Cubase 9.5 will not shut down properly.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have no idea what you're saying. :)

Here's what my screen looks like after closing a Cubase project:
Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 6.38.16 PM.png
Seems so simple. Now I go to Command-O to open a project.

"multiple instances" - of the application, Cubase? Or more than one <project>?

This is with two projects 'loaded', one open. I mean activated. On this thing, which is previously owned, everything opens up in tabs. This is a new one on me. At first I found it very annoying, now I'm used to it and it makes window management pretty darned simple. I click on the other tab and 'activate project'.
Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 6.45.27 PM.png

So I have no idea what goes on there with those things, or some effort to make Windows seem more like a Mac. It seems complicated now that you describe it, but I don't know any of those things. Last time I used a Windows was Vista when it was new, at the U of Az 'computer lab' and the second day they had yellow police tape around all the windows boxes because it all had to be shut down. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jancivil on Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

now open 4 or 5 other programs (browser, text editor, wavelab etc..), a 2nd project and a few editors in each project...

In windows, your ability to now tab between things is completely screwed.
If you have to ask, you can't afford the answer

No, it's actually the 'dock', it's just a matter of the dock. Inside one app, multiple documents have teh tabs.

I don't know if it's a new thing or what, the tabs; it is to me and I've had a number of similar machines just this year. But Cubase like everything else now has all its windows in tabs. It's totally different than how I worked in the past. So Cubase f**ks everything up in the Windows world because of Mac influence?
Last edited by jancivil on Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

hmm... let me say that I've just tried it for the first time since the first release candidate for 9.5 ... I was going to make a short video of how borked up it is. However, it seems like tabbing is working now without getting lost to the main toolbar. No where did I see a release note that said that they tweaked the window management problems. Maybe they did... Further investigation in progress!

wtf .. it's actually working!!
by the way, it works for you because you are on a Mac.. in windows having to have a main program bar is stupid and unnecessary. Anyhow, what was happening before is if you tabbed away then tabbed back, you'd get the damn main bar, then you'd have to tab again to POSSIBLY get the project window, possibly get an editor, possibly get a mixer or possibly get none of the above. The only option was then to go to the toolbar, click for the little hint icons for screens and left click the window you wanted. It F'n sucked

well, that's good. :)
the 'it's working' part. the other thing sounds insane.

jancivil wrote:well, that's good. :)
the 'it's working' part. the other thing sounds insane.
TRUE TRUE!!! A month ago it was totally fubared while they were trying to do the graphic optimization stuff.

It makes me wonder if I should go try and set up workspace again .. they haven't worked in ages, and someone else says they work now too. That would be like two miracles in one day.

Oh man. Last few experiences I had with that were murder. 8.5, 9.0x.

Hi Grumb, long time no chat... (Scottym Prop's forum :D )...

I didn't know you were a Sonar user as well as a Reason one...I've barely opened Reason 7 since moving to Studio One 2 then 3.0 to 3.5. 3 years ago.

I don't have Cubase but here's stab in the dark having read your post.

My understanding is that Cubase has an Ilok or else one can else use the E-Licenser for authorisation. I don't know what one you are using, but it could be other software interrupting the shutting process. The issue could be related to the one Reason uses for authorising the registration login/logout/rack extension dongle. Possibly a conflict somewhere where the software is using the same port maybe, or something else related to that ?
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

SJ_Digriz wrote:FYI: Everyone on Windows hates the f**king OSX program bar. It is a piece of shit.
This!

THE INTRANCER wrote:Hi Grumb, long time no chat... (Scottym Prop's forum :D )...

I didn't know you were a Sonar user as well as a Reason one...I've barely opened Reason 7 since moving to Studio One 2 then 3.0 to 3.5. 3 years ago.

I don't have Cubase but here's stab in the dark having read your post.

My understanding is that Cubase has an Ilok or else one can else use the E-Licenser for authorisation. I don't know what one you are using, but it could be other software interrupting the shutting process. The issue could be related to the one Reason uses for authorising the registration login/logout/rack extension dongle. Possibly a conflict somewhere where the software is using the same port maybe, or something else related to that ?
Hi
I do have it plugged into powered hub as it was one dongle too many - I can have a fiddle round the back of the pc and see what I can do.....but I'm not holding out too much hope :wink:

Grum.

The last post.....
1) Moving the dongle to a USB3 port made the eLicenser Control Centre fail when in ran its start-up maintenance routine so a restart and using a USB2 port and running as Admin was needed to sort that.
2) Using quit to close the background window rather than the "X" makes no difference - it still crashes on exit.
3) The solution (and kudos to the guy who mentioned this way back when) is to maximise the background window. A tiny thing but it makes all the difference.
Thanks to all and sundry who chipped in :D

Grum.

If Cubase 9.5 is hanging on exit:

Go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Propellerhead Software\ReWire
Rename the Rewire.dll

It's an issue with Rewire.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

Grumbleweed wrote:Thanks to the other guy for explaining it is an OSX thing with the second menu bar - certainly not something I'm used to doing (closing a program twice to close it).
You're not closing the program twice. The first time you are closing the project.
Click for music links... Eurotrash!
MSI z390, i7 9700k OC, Noctua Cooling, NVMe 970 Pro, 64GB 3200C16, BeQuiet PSU, W10, Cubase 13, Avenger, Spire, Nexus, iZotope, Virus TI (INTERGRATED).

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”