Orb Composer - Generative music app

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Orb Composer Artist S Orb Composer Pro S

I stumbled upon some interesting product, coming in april 2018. It is a generative composer tool that gives user decent control over musical material. It is also said to be able to work on given MIDI melodies, though didn't see demonstration of this feature yet. Orb Composer only outputs MIDI and generates no sounds on its own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfWnZ55lk-0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HiFF3yFBKo

Homepage

For someone like me, who's not trained musican, this seems to be very interesting. Looking forward to demo and more hands-on use cases.
Last edited by DJ Warmonger on Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Thanks DJ. I am always curious about the ways programmers think systematically about composing. This one has a clear decision-making structure, with unique features and a target market:
"Turning an idea into a composition will not take weeks of work anymore, only the most pleasant part of composition will remain."
They certainly put a lot of work into this!
BTW, you can preorder: Artist (349€) and Pro (649€) https://www.orb-composer.com
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

I agree, it seems a lot of thought went into this one.

(It's just amazing though that in the overview walkthrough video, a tad under 9 minutes in length, you have to wait until the last 20 seconds or so, to hear any bit of what the orchestration actually sounds like :D hahah.)

In the second one, they try lots of different phrases. I watched that one first to see the workflow.
d o n 't
w a n t
m o r e

Interesting but

Hideously expensive

Developer can't spell 'routing' :)

aMUSEd wrote:Interesting but

Hideously expensive

Developer can't spell 'routing' :)
yikes !!!

Orb Composer somewhat reminds me of "Band in a Box"
I think one does not have detailed control over what music it will spit out. You can set up an orchestration/instrumentation, tempo and chord progression and sketch the flow of excitement and relaxation... that's it.
Compared to other similar solutions like Synfire, Orb Composer isn't that expensive.

HiEnergy wrote:Orb Composer somewhat reminds me of "Band in a Box"

Compared to other similar solutions like Synfire, Orb Composer isn't that expensive.

It does look like a nice program, but it's reminds me more of "Major Sketch Pad" or "Chord Sketcher" by Sonic Cat. BIAB gives you way more control over the midi and audio than this does.

The price is way too high, because BIAB gives you recordings of real artist, and this thing only generates midi notes, yet I can get similar programs for far less money.

I could be wrong and the program turns out to be very worth the price, but that's about the only thing I'm not liking about it.

Mind you this is coming from a person who thought Rapid Composer cost too much.

Well, the price is very high for sure. I'd grab it on 50% discount, though :wink:

As yet, looking forward to demo :help:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

There is 30 percent off over at Gearslutz, look in the Products Coming Soon forum for the code. I bought the Artist one. "Why not?" I said "as far as I know I'll only live once". Can't wait to try it.
Ilk

Yes, I've pre-ordered Orb Composer and done a video on my first impression with it!
There's no narration and no explanation - just me trying to coax some chamber music for three instruments out of it - which I finally succeed in. :)

My latest video is about connecting Orb Composer to Ableton Live and having it compose a short piece of piano music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbZy60z ... cA&index=1

This video contains spoken explanation as well as English and German subtitles.
Please excuse the rather bad quality of my voice.

Have fun watching!

Danm it. I was expecting an app by The Orb that creates endless variations of Little Fluffy Clouds :lol:

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

I've done another screencast on Orb Composer.
This time Orb Composer composes a piano music tune with little user interaction. I've not interfered with most of its musical choices.

The resulting MIDI gets imported into Reaper and played back with keyboard and pianoroll visible so you can see what Orb Composer's compositions might look and sound like.

HiEnergy wrote:My latest video is about connecting Orb Composer to Ableton Live and having it compose a short piece of piano music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbZy60z ... cA&index=1

This video contains spoken explanation as well as English and German subtitles.
Please excuse the rather bad quality of my voice.

Have fun watching!
Great video thanks.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”