Looks like a very promising point update! :D
x Phase-4: A new phase manipulation synthesizer
x Time Signature Changes
x New and Improved Time-stretching Algorithms
x Expanded View for Devices
x Instrument & Effect Selector
x Voice Stacking
x and more...
Release is planned for the end of February.

More information: https://www.bitwig.com/en/18/bitwig-studio-2_3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z9zDzz8QZY
Last edited by krixa on Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bitwig

main features, and the release date: "Bitwig Studio 2.3, featuring Phase-4, a new phase manipulation synthesizer, time signature changes, expanded device view, and much more...Release is planned for the end of February.

The beta testing phase of Bitwig Studio 2.3 starts very soon. All Bitwig Studio 2 license holders will be able to test the new version, and we will send out a newsletter as soon as the beta is available. Stay tuned!"
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Bitwig is looking better and better.

Sound demos for the new Phase-4 synth

https://soundcloud.com/bitwig/sets/sounds-of-phase-4

Just as long as this is inside the window for the yearly license I’ll be happy

This should make a lot of people happy! :party:
Time signature changes was one of the showstoppers for many, Zplane Elastique and improved internal modes is getting this part out of the way and the other additions and improvements show once more that Bitwig Studio has a voice of it's own.

Good stuff! :clap:

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

What a perfect time for me to upgrade from v1.x

:party:
:borg:

The voice stacking with a voice stack modulator is an exciting and fresh implementation

A couple important features there. A bit shocked that they made a whole new synth and left Sampler in the state that it's in. Unless the new stretching/granular algorithms they mention made it into Sampler as well. Poor little sampler can't even cross-fade.

Now that they got time sigs and better stretching gout of the way, two major complaints, I hope they will finally focus on midi (and sampler of course).

NEW AND IMPROVED TIME-STRETCHING
New & Improved Algorithms to Cover Your Needs
We give Bitwig Studio a generous boost in the time-stretching department by improving our existing algorithms and adding a number of new ones in the granular and spectral domains, including industry-leading third-party technology.
We're excited to welcome Zplane Elastique algorithms in four flavors to the party, with full formant control. We extended the functionality and quality of our own Stretch and Stretch HD algorithms, and add two new ones: Slice — slices audio at onsets — and Cyclic — retro stretching inspired by classic cream colored samplers.
With Bitwig Studio 2.3, you'll always find the right stretch mode and settings for your audio material, whether you are looking for a natural sound or aspiring to make an artistic point. Try them out for yourself and find your favorite.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

aMUSEd wrote:Just as long as this is inside the window for the yearly license I’ll be happy
it'll be interesting, the litmus test for how Bitwig are operating their subscription program.
however, I think it will show its biggest flaw...

we might get 2.3.0, if its 'squeezed in' , but if its a big release, it could have (serious) bugs that need addressing, and by then the subs will have run out... so you get to use a buggy 2.3.0, or pay for your bug fix.
more generally, we are soon going to start seeing people having to activate a new sub, to get fixes for things like OS updates.

(this is why I prefer paid for version upgrades, so you know you'll get support on the version you pay for - at least for a reasonable duration)

anyway, it is what it is... we will see how it works out for Bitwig.

thetechnobear wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:Just as long as this is inside the window for the yearly license I’ll be happy
it'll be interesting, the litmus test for how Bitwig are operating their subscription program.
however, I think it will show its biggest flaw...

we might get 2.3.0, if its 'squeezed in' , but if its a big release, it could have (serious) bugs that need addressing, and by then the subs will have run out... so you get to use a buggy 2.3.0, or pay for your bug fix.
more generally, we are soon going to start seeing people having to activate a new sub, to get fixes for things like OS updates.

(this is why I prefer paid for version upgrades, so you know you'll get support on the version you pay for - at least for a reasonable duration)

anyway, it is what it is... we will see how it works out for Bitwig.
If given the choice, I would also prefer regular paid updates. I can live with this method, because I am not forced to update to keep using the software.

The public beta will be available soon, so there will be a month+ for fixing showstoppers before the official release... but no doubt there will be bug fix updates after some peoples 12 months runs out. On the other hand, this would be a paid update if it were going by the more common paid update model so I would be paying anyway. I'm not convinced there is much difference between them in practice. I believe it will take 2-3 years to see how it works out.

pdxindy wrote: If given the choice, I would also prefer regular paid updates. I can live with this method, because I am not forced to update to keep using the software.

The public beta will be available soon, so there will be a month+ for fixing showstoppers before the official release... but no doubt there will be bug fix updates after some peoples 12 months runs out. On the other hand, this would be a paid update if it were going by the more common paid update model so I would be paying anyway. I'm not convinced there is much difference between them in practice. I believe it will take 2-3 years to see how it works out.

yeah pretty much the same here...

for my primary DAW, Live 10, its a pre-order upgrade :)

for other DAWS, BWS, Cubase and Reason.. I make a call based on new features etc, and only when they are compelling do I upgrade. this makes it interesting.
BWS (and Reasons) model, actually are then good for me, since there is no penalty for skipping versions.
Cubase is arguably the fairest (for developers), where you pay (a bit) more if you skip intermediate revisions.

funny thing is Ive let Reason lapse because i know i can always upgrade cheaply, perhaps BWS will be the same... 2.3 is not super exciting to me, so I can just leave it, and perhaps I'll even just forget about it for a while , until they announce improved touch screen or MPE support, which i do care about.

I'm probably a bit old style in this, but I personally want Bitwig to succeed and keep on innovating and bring interesting new things to the audio world. That is part of what I pay for with my update fees, not only feature X or Y, but the whole ride, the vibe, the inspiration it provides.
No other DAW does that for me ATM.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

thetechnobear wrote:
pdxindy wrote: If given the choice, I would also prefer regular paid updates. I can live with this method, because I am not forced to update to keep using the software.

yeah pretty much the same here...

for my primary DAW, Live 10, its a pre-order upgrade :)

for other DAWS, BWS, Cubase and Reason.. I make a call based on new features etc, and only when they are compelling do I upgrade. this makes it interesting.
Yeah, same for me... except Bitwig is primary. In the case of Live, I wont be upgrading to 10 because of no MPE support. Plus I just like Bitwig better. Live served me well for a long time so I have a soft spot for it and have no complaints. Ableton's vision at this point, just isn't mine. On the other hand, where Bitwig is going fits me well.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”