Bitwig 2.3 announcement

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

:o :pray: :clap: :tu:

Can´t wait to start playing with the beta :hyper:

Freakin awesome. :clap: 8)
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Time signs! And they finally gave up writing their own stretching algorithms. Good on them. Time better spent on other things. Hope this sneaks in under everyone's yearly fee.

jonljacobi wrote:Hope this sneaks in under everyone's yearly fee.
It does, but the bugfix releases (2.3.1, 2.3.2, ...) will not. And that could be a big issue...

Reefius wrote:
It does, but the bugfix releases (2.3.1, 2.3.2, ...) will not. And that could be a big issue...
It really isn't- bug fixes were issued even to V1 and not considered feature updates that need subscription.

We had all the updates of V2 (massive), V2.1, V2.2 and the equally massive 2.3 for 160 bucks....Totally awesome value, the most inavation and fastest developing DAW IMHO - absolutely niothing at all to complain about, my best music related purcase in the last 3 years.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

V2.3 will be released on february 28, which is exactly one year after the release of V2.0. This means that from then on everyone who purchased V2 on release day will no longer receive updates unless they pay for another year. That's NO updates at all, not even bugfixes.

That's how I interpreted it last year. I just created a thread about it in the Bitwig forum, hopefully there will be an official answer soon.

Back then, at 2.0 announcement, they stated to provide bugfixes updates if they were show stoppers to out of "update period" users.

But I think that will create a mess in a short time.

User one with 2.3.0 needs some version for bugfixes...

And user two with 2.3.1 needs another version with another set of bugfixes....
And so on.

That can be a nightmare to track and maintain, it would be like creating subversions for small groups of users.
dedication to flying

Would be simple if all versions of 2.3.x were only bug fixes.
So if you have version 2.3 you are then able to download any 2.3.x versions containing bug fixes.

It would also be necessary to make it that versions 2.x are when new features are introduced.

I feel this would help customers feel safer about their investment.

The subscription / maintenance system and the big increase in the cost of the program was a big turn off when I heard about it last year, so any prior thought of adding it to what I have, really just flew out the window. Similarly a 12 month window time frame of drip feed updates which may contain bugs that I might not get fixed in that 12 month window and require an expensive upgrade fee just for those, is really mean, when I compare it with other some other daws. For comparison, Presonus released Studio One 3 in May of 2015, all maintenance bug fixes and significant feature updates have been free over the past 2 and half years and more. And when it was revealed what 3.5 included, that was really quite a wow revelation in terms of features.

As clever as the Bitwig Studio software is, there is a direct conflict in the policy, an issue I don't have any issue with, with Studio One.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Gee, sounds promising, I must say. If things won't get too buggy, I'll probably upgrade. I saved a €600 budget for a new DAW, but last week I saw this awesome chess set, which only costs €550 and I can get a 25% discount, which leaves me enough money for the upgrade :)

Must be a hell of a chess set.

SLiC wrote:
Reefius wrote:
It really isn't- bug fixes were issued even to V1 and not considered feature updates that need subscription.

We had all the updates of V2 (massive), V2.1, V2.2 and the equally massive 2.3 for 160 bucks....Totally awesome value, the most inavation and fastest developing DAW IMHO - absolutely niothing at all to complain about, my best music related purcase in the last 3 years.
I think it is unclear exactly how this will be handled... so it is reasonable for someone to be concerned. Also, V2 plus 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 will not happen again. That was like a one time 2 years for 1.

That said, many people seem to focus mainly on money and the huge majority of conversation ends up being about money, not music software. I wish it were otherwise, but hey, it is what it is.

Looking forward to next year, and using this year as a guide, one can expect 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 amount of development for the 'retail' price of $169. That is a solid deal for a unique and innovative software and if someone does not think that is enough, they can always wait and extra 3-6 months and get more for the same amount of money. It is mostly in the users hands.

In my case, I took advantage of the Holiday sale and purchased the next year for $129. I think $129 for the equivalent of 2.1 plus 2.2 plus 2.3 is great... for me a no-brainer. Now that we know much of what is in 2.3, I'm pleased to have jumped on that.

This is an excellent development for playing live...

INSTRUMENT & EFFECT SELECTOR
These devices are excellent for live use, particularly for swapping between patches and sounds — and not overloading your system in the act.

you will freely switch between layers without hard breaks or clicks, and your sustained notes and reverb tails will fade away naturally. Furthermore, the Remote Controls follow your selection in a dynamic and predictable way.

@jsp1979

I'm pretty much excited about it! Otherwise I would not post off topic :oops:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

So are they going to maintain several software package like 1.5.3, 1.6.2, 2.1.2, 2.3.1, 2.5.1, etc. to cater bug fix for previous subscribers and existing subscribers? It shouldn't be easy task, right?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”