Cubase Artist VST live audio recording?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,

I have Cubase Artist 9.5 and want to record the live output from a VST lead that I am playing along with some sequenced bass from a Moog V track. I want to do a number of takes/runs and pick the one that I think sounds best but I just can not work out how to set up the tracks Ins and Outs at all. I have tried setting up an Audio track but can not get the audio out from my VST lead synth in to it. Have tried setting up group tracks with no luck either. Tried creating a new buss etc but nothing! I know I can do render in place but that means recording the Midi ins every time and rendering each take which seems a bit long winded to me. Am I being stupid as it was so easy to do in my Live 7.

Many thanks,
Glyn.

One way that works is - route VST output to a group channel, then on an audio track that is to record set input from that group channel. So arm that recording audio track and go.

I first looked for setting group channel out to another track, but that does not work.

That was a workaround at least at the time - maybe there are better ways. But I did on recorded audio, not VST out, to apply effects in a certain way.

Otherwise same principles as loop recording and selecting a recording mode that fits the purpose, how to keep history etc.

lfm wrote:One way that works is - route VST output to a group channel, then on an audio track that is to record set input from that group channel. So arm that recording audio track and go.

I first looked for setting group channel out to another track, but that does not work.

That was a workaround at least at the time - maybe there are better ways. But I did on recorded audio, not VST out, to apply effects in a certain way.

Otherwise same principles as loop recording and selecting a recording mode that fits the purpose, how to keep history etc.
Hi mate,

I have just tried this but the group channel I create does not show up as an input source. Is this a limitation of the `Artist` version at all?

Cheers,
Glyn.

It's possible that is the case.
If you look at menu Studio -> Audio Connections there is a Group/Fx tab - is this missing for you?
When creating a Group or FX channel track - things are added there for me - that shows up as input busses to select from on a track?

Just curious - is there a particular reason you don't just record midi for the VST you play live together with the rest - and render that later to audio - render in place or freeze etc?

There are even more recording modes and settings for midi when doing loop recording etc. Like whether previous take is muted(like for live audio recording) or not.

Midi is also cool in the sense that you can have multiple overlapping clips playing on the same track etc, apart from extensive editing abilities. This is not possible with audio.

And from midi you can create chord tracks with a lot of interesting features.

And you get free notation of what you did from midi as well.

Just rambling some ideas here....

lfm wrote:It's possible that is the case.
If you look at menu Studio -> Audio Connections there is a Group/Fx tab - is this missing for you?
When creating a Group or FX channel track - things are added there for me - that shows up as input busses to select from on a track?

Just curious - is there a particular reason you don't just record midi for the VST you play live together with the rest - and render that later to audio - render in place or freeze etc?

There are even more recording modes and settings for midi when doing loop recording etc. Like whether previous take is muted(like for live audio recording) or not.

Midi is also cool in the sense that you can have multiple overlapping clips playing on the same track etc, apart from extensive editing abilities. This is not possible with audio.

And from midi you can create chord tracks with a lot of interesting features.

And you get free notation of what you did from midi as well.

Just rambling some ideas here....
Hi lfm

thanks for your reply, just checked and all I have are Input and Output tabs so I am presuming it is only the Pro version that has the Group/FX tab which seems strange to me!

The reason I don`t record midi is just the fact I am old school and just play it in live and record on audio tracks like I have done in the hardware world and when I had Ableton Live. Looks like I will have to do it as you say in your reply.

Cheers,
Glyn.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”