Cakewalk is dead. Long live Cakewalk!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
REAPER SONAR SONAR Platinum

satYatunes wrote:This statement from the announcement is notable:
our steadfast goal is that former SONAR owners (of all versions) will not need to spend any money to cross-over/cross-grade to the future flagship product.
This sounds like Bandlab plans on making an entirely new DAW. It may have a lot of Sonar's code, and it may be made by Cakewalk employees, but it definitely sounds like it will be something new, and they will offer it to Sonar users for free to get you on board. I can't help but assume that once you have the initial version, it's back to business as usual, which means any major updates will cost you money. If that is the case, then I can't blame the new company. You don't really expect them to buy a company only to update it's software and not make any money in the process?
I’m an existing or old SONAR user and have questions about my old account or subscription or want a refund.

BandLab Technologies did not acquire the operating company of Cakewalk Inc., only the complete set of intellectual property, patents, trademarks and certain assets necessary or related to the entire Cakewalk product suite.

For users of Cakewalk from before 21st February 2018 – please refer to the original Gibson/Cakewalk announcement FAQ
This was taken from the FAQ section of the website. It clearly states that they bought the "code", and not the" company" Cakewalk Inc. So, in other words, your "Lifetime Subscription" was with Cakewalk Inc. and not with BandLab, and if you want a refund or a continuation of your Lifetime Subscription, go see the original Gibson/Cakewalk announcement.

I'm glad that they hired former Cakewalk employees, and I wish them well, but I'm going to steer clear of this for a few years. My only hope is that z3ta! 2 and Rapture Pro are supported and updated. I refuse to put my faith in a DAW that comes out of this acquisition. In a way, it's like starting all over again. Personally, I prefer to stick with Cubase, Studio One, and Ableton for my needs until whatever new DAW from BandLab emerges and proves to be a legitimate and viable alternative.

Looks to me that it will incorporated into a new app, both desktop and phone. There was talk initially of seeking out too BandLab but it was quashed do to the Momentum app being a potential competitor product. Now that it is no longer an issue they will go ahead and go for it.

I thought now would be a good time to bring up Project 5 as a seperate entity apart from Sonar which in my opinion would fit the bill for both platforms, Desktop and Phone app but when I started a topic it was immediately moved the Archive with the explaination that the code would have to have complete rewrite. That's hogwash in my opiniion because it's already there in the Core of Sonar, the Groove matrix, Apeggiator and Instuments. Don't blame them for killing my thread but to outright dismiss discussion does not bode well.

Hopefully this new company will look into all posibilities and perhaps allow discusion in their new direction. The first thing they should do that might help where the forum is concerned would be a new TOS and a change of a few of some of the Moderators still defending the legacy product.

Can't wait to see the outcome.

I would interpret it as the next major update of Sonar will be no cost to existing licensed users. Then probably into a pay for for future upgrades. I'm perfectly happy with Sonar Pro for my work scheme. I would be happy to pay for a few minor GUI updates if nothing else. Maybe elaborating on the notation side of things a bit would be good. Development of a few new synths.

kb420 wrote: I'm glad that they hired former Cakewalk employees, and I wish them well, but I'm going to steer clear of this for a few years. My only hope is that z3ta! 2 and Rapture Pro are supported and updated. I refuse to put my faith in a DAW that comes out of this acquisition. In a way, it's like starting all over again.
That might be a very good thing. I've got no ball in this game being a mac user, but dinosaur DAWs suffer from decisions made at the core level that affect features ten years down the line. Live only allows 128 parameters of automation, no SysEx. Logic is non port specific when it comes to virtual instruments, 16 MIDI channels with no port... DP has no MIDI note limits in MIDI tracks, you can't restrain the MIDI to a specific C2-B4 for instance, and no absolute snap to grid for MIDI notes, only relative. Whatever becomes of Sonar could be free of these things from the start. MPE out the door, smart VST cpu management etc.

I was afraid to be unable to use my Cakewalk over the long run. I feel a lot less anxious now. We'll see how they handle the transition.

I've never used Sonar but great news!
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote:I've never used Sonar but great news!
It seems people from Norway are good sports in more than one way. :wink:

it's clear from the subtext that they will resurrect and aggressively develop Project 5

SeePlusPlus wrote:it's clear from the subtext that they will resurrect and aggressively develop Project 5
There is some talk amongst the forum user's about that but nothing from BandLab points to that. As I mentioned earlier in this thread I couldn't post a topic without it being moved to a virtual bin. I hope your speculation becomes a reality though.

One thing that has been stated by the new owner is it will be a Desktop app, in this thread:
http://forum.cakewalk.com/m/tm.aspx?m=3732488
Will it be cloud based or offline may yet to be seen. They did pick up some of the cheif Dev's so it should follow that it will be a continuation of Sonar or some facsimile with a port to their own App but who knows, that's pure speculatiom on my part and a few others.

Intriguing to say the least.

I'll make a prediction that the new Sonar GUI is going to be completely flat, white and lifeless, and have the product name 'Icing Cake Project 1'. :D

I'm not so sure if Sonar users will be wanting a bite of that, if that happens...but will there be any cherry's..who knows ?
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

THE INTRANCER wrote:I'll make a prediction that the new Sonar GUI is going to be completely flat, white and lifeless, and have the product name 'Icing Cake Project 1'. :D

I'm not so sure if Sonar users will be wanting a bite of that, if that happens...but will there be any cherry's..who knows ?
Maybe you can "fix" the GUI/UX then, ScottyM! :D
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight wrote:
THE INTRANCER wrote:I'll make a prediction that the new Sonar GUI is going to be completely flat, white and lifeless, and have the product name 'Icing Cake Project 1'. :D

Maybe you can "fix" the GUI/UX then, ScottyM! :D
More chance of Hell Freezing Over :D, it takes too much time.

I've never been a Sonar user mainly because my experience of it was that it was very crash prone way back in 2006 / 2007 on my particular PC system. I don't envisage using Sonar in the future, so thus have no interest in even attempting to do so, even if it turns out the way I predict. I use Studio One exclusively now, and don't see myself switching or adopting another daw for a very long time.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Lets see how long until Gibson "restructures". It could be as early as this summer...

Stupid American Pig wrote:Lets see how long until Gibson "restructures". It could be as early as this summer...
Then they could buy Presonus, run them into the ground for a few years before deciding to kill it after their misguided decision to buy Pottery Barn and make kiln fired clay guitars that also function as furniture brings the company down. Gibson CEO Henry Juszkiewicz blames guitar purists and retail shops for not not getting behind his vision.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/gibson- ... d-exciting

Steve Bolivar wrote:
Stupid American Pig wrote:Lets see how long until Gibson "restructures". It could be as early as this summer...
Then they could buy Presonus, run them into the ground for a few years before deciding to kill it after their misguided decision to buy Pottery Barn and make kiln fired clay guitars that also function as furniture brings the company down. Gibson CEO Henry Juszkiewicz blames guitar purists and retail shops for not not getting behind his vision.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/gibson- ... d-exciting
Kevin Couhig and his Venture Capital company and it's investors won't be selling Presonus. Look at their portfolio. They don't need any help. They also got a $30 plus million dollar investment from it's partner. No take the Gibson bs elsewhere.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”