Electronic Musician's Download of the Month

Official support for: livelab.dk
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Congratulations for LiveSlice being Electronic Musician's Download of the Month for March.

LarryAW wrote:Congratulations for LiveSlice being Electronic Musician's Download of the Month for March.
Is there an article?I can't seem to find it on the site,could only find web clips but no links :?

Not yet, I think they post the magazine's contents for the previous month only once the new issue comes out. Here's the link to last month's:

http://emusician.com/software/download_month_61/

When it's available, the March one should be:

http://emusician.com/software/download_month_62/

musikmachine wrote:
LarryAW wrote:Congratulations for LiveSlice being Electronic Musician's Download of the Month for March.
Is there an article?I can't seem to find it on the site,could only find web clips but no links :?
Electronic Musician online posts articles that aren't in the current issue. So, it won't be there, yet. It's in the new issue I just received. In the magazine, it's in one of the first sections called "Front Panel." Apparently, what you found is the Online Bonus Material.

I just received a new Dell XPS 720 (QX6700) yesterday and I have a million things to install and get straightened out. I have stuff everywhere. If you'll give me a couple of days, I'll type out what the article says in this thread. It's just about a half-page article. I don't mind typing it at all, just give me some time. The article is by Len Sasso. I have migraines and I forget things easily. If I haven't written what the article says in this thread by 4:00pm PST tomorrow, please send me a PM and remind me. I'm probably a very good person to tell a secret to, because it wouldn't take me very long to forget what the secret was. ;)

Larry

This is the content of the article in Electronic Musician. I may have made a typo or two. I don't think there are many mistakes, but there could be. He did write mangling in one sentence and mungling in the other. I don't think Len Sasso or EM would mind me typing this out, since it's in the Developer's own forum.

The Article:

Download of the Month

LiveLab LiveSlice (Win) by Len Sasso

LiveSlice ($64) from Danish software developer Jacob Carstens is a beat slicer and audio file mangler for Windows that's both powerful and easy to use. You choose an audio file or pipe audio into its slicer in real time, specify how you want the audio sliced, then click on a button to transfer the slices to a track in its built-in Arranger for processing and playback. The slicer holds up to 64 loops, and each of LiveSlice's 64 arrangements holds as many as 32 tracks. You play MIDI notes to trigger whole arrangements or individual slices.

LiveSlice offers both fixed-length and threshold slicing. Fixed-length slicing, in which all slices have the same length (say, beats or 16th notes), is great when you want to rearrange the elements of a loop, because every slice fits in every slot. Each track has a randomize button that will rearrange its slices in random order. Threshold slicing is best for capturing individual events and preserving timing, and you can even import REX files directly. For example, you might transfer the content of one loop into slices obtained by threshold slicing from another loop.

Once you've added some tracks to an arrangement, you have a variety of tools for munging their slices. You can reverse, pitch-shift, and stretch any slice. You can alter its volume, volume envelope, and pan settings. Possibly most interesting, you can set the probability that the slice will play. You can randomize each of those parameters independently, and you can set the range of randomization. For instance, you could randomize the probability of each slice within a range of 90 to 100 percent to give you occasional dropouts with little likelihood of long gaps. Stretch is one of my favorite parameters to randomize because it adds an echoing quality to some slices (See Web Clip 1). [Online Bonus Material]

You can purchase LiveSlice or download a demo complete with examples from the LiveLab Web site (www.livelab.dk). While there, have a look at the free Touchpad 2, which turns the touch pad on your laptop into a MIDI x-y controller. If you enjoy messing with loops, LiveSlice is for you.

shamann wrote:Not yet, I think they post the magazine's contents for the previous month only once the new issue comes out. Here's the link to last month's:

http://emusician.com/software/download_month_61/

When it's available, the March one should be:

http://emusician.com/software/download_month_62/
Oh i didn't realize you could subscribe.Seems like a good deal for three emagazines.Cool beans :)

LarryAW wrote:This is the content of the article in Electronic Musician. I may have made a typo or two. I don't think there are many mistakes, but there could be. He did write mangling in one sentence and mungling in the other. I don't think Len Sasso or EM would mind me typing this out, since it's in the Developer's own forum.

The Article:

Download of the Month

LiveSlice ($64) from Danish software developer Jacob Carstens is a beat slicer and audio file mangler for Windows that's both powerful and easy to use. You choose an audio file or pipe audio into its slicer in real time, specify how you want the audio sliced, then click on a button to transfer the slices to a track in its built-in Arranger for processing and playback. The slicer holds up to 64 loops, and each of LiveSlice's 64 arrangements holds as many as 32 tracks. You play MIDI notes to trigger whole arrangements or individual slices.

LiveSlice offers both fixed-length and threshold slicing. Fixed-length slicing, in which all slices have the same length (say, beats or 16th notes), is great when you want to rearrange the elements of a loop, because every slice fits in every slot. Each track has a randomize button that will rearrange its slices in random order. Threshold slicing is best for capturing individual events and preserving timing, and you can even import REX files directly. For example, you might transfer the content of one loop into slices obtained by threshold slicing from another loop.

Once you've added some tracks to an arrangement, you have a variety of tools for munging their slices. You can reverse, pitch-shift, and stretch any slice. You can alter its volume, volume envelope, and pan settings. Possibly most interesting, you can set the probability that the slice will play. You can randomize each of those parameters independently, and you can set the range of randomization. For instance, you could randomize the probability of each slice within a range of 90 to 100 percent to give you occasional dropouts with little likelihood of long gaps. Stretch is one of my favorite parameters to randomize because it adds an echoing quality to some slices (See Web Clip 1). [Online Bonus Material]

You can purchase LiveSlice or download a demo complete with examples from the LiveLab Web site (www.livelab.dk). While there, have a look at the free Touchpad 2, which turns the touch pad on your laptop into a MIDI x-y controller. If you enjoy messing with loops, LiveSlice is for you.
Thanks Larry.I've been searching the web and i can't find much about Liveslice.Often reviews can shed some light on features you might otherwise overlook..I've read a few posts talking about videos but i can't find any.There were some on the site but i can't find them either.Plus the manual doesn't seem to be up to date..?

Anyway thanks for posting it :)

musikmachine wrote:
LarryAW wrote:This is the content of the article in Electronic Musician. I may have made a typo or two. I don't think there are many mistakes, but there could be. He did write mangling in one sentence and mungling in the other. I don't think Len Sasso or EM would mind me typing this out, since it's in the Developer's own forum.

The Article:

Download of the Month

Thanks Larry.I've been searching the web and i can't find much about Liveslice.Often reviews can shed some light on features you might otherwise overlook..I've read a few posts talking about videos but i can't find any.There were some on the site but i can't find them either.Plus the manual doesn't seem to be up to date..?

You're Welcome, MusikMachine. I absolutely agree that reviews shed light on features you might miss. People argue all of the time about whether or not a review was objective. If that's a problem for someone, just read the detailed description of the program's features and don't worry about the conclusions and ratings.

LarryAW wrote:
musikmachine wrote:

The Article:

Download of the Month

You're Welcome, MusikMachine. I absolutely agree that reviews shed light on features you might miss. People argue all of the time about whether or not a review was objective. If that's a problem for someone, just read the detailed description of the program's features and don't worry about the conclusions and ratings.
Liveslice is excellent,i don't think there's any question of that :hihi:

But where is the dev?I have a few questions and i posted some issues but not had a reply.I'll start a new thread..

Return to “Livelab.dk”