question regarding bitwig 2.4 (beta)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi All,

I'm tempted to bounce over to Bitwig from Live. I hope someone here can help me with this question.

How does Bitwig 2.4 handle midi VST's that output on multiple channels internally?

For instance... I can configure Nora to output it's midi to multiple channels for different instruments
ie.. bass, lead, chords, etc..., but in Ableton Live it is all broadcast on one channel. Does bitwig accept the data on multiple channels?

I can't see anything that definitely says it will do this in the newest 2.4 beta.

Hope this makes sense. Thanks

-dw

Yes, it works, I just tried it with the Nora demo in BWS 2.4 Beta 2.

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Thanks. so was it pretty seamless easy to set up in bitwig?

The data comes out as you set it in Nora, that's what I tested for you since I was curious too.
Everything else is up to you, you can route the different channels to different tracks or just put an instrument layer device on the same track, put your different instruments on different layers and then set the midi channels of the layers accordingly.
Easy as pie IMO.
And since there is layered editing for the channels, it's rather simple to edit too.
Do you have Bitwig already?

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

no, I've been with Live since V 1, but I've been really wanting this multi channel VST functionality. Now that bitwig has this, and MPE I think I'm going to switch.

thanks for testing for me. So you were also able to route the data from Nora onto different tracks and or layers?

Bitwig is sounding better and better!

dusted william wrote:no, I've been with Live since V 1, but I've been really wanting this multi channel VST functionality. Now that bitwig has this, and MPE I think I'm going to switch.

thanks for testing for me. So you were also able to route the data from Nora onto different tracks and or layers?

Bitwig is sounding better and better!
Well, I was with Live from 4 to 8, but found 9 not to my liking at all, so the BWS release came just in time :-)
For what I do, Live is no longer relevant and I'm happy I sold it back then, especially when I saw L10. :clown:

Yes, you have many options there:
- Each track now hat channel options, as has the instrument layer device.
- There is a new note effect layer device that allows you to layer midi/note effects.
- You also have a channel filter device, so if you let in all channels into a track, you can still decide you only want for instance channels 3, 6 and 10 to go through.
- Layered editing allows you to work on all notes on a track at the same time, or only on a selection (by channel), you can see all notes or only the selected channel ones, very flexible.
- BWS has note receiver devices for a while that allow you to route the midi from any point in a device chain to any other point in the project.
- Other than Live, you are not limited in how you use Midi plugins/devices. They can sit at any point in the chain in any order you like and as many as you want, be it factory devices or VSTs. One of the really big things for me personally, since you can do A LOT on a single track instead of that routing mess in Live with many tracks if you happen to like Midi plugins like I do.

Well, tons to explore there. If you buy BWS 2, you get instant access to the beta. If you want to try it out first, wait for the final release of 2.4 and get the Demo.

Cheers,

Tom

Thanks! yeah, I'm buying it today :)

Thanks Thomas,

I have BWS 2.4 right now. I can't figure out how to get the midi out of Cthulhu into multiple tracks.

The manual doesn't explain this either! at least I can't find it.

Any help out there?

Thanks,

dw

looks like I got it figured out using the 'note receiver' and 'channel filter' tools.

I know this was mentioned above, but I thought it would be possible another way.. maybe, but this works for me atm.

dusted william wrote:looks like I got it figured out using the 'note receiver' and 'channel filter' tools.

I know this was mentioned above, but I thought it would be possible another way.. maybe, but this works for me atm.
You can also set one channel's input to listen to MIDI of other channel. Like this:
https://youtu.be/qUrhh2ZyvfM
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”