Want a switch of DAW

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Ableton for me now too.
I used to be a Sonar user but a) it seems to crash a lot on my new Win7 Laptop and Ableton Live 8 doesn't (touch wood!), and b) I find Live a better workflow for my needs.

I also rewire Reason into Ableton when needed.

I've also done a page on routing tips for Live if anyone is interested.

http://macableton.com/tutorials/routing.html
Studio One, OS X 10.0, M-Audio Oxygen 25 keyboard.
Old websites:
http://www.bitwigtutorials.net Free Bitwig Studio tutorials
http://www.macableton.com Free Ableton Live and Mac tutorials.

Ahseyo wrote:Don't know if this is the proper forum to post this, but I'm currently using FL Studio Rewired with Reason.
The thing is, I'm very pleased with my set up but I really want to learn how to use one of those powerful DAW's like Cubase and Logic.
The thing is they scare me off because they are simply too complex for me, I'm always used to that dragging sounds in and just chaining them, I hate bothering with adding MIDI and Audios and splitting Midis for drums and whatnot...(you get the idea, what I'm talking about).
Do any of you guys have any tips of what to do and how to come around this issue/Fear? Because as soon as I see this I immediately close down the software because of the fear that it will get over-complicated...
I need help because I really want to learn how to use these powerful tools, since alot of people use them, and I don't want to have the trouble of not knowing how to learn how to use that DAW when someone who, for an example, wants to collaborate with me uses the software and I have no clue on how to use it...
As a happy very Cubase user for over 18 years the prospect of learning Fruity Loops appears daunting so its all relative. Stick with what gets the job done with minimum fuss. I doubt you will sound any better with something else.

In the past I've used FL Studio, Ableton and Logic Pro 9. Recently, I've switched over to Presonus Studio 2. And I absolutely love it. It's very ez to work with, and has some good quality on board FX (although, I do use lots of third party stuff tbh). Have a gander at the demo.

ive owned nearly every daw, i will say that as a new cubase user its been a bit of a journey. but im starting to get it now, and people on kvr have been very helpful. cubase has stuff that annoys me, but i cant deny that it took me both out of writers block, and i have written more songs for it in the time i owned it (since last month) then i have in owning any other daw. meaning that of all the daws i owned including reason, in each first month i owned the daw, i wrote more song in cubase month then any other daw.

i cant argue with progress. my friend said i have finally found the daw that works for me. ill be sticking with cubase. though, im just not ready to release my music in the music forum because really, i dont know what genre of music i want to stick to since i got bored with my old genre. ive gone through writing multiple genres since but have hit a bit of a genre wall, so ive been just experimenting with all different genres. best in finding a daw that works for you. it only took me 10 years to find it starting with ejay back in 2003. you seem to have found the daw for you and i think it would be very dumb to switch what works.

You are definitely going to get the best help here. Well, I did when I used cubase.....

skipkent wrote:Any studio that really wants your business will do whatever they can to work with whatever you have. They run into these situations all the time. Don't feel like you need to do their work for them. When the time comes, call a few studios, tell them what you have and what you want to do, and let them tell you how they're going to make it all work for you.

This is what they do for a living. They are NOT going to say, "Dude, you're not using ProTools? Umm...call us back later, mmmKay?" Trust me, they want your business and are familiar with these sorts of complications!
In the world of pro A/V you will run into situations where a contract requires specific compatibility. It might surprise a lot of the amateurs who get into these forum threads that the compatibility often won't be "ProTools" or any other product that's well known to consumers. I had a colleague who had to deal with very specialized gear that dealt with synching the commentator's soundtrack with the automated graphics for televised pro sports. None of the GAS junkies around here ever mention that stuff :-)

james0tucson wrote:
skipkent wrote:Any studio that really wants your business will do whatever they can to work with whatever you have. They run into these situations all the time. Don't feel like you need to do their work for them. When the time comes, call a few studios, tell them what you have and what you want to do, and let them tell you how they're going to make it all work for you.

This is what they do for a living. They are NOT going to say, "Dude, you're not using ProTools? Umm...call us back later, mmmKay?" Trust me, they want your business and are familiar with these sorts of complications!
In the world of pro A/V you will run into situations where a contract requires specific compatibility. It might surprise a lot of the amateurs who get into these forum threads that the compatibility often won't be "ProTools" or any other product that's well known to consumers. I had a colleague who had to deal with very specialized gear that dealt with synching the commentator's soundtrack with the automated graphics for televised pro sports. None of the GAS junkies around here ever mention that stuff :-)
Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2011
^^^^^^^^^

btw, nice. It must be awful that gas junkies and amateurs DARE post on the the forum!

Personally I use sonar and I'm a guitarist as well as a keyboardist that writes classical, blues and rock tunes. main influences: YES, Dream Theater, Genesis, Al Di Meola, Andy Timmons, Gary Moore, Deep Purple, Rush, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Kansas, Yngwie Malmsteen, Symphony X, Cacophony, Jeff Beck, Joe Satriani, MSG, Scorpions, ELP, Queensryche, Queen and King Crimson.

The reason I chose sonar over Cubase is the included extras and being both a guitarist as well as a keyboardist I need both synths and guitar amp sims.

I think the fact they were first with 64 bit says that they are ahead of the curve with most things DAW oriented and I have used cubase and reaper and thought hey lacked either the features I needed or were less user friendly.

If your going to play guitar then you need a good amp sim and TH2 is a very good one. The breverb plugin is nice as well for a low CPU algo based verb to compliment the others in Sonar. The pro channel is only in producer but that is what I have and its a must have and will save you a ton of money not having to add a lot of expensive plugins right away.

Synth wise there is the full version of Dimension pro and rapture plus the Z3ta 1.5 synth and a nice piano called true amber. Other synths are also available but these are the best ones and people pay for them by themself and rate them highly.

Adding in free synths and plugs will compliment sonar and I would also recommend some bargain synths like Korg legacy M1 ($50), VB3 ($50) for a great organ vst and OPX player ($40)for some great synth sounds that are from famous songs to inspire you.

The forum at cakewalk is full of nice people ready to help you if your easy to get along with and patient enough to accept help from people who know their craft. Customer support has always been helpful to me and the program works fine on my quadcore vista system.

You can get sonar le free when you buy certain sound cards and interfaces. Emu has some cheap PCI stuff that comes with lite versions of sonar cubase and Live. Roland interfaces all come with sonar le as do various others. Try it out get some help in the CW forum and get busy writing a masterpiece.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”