Glitch with LiveSlice

Official support for: livelab.dk
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

OK - this isn't going to be a post where I tell everyone how wonderful LiveSlice is at "glitch" - it's more a question.

I found this extract from Wikipedia on the term:
Glitch is often produced on computers using modern digital production software to splice together small "cuts" (samples) of music from previously recorded works. These cuts are then integrated with the signature of Glitch music: beats comprised of glitches, clicks, scratches, and otherwise "erroneously" produced or sounding noise. These glitches are often very short, and are typically used in place of traditional percussion or instrumentation. Skipping CDs, scratched vinyl records, circuit bending, and other noise-like distortions figure prominently into the creation of rhythm and feeling in Glitch; it is from the use of these digital artifacts that the genre derives its name. However, not all artists of the genre are working with erroneously produced sounds or are even using digital sounds.
So does anyone care to take a punt on expounding on how to create glitch with LiveSlice - what techniques to use etc?

I'm not really into this style of music as a whole, but the technique could still be useful to me to add interest to other forms of music.

Regards
Caleb
Happiness is the hidden behind the obvious.

I thought it was going to be a bug report.

Easiest way to get glitch-like sounds: clear a track, turn lock to loop off, load a short loop, manually turn the slices up to 50 or more. You'll get a bunch of very chopped up sounds. Sequence a few into a beat, play around a little with pitch and timestretch on a few of the slices. Even better is to simply load a single drum sounnd and slice it up 50 times.

Here's a simple example I just whipped up. It's a kick drum and a cymbal sliced up.

liveslice glitch-like

Another trick would be locking to loop and then slowing your host BPM down slightly. You'll get gaps in between each slice, will give you that scratched CD effect.

Thanks shamann.

I just found this article online for REMIX called "Editing techniques for creating stutter and glitch edits".

It seems like LiveSlice is an ideal plug-in to use for these types of things.

I would like to give it a go learning these types of techniques using LiveSlice so that I can make better use of it - instead of just beat rearranging, which is about as imaginative as I've got so far.

Regards
Caleb
Happiness is the hidden behind the obvious.

Return to “Livelab.dk”