN69 wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:Man, I feel for you .. but jesus I've been using Cubase since before the stupid Parallel port dongle. I've never once had a dongle go bad or break. I have like 5 or 6 of them. WTF do you guys do to them?
Consider yourself lucky. You don't need to do anything. This is electronics and every time you turn off/turn on your computer, remove the dongle to another computer, etc, can cause it to break. ESD is a major USB device killer.
My main one goes back and forth between a tower in the studio and a laptop almost daily. And multiple dongles have been doing that for years. Truly don't get it. They aren't that fragile. I don't even particularly take care of them. I toss them in my laptop bag like gum packs.

of course you know since I said something, my damn dongle is going take a shit tomorrow :P

Poor quality control. I had one come apart after about 3 months use. I had a laptop then, and just plugging the dongle in and out every day. I kept it in a box when not in use. Didn't help.
I've got a desktop pc now, with a usb hub in my monitor, so it just stays put. I haven't unplugged it in 4 years, even when I moved house.

SJ_Digriz wrote:of course you know since I said something, my damn dongle is going take a shit tomorrow :P
There's gonna be a run on eLicensers in the morning! :D

Googly Smythe wrote:
SJ_Digriz wrote:of course you know since I said something, my damn dongle is going take a shit tomorrow :P
There's gonna be a run on eLicensers in the morning! :D
lol, I have a basket full of them .. seriously :lol:

Hell, I might cut a deal for the OP and send him one for a few shekels + shipping if he can't find one. Of course these are the old ones we used to get with every upgrade.

SJ_Digriz wrote:
ATN69 wrote:
My main one goes back and forth between a tower in the studio and a laptop almost daily. And multiple dongles have been doing that for years. Truly don't get it. They aren't that fragile. I don't even particularly take care of them. I toss them in my laptop bag like gum packs.
Well...Congratulations! Good for you.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”