What to invest in to solve DRUM/BEAT problem?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

there's currently a great deal going on at jrrshop for geist which is a pretty exhaustive drum sampling (it actually samples) and sound creation workstation

but i'd also emphasise what has been said about searching out drumming tutorials to learn how to think like a drummer...even getting familiar with the basic rudiments will be a great help to making more convincing beats

just a name and email address gets you access to these tut's

http://drumrudimentsystem.com/masterclass/

I really do want Geist and Tremor (and/or Tattoo) for electronic. Thanks for alerting me to the jrrshop deal, I noticed they sell both in a combo package that is even better than the individual cyber monday deals. Still not cheap for me (I live in a developing country). But I'll have to think hard about it.

Thanks for that drum lesson link as well.

BTW, anybody know what an educational edition of these fxpansion products are? THere is no info on either fxpansion or JRR.
Windows 11/Linux Manjaro KDE + Waveform 11.

rpm wrote:I really do want Geist and Tremor (and/or Tattoo) for electronic. Thanks for alerting me to the jrrshop deal, I noticed they sell both in a combo package that is even better than the individual cyber monday deals. Still not cheap for me (I live in a developing country). But I'll have to think hard about it.

Thanks for that drum lesson link as well.

BTW, anybody know what an educational edition of these fxpansion products are? THere is no info on either fxpansion or JRR.
you may not know this also, but jrr shop discount another $15 when you come to pay :D

Wow, sweet!

rpm wrote:Wow, sweet!
i'd recommend trying the geist demo..some people seem to not get on with it..it does seem quite overwhelming at first

I demo'd Geist and was overwhelmed (but not with Tremor, that one was super intuitive to me). But watching the youtube vids of Geist, I understood that it's almost like a standalone DAW in a way, and I would more than willingly take the time to learn it. I haven't done much electronic drum production before, so it's partly my lack of familiarity and experience with the concepts. On another thread, people are talking about re-sampling with Geist and I don't even know what that is. :?

rpm wrote:I demo'd Geist and was overwhelmed (but not with Tremor, that one was super intuitive to me). But watching the youtube vids of Geist, I understood that it's almost like a standalone DAW in a way, and I would more than willingly take the time to learn it. I haven't done much electronic drum production before, so it's partly my lack of familiarity and experience with the concepts. On another thread, people are talking about re-sampling with Geist and I don't even know what that is. :?
i actually found the demo very overwhelming to start off with, but if you isolate areas bit by bit then it is easier to work around

i'm still also demoing it, but really want to buy

resampling is kinda as it says...say, you have processed a loop or hits with the internal effects (seem great btw), then you can re-record (or resample) the output so that the hit/loop now has those effects as part of itself..this can be useful if you want to free up memory from all the realtime effects, but from a sound design point of you, you can really get in and create some a great sonic mess...

with regard to learning geist, it comes with what looks like one of the best manuals i have seen...time will tell whether it works well for really getting to grips with it

Thanks for the explanation, makes total sense, just didn't know the terminology. Would be interested to know how your experience is if you end up buying.

rpm wrote:Thanks for the explanation, makes total sense, just didn't know the terminology. Would be interested to know how your experience is if you end up buying.
problem is that i will likely be waiting until the last minute to get the deal (lasts until the 31st dec), as i have overspent this month and need to wait for any unforeseen circumstances

the other thing is that workflow is a really personal thing. i have seen quite a lot of kvr members selling geist in the marketplace, so something isn't working out well for them. given fxpansion have, i believe, the highest transfer fee in this area, it's not something to buy on a whim

i'd recommend you really take the next 20 days or so to really dig into the demo and find out if you could imagine it becoming an important part of your workflow

if it helps, then look at the price again and see what it will take to justify the expenditure. split it into 3 sections - the sampler, the sequencer and the library. what i can tell you is that for me just the sampling features alone make it a no-brainer..i will likely never use the sequencer as i don't really work that way (but maybe to get a rough idea of how sounds work together). i have heard the library is very good so i will consider that a bonus

i'm into it to be able to sample on-the-fly (no need to bounce midi or instrument tracks to audio, to then have to import it somewhere else)..nope, just sample, slice and drag-to-pad...bung on some effects, resample...and again etc etc etc...it seems very close to the MPC experience in the sense of workflow not hindering inspiration and experimentation. having my akai mpd16 hooked up in the chain will help with that illusion :D

the main idea i'm shooting for, aside from beats (as in drums, not the new-fangled terminology taken to mean all the instruments), is the chopping of musical phrases so that they can then be programmed rhythmically. i would like to remix my own compositions, but i can see the easy workflow leading to experimentation also

If you want "the certain something" than hire a real drummer.
You can't beat the real feeling and most producers don't have a clue how to programm some groovy and round drums.
Most drummer nowadays have both: A-Drums and E-Drums.
I have ;-)
So drop me a message if you're up for the real thing.
Click my SounCloud below for demonstration.

Cheers

(( D ))

I would work with a real drummer if time and money allowed but I'm just a hobbyist and not that ambitious. otherwise I really don't enjoy any fake drums or instruments. but that's all I can do, really.

I think this article will give you a good idea:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep10/a ... m-prog.htm

IMO, it is not an easy job to sound like a real drummer! To sound like a real drummer, you need to be a drummer! But, I think basic knowledge of how pattern is constructed and where to put the fill in the song (song structure: intro/verse/chorus/break ...etc) all this will help you choose the midi patterns for your song, arrange them and slightly edit them if required.
The basic knowledge would help you also in a program like Geist (which is especially great for electronic beats).

EnGee wrote:To sound like a real drummer, you need to be a drummer!
You really know what you're talking about ! :tu:

(( D ))

drumity wrote:
EnGee wrote:To sound like a real drummer, you need to be a drummer!
You really know what you're talking about ! :tu:

(( D ))
:oops:

I had a friend who was a drummer, and one day I invited him to listen to my 'great drum track' and he smiled when I asked "oh well, what do you think?"! He was very polite and I knew later why he smiled (it was so bad that he couldn't listen to it again :hihi: ). In short I'm not a drummer, but I know a little bit about how a real drummer thinks!

As I said, I hate the pretense. I'm conflicted about whether I should learn more drumming theory so I can get my EZDrummer tracks to sound more like a real drummer. All I want is to lay down beats so my songs are more enjoyable. In the past, to avoid appearing like I'm trying to sound like a real drummer, I've often messed up with the beats, used electronic sounds instead of acoustic drums JUST SO THAT people know I'm programming "artificial" drums and not trying to fool anyone. I'm still conflicted about the use of EZDrummer for this reason, but the software itself is nice and makes it enjoyable for me to make music as a hobbyist. That's all.

In any case, learning more about drumming is useful so thanks for the info.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”