New to Pro Audio. Need advice on creating drum beats.

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey guys as the title says I'm pretty new to this stuff. And not doing anything real serious mainly just trying to come up with some good background music for some videos. I love rock, classical, and dubstep. Currently using Music Creator 6. Just a cut down version of Sonar basically.

Anyways my current issue is creating drum patterns. I've been playing guitar for over 13 years now, some piano as well. But I was never any good at drums. Even if its just hitting keys on a keyboard I am still pretty bad at keeping time when trying to drum.. doesnt workout quite as naturally for me as it does with guitar. So I've been thinking about investing in some hardware like a drum machine. Or a Midi controller of some sort like a sequencer that I could use with VST's to have tons of options with getting different drum sounds. So what is my best option to control drum VST's?

Looking for something like a drum machine of course where you set the tempo to whatever, tell it which pad to play and when to play it... ect you guys know what I'm looking for. Just something to easily set up a pattern on and click record when I get it how I want it.

I found a NI Maschine Studio for $134.99 at a pawn shop. Looks to be in mint condition. But they dont have box and I highly doubt it comes with the software (which I recently studied and found that you cannot buy just the software unfortunately. Actually very stupid on NI's part as they would make money every time someone decided to sell their hardware)... How would it work as just a controller for other plugins in Music Creator/Sonar?

If not Mashine Studio what is a great piece of hardware that would work for what I'm wanting. Just a great controller/sequencer for VST's like Drumatic, EXD 80 or Cakewalk SI Drum kit. Wanting to stay at $150.00 or under. Thank you
Sweet

bump
Sweet

Music Creator 6 has a step sequencer. http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation/d ... ws.19.html
Throw some drum samples into a sampler and start there.

You don't need an external "drum machine" for what you're doing. Start there above and if that doesn't cut it for you look into NI Battery etc.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”