Gibson axes Cakewalk /Sonar

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Last edited by woodsdenis on Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

I saw the sign when they went with the annual license. Bitwig next.
musisikamar.com

this is pretty devastating news for me.
my newest sounds:
https://soundcloud.com/the-das-kaput

Cakewalk by BandLab, Komplete 13, Maschine 2 (MKI & Jam), Fathom Synth, Guitars, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar, EXH Superego+ etc

"The decision was made to better align with the company’s acquisition strategy" :o

Corporate gobbledygook !

They did this to Opcode Studio Vision too
Mac Studio
Cubase 13, Ableton Live 12

So much for lifetime updates - mis sold?

Had to double check this - wow, just wow

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Cakewalk-Anno ... 87511.aspx

aMUSEd wrote:So much for lifetime updates - mis sold?
Cakewalk Lifetime, not the customer. :wink:
musisikamar.com

lifetime updates becoming vaporware right before my eyes
my newest sounds:
https://soundcloud.com/the-das-kaput

Cakewalk by BandLab, Komplete 13, Maschine 2 (MKI & Jam), Fathom Synth, Guitars, Jam Origin MIDI Guitar, EXH Superego+ etc

xamido wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:So much for lifetime updates - mis sold?
Cakewalk Lifetime, not the customer. :wink:
Yeah right!

I came so close to buying this for the Mac version that never came - dodged 2 bullets it seems

That's really, really sad.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

xamido wrote:Bitwig next.
Uh, no. Cakewalk / Sonar has been going downhill for years, this was a LONG time coming. Just because Bitwig switched to a form of 'subscription' does not mean they will automatically suffer the same fate as Cakewalk / Sonar.

Sad news indeed. Those lifetime subscriptions are pretty much useless unless another investor come to the rescue.

I like Sonar but haven't updated since 8.5, not that the X series was all that bad for me just found a better work enviornment in another DAW.

Would like to think that Sonar continue it's development under new ownership into future. :(

Yep, the signs have been out there for awhile. But the two things that clinched it in my mind...

-- The elimination of upgrade discounts from previous versions (I don't recall any DAW ever doing this).

-- The sudden firing of Craig Anderton a few weeks ago.

Well, glad I hung onto my license of Studio One... :ud:

Feel bad for all the people suckered in by the "lifetime updates" cash grab. However, this has been a long time coming. A little sad right now, as Sonar 2.2 was my first real DAW.
A well-behaved signature.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”