Cheap or Free DAW

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

excessional wrote:Sonar X3 you can pick up for about $50 at the moment.
Is this for the US only? Cakewalk's site lists X3 at €95 for me, which is about $130.

JRRshop currently has it on sale at $59 but you also get a 15% discount applied on checkout, so that's basically $50.

I think anyone can buy it at that price...
Sonar Platinum, Ignite and Ableton Live 9 DAWS
AIR Hybrid 3, Synthmaster, Z3ta+2, Addictive Drums 2, True Piano Amber, Rapture, Dim Pro, BFD Eco, AAS Strum, Addictive Keys, Synth 1 VSTs
Nektar LX61, Korg MicroKey and Akai Pro LPD8 Pad

Probably already mentioned: Reaper

You can get it for 60$ if you're a private (non professional = under 20k of earning per year) user.
Image stardustmedia - high end analog music services - murat

Reaper is great value at $60.

However it doesn't come with any virtual instruments/samples.

You can of course get a vast array of free and demo VSTs and samples if you hunt around (the Addictive Keys Grand Piano Demo is still my 'go to' piano sound after all) and a lot of the instruments thrown in with base level DAWs by the other manufacturers aren't that great, but I do think Sonar chucking in Session Drummer 3 in its base version swings me to recommending it. You won't pick up drum kits or a drum design studio VST as good as that for free. Really you need to go up to BFD or Addictive Drums to get anything much better (although I did manage to pick up the great BFD Eco for $25 on a sale last month - sounds superb although you are limited to the kits it come with).

I think if you really want a budget DAW then I think it's between Sonar X3 and Reaper for general use.

Both have demos (X3 is limited to a month's use and Reaper asks you to pay or uninstall after a month) - so why not try them out and see what you think.

If you want to make purely electronic music (esp. if you are going mainly sample-based) and are happy not being able to record any audio at all into your DAW then you could also consider the basic FL Studio 11 at $99.
Sonar Platinum, Ignite and Ableton Live 9 DAWS
AIR Hybrid 3, Synthmaster, Z3ta+2, Addictive Drums 2, True Piano Amber, Rapture, Dim Pro, BFD Eco, AAS Strum, Addictive Keys, Synth 1 VSTs
Nektar LX61, Korg MicroKey and Akai Pro LPD8 Pad

Mixcraft 6 or EnergyXt

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”