Ultra Portable Mac & PC HQ Playback setup for about $1800

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am a big sucker for quality on the go. I want something that has to be fairly minimalist and be portable, so after a bit of research I figured this is what I'll be getting when funds are available. I thought I'd share it here for anyone who is looking for a similar setup.

This setup is just for audio output and input. It is emphasizing sound quality over quantity. Why? Well if making a good mix matters to you.. then you'll want to get good playback gear.

The prices are listed are retail prices so I imagine you could find them cheaper by buying used or looking for deals.

Focusrite Forte - $530.00

2-In 4-Out
Legendary Focusrite Preamps
Rugged Aluminum Case
24bit/192khz Resolution
Color Oled Display
Touch Controls
Midnight Plug-in Suite

Sennheiser HD650 - $550.00

10hz - 39.5khz Frequency Range
Open Circumaural Design
300 Ohms
Selected, matched headphone systems with very tight tolerances (+/- 1dB)
Optimized magnet systems for minimizing harmonic and intermodulation distortion
Titanium finish
Quality metal mesh covers for superb open and transparent sound
Reinforced, insensitive to handling noise
Plated 1/4" jack plug with adapter lead to 3.5 mm jack plug
1-year warranty

Fender Passport Studio - $650.00

Mag Review here : http://www.recordingmag.com/productrevi ... 03/86.html

Amplifier Type: Class-D
Height: 23" (58.42cm)
Width: 29" (73.66cm)
Depth: 11" (27.94cm)
Output Power: 150 Watts
Speaker: Two FOCAL 5" Polyglass Cone Woofers
Horn/Tweeter: Two FOCAL Aluminum/Magnesium Inverted Dome Tweeters
Impedance: 8 Ohms
Inputs: Two balanced 1/4" TRS inputs
Auxillary Input: 1/8" Stereo
Headphone Jack: 1/8" Stereo
Speaker Jack: 1/4"
Controls: Level, Bass and Treble Room Correction Switches Protective
Cabinet Material: Injection-Molded Outer Housing

Notes about the Fender Passport Studio : They can also work as a PA system for small live shows if needed.
Last edited by V0RT3X on Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:17 pm, edited 8 times in total.
:borg:

Amazing how the 650's have stood the test of time. I have them myself at home, I'm not sure about portability though, the downside of them is being open is they leak, and let in, a lot of sound so are not much use on the road unless you are somewhere quiet with no one else around.

aMUSEd wrote:Amazing how the 650's have stood the test of time. I have them myself at home, I'm not sure about portability though, the downside of them is being open is they leak, and let in, a lot of sound so are not much use on the road unless you are somewhere quiet with no one else around.
Yah well I just figured that for when your in a hotel or something and need to do some touch ups on a mix that these would be great. I imagine for most listening tasks where your in a public place these might be a bit much, but i think for most things they would work great.

I guess if someone was wanted they could get a pair that does'nt leak instead but i ended up picking these for quality of sound.

V0RT3X wrote:I imagine for most listening tasks where your in a public place these might be a bit much, but i think for most things they would work great.
So the headphones would be a bit much for a public place? The monitors are just fine when sitting in a cafe or on the train? ;)

*I left out the hotelroom bit on purpose, couldn't resist :hihi:

BDeep wrote:
V0RT3X wrote:I imagine for most listening tasks where your in a public place these might be a bit much, but i think for most things they would work great.
So the headphones would be a bit much for a public place? The monitors are just fine when sitting in a cafe or on the train? ;)

*I left out the hotelroom bit on purpose, couldn't resist :hihi:
:lol:

I meant because of the headphone leakage, and then I meant that they are worth it regardless so they woudl work well for whatever you needed.

I'd wear them in mcdonalds and work on a track if i had to.

For ultra portable, this might be useful, it runs the full version of Windows 8:

http://www.asus.com/Tablets_Mobile/ASUS ... e_8_M80TA/

Uncle E wrote:For ultra portable, this might be useful, it runs the full version of Windows 8:

http://www.asus.com/Tablets_Mobile/ASUS ... e_8_M80TA/
Too small for me, some might like that i guess. I'm pretty happy with my MBP and if i get a tablet it will probably be an Ipad.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”