Ableton Newbie..

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys,

Just got all my gear sorted.. audio interface, monitors ect. Purchased Live 8 yesterday but I'm not quiet sure where to start..

What are some good tutorial websites? Free and paid?

Am I going to need plug in's to start off with? or will Ableton itself be enough to make something with?

Cheers.

Congrats Nathn. I think you will like working with Live. Did you get the big pack (Live Suite)?

For tutorials I'd start with Ableton. They have a slew of tuts at the site. Also Youtube. Lot's of helpful stuff there.

For plug ins you will find a good starting point at Ableton again. Plenty of plugs to make some noise, 'specially in Suite package.

Best advice I can give is first learn how to use Live before investing a lot into plug-ins. Do a search here at KVR for free plugs and go from there. Many supporting Devs here that have given some good plugs for us to use (Thank you! :D )

Happy musiking!
dsan

Good work lad! another Ableton recruit!

There are an endless array of tutorials on youtube! I have made some aswell! youtube has endless opportunity, I would know as that's how I learnt, from the video's there.

give it a crack, type in Ableton basics and just view what you want, after a while it will all make sense, as It might sound like the davinci code at first!

Stick with it!

KaotoneSound wrote:give it a crack
But... he already bought it.

Regards,
8)

As well as the Ableton YouTube site, also check out DubSpot, Afro DJ Mac and DJ Vespers ... and there's some free stuff for Live on my website. :)

Also don't be scared to just start playing around, it won't bite ;)
Also save all your interesting ideas no matter how small as they may be useful down the track
I've just started using 9 (beta) and as I play around with the new features I save them as projects
I think it's a good idea to put learning new skills straight into creative ideas and ableton is ideal for doing this :)

Cheers guys.

I would suggest getting your hands on massive, izotope iris (sampler), sylenth, and the waves plugins (for mastering/fx.)

The standard ableton effects work really nicely if you tweak them a bit, so just browse around youtube for tutorials and try to make music to the best of your ability. Every time you get stuck on something in ableton, you can run a quick search on youtube and fix your problem. Probably the best way to learn is to just try ableton out.
https://soundcloud.com/itsjacuzzi/jacuzzi-feud
Hiphop Producer from Honolulu, Hawaii

Keep an eye out for my Trap EP coming this February

https://vespers.ca/free/

nice tutorials and time saving ebook
"It dreamed itself along"

Hi,

im pretty new to production also and new on this site :)

Have been watching lots of tuts online so hopefully i can be of some help.

As mentioned - there are great tuts on youtube

Some channels to check out that i would recommend are(i know some have been mentioned before, but these are what i found helpful, im into house music):

Dubspot
Pointblank
sonic academy - for basic stuff
daily ableton - if your into house, check out some of their free vids.
Quantise courses - he does one to one classes at a reasonable price too.
innerstatejt - some of this stuff might be better left till you are more adanced, if i remember correctly.
DJMartijnKuilema - if your into techno
Vespers
deeflash - got loads on most of the effects in Live

Thats what i can remember off the top of my head, but there are loads more

Vimeo is good too!

Hope thats some help

8)

mellotronaut wrote:https://vespers.ca/free/

nice tutorials and time saving ebook
That guy lives in a nearby town to me, I'll have to look into his tutorials more..
:borg:

Loads of excellent free tutorials by Tom Cosm.

Also check out Mr Bill.

Some topics are advanced, but all excellent quality.

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

jayjay112 wrote:

sonic academy - for basic stuff

Not sure why people think sonic academy is for basic stuff or just for beginners. Recently we've had tutorials from:

Charlie May (sasha - Expander, Schorchio) with a remix of Lana Del Ray
Arvine And Misk Remix Walkthrough of Kelis Brave.
Chris Agnew - 5 Top 20 Uk Hits - Remixed U2 and a ton of other uk number one tracks
Jupiter Ace - Top 10 uk hit
Spektre, Eelke Kleijn ,Jim Rivers, Tom Demac are all successful, respected techno producers

etc.

these guys are all professionals releasing chart topping stuff.

We have tutorials from beginner to professional and everything in between.

Hi Nathn,

welcome to the party :tu:

IMHO the best way to get to know Live is the ":help:" button next to "Options"
there you find the "Help View"
Now you have access to the "Live 8 Lessons" and a good starting point

But the most obvious tutorial is "Read the Live Manual" :help:
the Abe's have put quite a lot of information inside (all Basic & all Advanced)

equipped with this knowledge you can do your own tutorials and make money :D

When you encounter specific problems whilst you are working with Live check up the web for tutorials.

On the other hand tutorials (esp. Tom Cosm, Afro DJ Mac) are a great source of inspiration.

When you have the "Suite" you may not need anything else, you could save some cash, get a more stable Live (worthy of discussion) and you are ideally suited to produce some official tracks.

And of course "Have fun!" 8)

No offence Phil.

There are some great tutorials on SA. Especially the music theory ones, and especially the theory
Ones by Jamie Schmidt.

There are some good production tuts too and some good advice along the way.

As a constructive criticism I would love to see some more tutorials with a bit more thought going into the preparation,
Not only on SA. But if you are paying for tutorials you kinda expect the end track to be something which you might consider to buy.

It's just my two cents. And its not only sonic academy.

I said SA for basic stuff. Meaning and I should have been more clear, the
Tuts on music theory, scales, modes, circle of fifths and rythem etc were some of the best ones I found. And
Helped clear up some of the problems I was having.
Some of the genre specific production tuts are good but in my honest opinion some I would expect a little more for my money.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”