What Is The Best DAW in 2014? Some options...

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I don't agree with this list, especially not putting Bitwig as number 2. I think this list should be redone as a "Best DAW for X"-list.

Man i think its hysterical that someone posts something that is meant to help or just to be an additional reference of DAW options for people out there and everyone starts in on the attacks immediately. I love reading stuff like this and the article gives no biased opinions or tries to sway the reader in any way. Just a quick rundown. And by the way its not in order of best to worst. Its simply a list of 15 that work well depending on your workflow. Whats so wrong with that? If the original poster is reading this, i rather enjoyed the list and love seeing different viewpoints on stuff like this. Cheers
Windows 10 PC. Reason. Cubase. Waveform. Reaper. Studio One Pro. Epiphone Les Paul Pro II. Nektar Panorama t4. Yamaha RBX Bass. Faderport 2. Eris E5 Monitors. SSL2 Interface. Audient Evo 4. AKG C214. Aston Origin. MXL 990.

I would prefer to see info here, and not an external site. Also, I want to get away from the pro sound. Yesterday I put together a song, and it's decent, and used ReaComp. But today I opened it up and could have used a much cooler compressor for a more stimulating sound.

I can't recall any mainstream recording that had a cool compressor.

Edit: Sorry to keep bumping a July thread
The only site for experimental amp sim freeware & MIDI FX: http://runbeerrun.blogspot.com
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCprNcvVH6aPTehLv8J5xokA -Youtube jams

What's not to like about REAPER ? I looked no further. I was completely overwhelmed by all the unnecessary features (for me) on the expensive stuff and I didn't want to invest a load of money as well as time . I can record, edit and mix a decent song and that will do me, and I suspect many others. Support these guys at Cockos and get recording. Life's too short to check them all out.

george [GTPS] wrote:We just posted a new run-down of what we think are the best 15 DAWs available in 2014.
A bit premature to put Bitwig as high as no 2

Ha Ha Ableton, while being a very creative DAW for certain types of music is far from a complete solution, much less #1
Bitwig? psshaw!

FL Studio on the other hand is a fairly complete solution except for notation and no MAC version yet.

I give "Best" to Cubase for it's super Midi features, Workflow, Audio editor, Notation and Audio engine. Logic #2

Hang on... Is this list supposed to be 'in order', if so I find your selections high dubious.

Ableton numero uno? Me' ballix...

Bitwig number two? Nah... Not yet - as ops have said (yes, I do have it). FL studio No. 3? (Hmm...).

If it's supposed to be a 'handy reference' for a beginner then how is this list going to help? If anything your going to confuse the bajesus out of them. I don't really believe in the best DAW as it's pretty personal.

Why would you just not recommend (in no particular order):

Cubase.
Logic.
Ableton.
S1 (used by the Virus crew - 'nuff said).
Reaper (if it's good enough for Dom & Roland).
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Robmobius wrote: Cubase.
Logic.
Ableton.
S1 (used by the Virus crew - 'nuff said).
Reaper (if it's good enough for Dom & Roland).
They say respect your elders so I go for Cubase (Logic aint on Windows, so that is exluded)

During the current updates of the Waldorf plugins i had to use many hosts for testing (mostly as demo/trial versions) and here is my personal TOP 10 based on my experiences (of course this is subjective):

1. Ableton Live 9 Suite
2. Presonus Studio One 2.6
3. Steinberg Cubase 7.5
4. Cakewalk Sonar X3
5. Cockos Reaper 4.7
6. Avid Pro Tools 11
7. Bitwig Studio
8. Image Line FL Studio 11
9. Energy XT 2.7
10. MOTU Digital Performer 8

From my own TOP 5 i currently own full versions of Live 9, Studio One and Reaper. Once i get more used to it it is possible that Studio One will move up to 1st place.

Energy XT still has no native 64-bit support so it could not be top rated IMO. FL Studio and Digital Performer have the worst worklow IMO. Bitwig Studio still has too many bugs and misses important features like e.g. multiple plugin audio outputs.

Pro Tools 11 would mabye not be my main host but with the available plugins (AAX instrument plugins are available from e.g. AIR, NI, Waldorf, Arturia, U-He, Xils Lab, TAL and now also for Synthmaster) it works quite nicely. The overall workflow is also quite good IMO (especially compared to e.g. FL Studio and Digital Peformer).

A good thing about Studio One, Cubase and Sonar X3 is that they support both VST2 and VST3 plugins.

Ingo
Last edited by Ingonator on Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

jjpscott01 wrote:Man i think its hysterical that someone posts something that is meant to help or just to be an additional reference of DAW options for people out there and everyone starts in on the attacks immediately.
Well the OP did say it was to help 'beginners' then went on to list all the top end DAWs. I'd never recommend Digital Performer or Nuendo or Bitwig to a beginner.

How about Mulab or EnergyXT or Tracktion or Garageband...? Powerful enough to get results and getting to grips with the concepts with laying out too much cash if you decide musics not for you.

I think one problem with ranking them is that it is very subjective, it always depends on three things
A) Who you work with (in my case it defined the options down to one DAW with no alternate choice)
B) What workflow you have naturally (I couldn't get along with Ableton but think it's great for lots of people just not me)
C) What system you work on (Windows-Linux-Apple)

I would just list the available ones with following addtional info:
- What is the workflow & speciality of the DAW?
- How buggy is it?
- What plugin formats does it support natively?
- What is the minimum specs to run it with
This would give users a better view than this fanboy war magnet lists
Cubase 6, Alesis Fusion, Virus Ti, Korg Triton & Digital & Analog Collection, K2000R, Yamaha CS1x, Komplete 9, Kirk Hunter Libraries, NVA Taiko Drums, Uhe Ace, Bazille and Zehbra, Polyana, Jamstix 3, Toontrack Drums and more libraries and VST's

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Darkjet covers this quite well in his blog:http://wp.me/p1DHZ4-4r (http://wp.me/p1DHZ4-4r). He says there is "No best, but rather preferences." They are all quite capable at this point.

Best thread ever.

Robmobius wrote:Hang on... Is this list supposed to be 'in order', if so I find your selections high dubious.
No!

I should also point out that the list is NOT ranked (in the comment section)

ghettosynth wrote:Best thread ever.
is it time yet for everyone to post their DAW and dissing everybody else's , although they never used anything else or some essential missing features are redundant to them?
It's not what you use, it's how you use it...

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”