What Synthesizer do you recommend?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Although you have Sytrus which covers top 3 types of synthesis with very top features & user friendly GUI, I would recommend you to either get:
1. rgc (Cakewalk) z3ta+
2. Reveal Sound - Spire

cryophonik wrote: What is "pop music" - Michael Jackson? Coldplay? Rihanna? Madonna? Skrillex? Help us narrow it down;
What do you like/dislike about the synths you've been using? That would be a great place to start.
From the artists you have listed I would say Rihanna.
Maybe some other artist: Bruno Mars, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry etc.
Moreover I will list some songs:
Troublemaker - Olly Murs
Try - Pink
Diamonds - Rihanna
Wake Me Up - Avicii
Can't Hold Us - Macklemore & Rayn Lewis

A Baldwin Fun Machine, you can often get them for much less than $100. Great sounds, cool rhythms, and packed with fun.

marioschluse wrote:Troublemaker - Olly Murs
Doesn't have synths.
Try - Pink
The only synth is that high pitched melodic thing during the verses and pretty much any synth can do that. God, what a detestable video that is, a dance rendition of rape and domestic violence, with her coming back for more over and over again. Who is she, Rihanna?

Speaking of whom...
Diamonds - Rihanna
Also doesn't have synths...
Wake Me Up - Avicii
Waves Element is good for these sounds and it's on sale for $83.99 right now.
The only synth here is that synth string sound during the chorus. Element is good for that, too.

Overall, the instruments I heard in these examples were pianos, acoustic guitars, electric guitars, bass, real strings, some real brass in "Can't Hold Us", and only a smattering of synth sounds. Are you sure it's a synth that you're after and not a rompler?

Uncle E wrote: Overall, the instruments I heard in these examples were pianos, acoustic guitars, electric guitars, bass, real strings, some real brass in "Can't Hold Us", and only a smattering of synth sounds. Are you sure it's a synth that you're after and not a rompler?
Thanks for your answers everyone.
I thought they were synths... this shows how a noob I am XD.
Well, at least the lists shows what kind of music I want to make (nevermind the videos and lyrics ;-))

Maybe I need a synthesizer which also can sound like "real" instruments.

I think I will try and learn with synth1 for now.
Later I will try some of the recommended synths.

Thanks for your help!

All you need is Sylenth for now.

As you are a self confessed 'noob' it's the synth that'll give you the largest selection of genre targeted soundsets to expand with and it's simple to use.

marioschluse wrote:Maybe I need a synthesizer which also can sound like "real" instruments.
HALion Sonic 2 is good in that regard, it has excellent synths and real instruments. We sell the educational version for $106.24 so it's right around your price range if you're a student.

Check out the sounds at 8:38:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLQ7ONSWZQU?t=6m2s
Last edited by Uncle E on Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tehlord wrote:All you need is Sylenth for now.
If you listen to the songs the OP cited, the Avicii track is the only one that sounds like it could have been done with Sylenth.

If you're a beginner here's my advice - don't spend any money... yet. There are many very good free synths out there. Download a few popular ones and get a feel for the differences between them. You might find that all of your needs are easily covered without spending any cash.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

You can't really go wrong with Spire or Dune II. Both sound excellent and can produce a wide range of sounds. Dune II is a breeze to use.

If you really want modern EDM sounds, then also have a look at Tone2's Gladiator or ElectraX. They look very complicated, but they are really easy to use. Lovely FX as well.

U-he's Synths are awesome too, but may be a little complicated for someone just starting out.

All the synths I've mentioned here, have very good presets too (as well as 3rd party available). :)
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

I agree with tehlord

Start out with Sylenth1, great easy synth to get a variety of patchs and to start learning the basics.

Of course freeware is Synth1 (again same statement as Above).

Others to definately consider...u-he Ace, Zebra thios is of course the u-he audio forum...doh, i mean kvraudio.

Do look at Vanguard, an oldie but still capable, cakewalks Z3ta+ v2.0 is not too shabby.

Of course if you have a few hundred spare you may want to douse yourself with NI komplete FM7, Massive, Kontakt, etc

Or get a nice simple hardware synth to get your tactile juices going.

marioschluse wrote:From the artists you have listed I would say Rihanna.
Maybe some other artist: Bruno Mars, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry etc.
Moreover I will list some songs:
Troublemaker - Olly Murs
Try - Pink
Diamonds - Rihanna
Wake Me Up - Avicii
You may want to post the actual videos of these here so that everyone can hear what you're asking for. To do that, you simply paste the link (make sure it starts with http, not https, and don't use the youtu.be link that they suggest on the sharing tab). For example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne7fDwgZQxM

I think uncle e has it sussed. The target genres, and o.p, would likely get greater use out of a rompler that includes real sounds as well as synth sounds.

One synth ive heard the demo of that I would say would or might be a high contender is the "element" by waves.com

Try wavesuniverse.com for a good deal. Its got a unique cool sound for pop in my opinion. Good luck.

Also Sylenth1 really is a blast to program with. Really easy once you get the hang that everything is tied in or can be.

By the way, bro! Im not too keen on this subject so maybe you could investigate. But iuf you need an audio interface the M audio track plus comes with Pro Tools. Which to my ear on some of the demos I've heard is leaning to the pop side of things. Im not sure which insturments if any come with that version of Pro Tools included with the M-Audio track plus.

Ableton comes with the M audio that is not the "plus" rather not so good with the laptop battery either.

For your 411 :) . An audio interface is a must have for serious music makers at all.

Good luck and do lots of window shoppin! It not fun at first when you don't know anything, but it sure does pay off.

Cheers,

Tony

PS

Zeta is cool sounding. Though Ive never worked with it.
Ableton Live 8 Suite 64 Bit, Sylenth1 64 Bit,Rapture, Zeta+2,Synthmaster, Dimenison Pro, Mo' Phatt. and Waves plugs.
DELL i-3770 3.9ghz, 12GB RAM, INTEL SSD,
M-Audio Bx8 D2
Oxygen 49
TC ELECTRONIC impact twin 64 Bit
Fast Track Plus
Grace and love

A free route to ROMpling (and one which I use myself) is the free sfz player and a quality soundfont like SGM or GeneralUser GS. With multiple instances of sfz player, you can treat each instrument on a separate track, and get high quality results. Don't bother listening to video game soundtracks played on these soundfonts. To get a real estimate of what they can sound like, use sfz player as if it were a synth.

As an example, here's a short thing I slapped together using only SGM sounds. http://k007.kiwi6.com/hotlink/doysiasman/SGM_pop.mp3

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”