Was FT2 YOUR first DAW????

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

If so than check this out... https://16-bits.org/ft2.php
It puts Milky to shame... as it HAS THE ABILITY TO SAMPLE!!!!!!
I haven't tested every nook and cranny yet, but it looks like there is finally a TRUE Fasttracker II clone, and what's more is it looks like a viable starting point for FT3... unlike others that took it too far too quick and went nowhere.
Now sound quality doesn't really need to be a real issue for oldschool trackers. I knew about this program a while back but it didn't have sampling, the biggest problem with Milky. For the first time I saw a real reason to set up JACK. I did all the pain of setting it up only to find that... well... it needed ASIO to do what I wanted. Bummer, since this prog doesn't use ASIO. Then I tried this: [url]https://www.vb-audio.com/Cable/[url] and success!!! I sampled the output of Sektor to FT2 and made loop points... Good to go! Pure digital quality in something that most people used sound blaster or GUS cards to sample into. Sampling on the fly!

What's more is you can actually record from your audio interface, so if you want the full oldchool experience, it did recognize my focusrite, admittedly I haven't tried it yet but I will very soon, it's time for me to bust out my Yamaha RY10 (love the sounds in there) and give it a whirl... makes me want to re-buy an old Roland groovebox... yeah you know which one... may as well install ReBirth too!

I joke I kid... but seriously... I'm going to have some fun with this now that it can sample.
In the future there will be robots!

Yes it was. But I had almost no idea about how to use it. I will check now!

Great find :) My first DAW was Scream Tracker 3 but I also used Fasttracker II :)

1. Scream Tracker.-> 2. Impulse Tracker.-> 3. Fasttracker II,-> 4. Modtracker,-> 5. Cubase.
:phones:

Oh nice! It wasn't my first (that was Noisetracker), but it was my first when I got a PC.

I use their Protracker port to play back old mod files.
Image Image Image Image

Technically my first DAW was Octamed 3, but the first tracker that I actually understood how to make a track (as opposed to me just using it to load .mod & .med files into), and start my journey proper into music making was indeed FT2 that I got free on a PC Format CD. Love that it's still being shown love !

It was for me on a 486 DOS PC :). I also made around 30 tracks and remixes with it and still have the xm files. I remember the awesome Unreal Tournament soundtrack modules were a goldmine for samples, ideas and learning. I'm not sure anymore, but I think I managed to open the UT modules in FT2 by cutting some bytes from the beginning of the modules using some hex editor.
I also discovered this FT2 clone this week and it is amazing for nostalgia. :D

anoise wrote:I think I managed to open the UT modules in FT2 by cutting some bytes from the beginning of the modules using some hex editor.
Was even easier than that, you just renamed the file extensions to .s3m! I did exactly the same thing back in the day (did this circa '99) :

http://ilovecubus.co.uk/pete/woundup.mp3

What's wrong with Renoise, Buzz and OpenMPT?

Nothing ... just they hadn't been released at that point !

Modedit (first PC tracker I came across in the early nineties) -> Fasttracker 2 -> Buzz -> REAPER/Orion :-)

mcbpete wrote:Nothing ... just they hadn't been released at that point !
He is obviously speaking about the present. Why use FT II when there are Renoise, Buzz or OpenMPT?
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

mcbpete wrote:[Was even easier than that, you just renamed the file extensions to .s3m!
Interesting... I tried that now. Renamed UMX to S3M and FT2 Clone can't open it. Also, S3M is Scream Tracker 3 and UT Modules are Impulse Tracker... and no, renaming to *.it won't work either...

Weird thought they were all s3m files but according to this place they were a mixture of .mod, .s3m and .it - Could be that whatever player I used (might've been ModPlug Tracker, or the tracker extension for winamp) just ignored the file extension and got the info from the header

Discovered Modplug Tracker back in ninth grade or so, started me on this whole path. I initially got it because the internet said it was the easiest freeware app for playing these “.mod” files that had a bunch of my favorite PC game soundtracks. Out of curiosity I started changing the numbers and creating remixes :)

Say what you will about trackers but they’re really egalitarian in practice :D open up the song, everything is there, ready to play with.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”