How does one find film scoring jobs... (Composer looking for work)

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yeah "Agentur" sounds more familiar. I just have never stumbled over one by chance nor did I see any ad for one, so I thought that the music biz works without agents. It is quite similar to a "Verlag" though, isn't it? What would that be in english, publisher?

Yep, a Verlag is a publisher. An agent is really more like a middleman who acts on behalf of the artist. Agents typically have excellent connections in the industry and they'll get gigs and jobs for the artist(s) that they represent. Powerful people that can make careers. It's not easy to get a good agent, though, because they're picky. They have to believe in you and be convinced that what you do can be sold. So it pretty much goes back to square one: Got to work for free, exhibit your stuff, get some references.

If you google for "Musikagentur", you can find plenty of them. But yeah, don't waste money on phony ones who take upfront fees and will never do anything for you.

Simply wanting an agent doesn't get you one either. If you have no potential for them to sell you then they're unlikely to waste their time on you.

If you have some experience behind you and a portfolio that will allow you to be sold, then they *might* be interested.

It's not some guy who waves a magic wand and work instantly appears - it's someone who makes their living from the commission they get from selling proven products.

Thanks Mivo for the insight!

Hi William,

Step 1: Create some demos of your music and upload them to make your showreel on a site such as soundcloud.com

Step 2: Look for jobs on sites such as Mandy.com, Craigslist, FilmandTVPro, Starnow. Aim firstly at student films and independent filmmakers. Send your demos to them and keep pitching until you get to work on your first short.

Step 3: Repeat step 2 until you have a nice list of credits, preferably a few on IMDB and a whole load of new music in different styles (hopefully you'll have begun finding your unique voice along the way). You may be lucky to get your first small payments along the way. Keep updating your showreel, ditching old material for music that best represents your current standard.

Step 4: To make the leap to work that pays well, you will need to start developing some relationships in person. Serious filmmakers who have money to spend need to know they can trust you and work with you, that's hard to be sure of through online relationships alone, unless you've worked together before. Start going to networking nights, make contacts and build your confidence. Be nice to others, do favours for others, be mindful that this is a long term game and above all be genuine and yourself!

Step 5: In the meantime, you can approach music libraries and begin writing music for them. Generally all that is required for most libraries is that your music is of high quality and is somewhat distinct from everything else they currently have. If your music gets placed on TV you could be earning lots of money!

Step 6: If you have high quality music, a unique voice, professional confidence and at least one or two successful films (either award winning, somewhat well known or otherwise remarkable), then it's time to approach agents. They tend to be pretty friendly - call them up, introduce yourself and make them believe in you. If you get signed by an agent they could give you instant access to serious contacts that were previously out of reach.

Step 7: Keep writing and pitching better and better material to your agent until you get your "big break", then never look back.

Hope that helps!

Target a specific well known music library site, something with a reputation for quality artists and clients. If your work is rejected because it's not good enough, keep practicing until it is.

Don't work for free. The kind of clients that can't/won't pay probably won't offer you any benefits in the long run and you'll just set your own value at free.

You need to make one or two cues a week, for months/years. Have these uploaded to soundcloud.

It's unlikely you're going to make an income from that 'one big break' so licensing is most likely to be where your income comes from. You'll need hundreds of cues uploaded in order to do this. Make sure you know what customers want, not just the epic Zimmer score you want to make. The vast majority of income will come from corporate video/content/advertising.

With my experience it needs some connections to the right people. I was in contact with a radio moderator for a radio station here in Berlin. He visited my website and listened to all tracks. Some times ago he planned a film project with other guys and so he ask me... (I've rejected this offer because of my limited interest for scoring).

Try to find some contacts to independent film makers and this includes students in this department. Connections to people which are involved in broadcasting (tv, radio, movie but also advertising) can be helpful.
You should of course have some excellent tracks somewhere online so people can listen to it. You need some reputation in this business (it's the same with most other things) and so the first time I would not look too much into big $$$ but I would not make all for free (only if you think this could be a door opener).

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”