General questions on Reaper

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Playing around in the Reaper demo I might have a few questions on it.

For instance, I noticed that I have to manually arm and disarm tracks. So when I play on my Midi keyboard, I play all armed tracks, in other words I have to disarm all but one.

Can I configure it so that the track selected is automatically armed and the others just play back? It is like that in Mulab and I find it comfortable...

Also, is it possible to operate the mixer sliders with the mouse wheel?

Yes there is an auto arm option for your tracks, that "o" on the record button of the tracks becomes "A". Check Kenny Gioia's videos, or ask the nice people on the reaper forum.
There is nothing you can't personalize to your process in reaper. The only thing is to keep track and document your setups if you take large breaks from music making...

That's my problem with Reaper, it seems so confusing, there are options and menus everywhere, hard to find what one is looking for :?
Last edited by fluffy_little_something on Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Welcome to the club. ;)

fluffy_little_something wrote:That's my problem with Reaper, it seems so confusing, there are options and menus everywhere, hard to find what one is looking for :?
oh seems like you are in the first phase

by the way you can control(ctrl for windows ... dont know about mac) select multiple track and arming or disarming any one track will do the same to other tracks

or just press down left click and slide up or down to arm /disarm multiple in one mouse sweep
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

First phase, well, I have not bought it yet. But it has some good things going for it, very efficient and solid it seems.

When I select a note in the midi editor, and press Ctrl + arrow up or down, it skips black keys, only white keys seem possible. Am I missing something?!

fluffy_little_something wrote:When I select a note in the midi editor, and press Ctrl + arrow up or down, it skips black keys, only white keys seem possible. Am I missing something?!
That is part of the education: Reaper sticks stringently
to C-Major - so you can only play white keys!
This kind of education strengthens the sense of a musician ...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

No - seriously: At the bottom there is a flag "snap to keys only"
or something like that. Take away that flag. :tu:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

This may be of use to peeps having a hard time with the default menu:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=58672

this seems like one of the long term issues with reaper, it can seem so overwheling but that's because there is so much going on....
the time invested in a learning curve is so worth it though.
just customise as you go and back up and save configurations.
you will get it exactly as you want it ( imo) .

First thing to do with Reaper, go to the menu editor and delete everything from every menu (make sure keep original menu in sub is ticked, now the menus are all empty but for one sub menu that hasall the original options)

Now when you start using it and intuitively right click for a menu expecting xyz to be there, add it to that menu yourself, within a few days all the menus are so tuned in to how you work, its ridiculously quick.

I create my own themes too for even faster pacing, but that involves a ton more work ;)
Duh

top tip...
as long as you remember to check 'include default menu'... otherwise you'll be all over the shop : )

They say that a journey begins with the first step....

Stick with it because Reaper is a winner....

Like someone else said,check out Kenny Gioia's videos...

Choose a theme that is efficient and straight foward...

I prefer the Default Commla 5 theme...

Then just relax and enjoy the ride...

Once you get the workflow sorted out,it's a great DAW to work with :wink:
No auto tune...

I finally bought Reaper, will download the latest version tomorrow. I want to do a clean new install. Which folders do I have to remove? I mean, where are configurations, settings etc. stored? It should be the same folder or folders that I have to backup in the future, I suppose.

Go in to actions, search for resource folder, run that action and it will open the resource folder in explorer or finder depending on what OS you are running.

If you are on windows, here is a really good tip for you.

Start the installer and when asked, tick "create portable install" install to c://Reaper
This will create a portable install and put all file in the one folder direct on the C drive, however, with a portable install you lose reamote and rex and a bunch of other stuff, so, when the installer has finished, run the installer again straight away, this time do not tick "create portable install" the installer will find the previous install on c://Reaper and put a full install in there.
So now you have a portable install with all available features, when i upgrade my hardware i just copy this entire folder to the new computer, then run the installer, bam, fully set up and configured in seconds ;)

This is one of the older and most useful power user tips for Reaper, unfortunately not supported on MacOS.
Duh

fluffy_little_something wrote:I finally bought Reaper, will download the latest version tomorrow. I want to do a clean new install.
It will take you hours to download that installer :lol:

Then,another few hours to install it :(

Seriously...Once you get your head around Reaper,there's no turning back...

I can't believe that they can fit so much goodness in 11MB of coding :wink:
No auto tune...

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”