what should i buy?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

hi..am thinking of getting new soundcard, monitors & mic....am currently using An m-audio2496 card & a behringer c1 condenser mic with cheap Roxy mixer.,..everything is sounding harsh to me ..I need some advice on what to buy pls..I have about 600$ to spend on all three

Current monitors?
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Hello luxuryguy,
Welcome to the forum! :tu:

IMO, your 2496 card is fine so you won't need to replace it.

Like Mushy Mushy, I wonder what monitors you currently use.

The harshness you experience could be those and the other two items, mic and mixer. Definitely the mixer is questionable.

It may also be a matter of your mixing technique. I recommend reading up on good recording techniques to see if you can tweak your current devices to get better sound.

Then read up on some good mixing techniques to tweak some more.

Personally, from experience, I will bet these are your most problem areas.

Also, depending on your current monitors, I would spend that budget on a great set of monitors.

Imo it is not likely you will improve much the mixer and mic given your budget. Certainly not all you are wanting to replace.

So this begs the question, which monitors should I buy?

There are many threads here at KVR and all over the net about this question.

The best advice to determine which is to take some CD's with you to a music store and listen. Then listen some more.

Then do it again.

If you play an instrument ask the sales agent to help you set up a demo of the equipment you plan to purchase. They will, if you ask. (Rarely have I had an agent volunteer a demo session :hihi:)

You will be surprised what you learn when you approach your purchases this way. Always demo!

You may want to check out the Market Place forum here as a lot of times you can find some really great deals. Buyer be aware of course:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=43

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Yep, the only thing you're hearing is your monitors (speakers) and/or headphones.

We need to address these first...
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

I recommend 8", even in a small room.
If you want your music to be played loud,
these will give enough bass response to translate across,
and a nice pair will not have any less fidelity.

Personally, I think 8's in a small room are too big. I have a small room.

I have a pair of Equator D5s that serve my needs very well and they won't break the bank.
Peace...
bluzkat

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”