Would I regret if I buy the Beyerdynamic DT880 PRO?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Could you pls help me?

I need to buy a set of headphones for mixing purpose only.

Reading a Sound on Sound article, I was told that the Beyerdynamic DT880 PRO is one of the best and it is cheaper than Sennheiser's acclaimed HD650.

Meanwhile the Sony MDR7510 is even cheaper, at aroung £105, while the DT880 would cost £177 at amazon.

I am tempted by the Sony, but my budget also allows me to buy the DT880.

So would I regret if I buy the Beyerdynamic DT880 PRO?

Thank you

no, you won't regret it. Very good headphones set, imo.

No you won't. Great headphone for mixing. The stereo stage is wide and it's easy to tell which instrument is when using it.
musisikamar.com

Have no faith only in forums but at least in your hears... This Headphones are very good..!

I'm marrying mine.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

I use the Sony model you list and am happy with them, although I don't do much headphones mixing. Just to test with.

But, if I had to do it again and had the money I think I would go with those Beyers. FWIW.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

You might regret it if you buy the 600-ohm version and don't have enough juice in your headphone amp to push them. Choose your version wisely. Other than that, I don't think you'll regret it, but how the hell should we know what you will/won't regret buying? :shrug:
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

One question to answer is, do you need closed or open headphones? If you need closed and buy open you could definitely regret the choice.

My open headphones for mixing and production are AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition. Definitely my favorite.

My closed headphones are DT 770 Pro 80 OHM. Pretty darn good for closed headphones, but I prefer open headphones when my listening environment allows it.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

They're great cans, but yes consider open-back vs. closed. Do you work in a "noisy environment?" If so, these won't cut out any noise, but they're very good cans for the money IMO. I don't have experience with those Sony's, but do w/ the 7506 and much prefer the 880's.

600 ohm vs. 250 ohm is also a big consideration with these. Plugging straight into a laptop/computer likely won't have the juice to power these well - you'll also want to look into a headphone amp, and tube amps are supposedly the best for these particular cans. That would add more money to your actual purchase, or just go 250 ohm and forget the need for an amp.

Thank you for your replies.

I use the Lexicon Omega Studio USB Audio Interface.

Do you think it provides enough headphone amp for the DT880?

Thank you

let me put it this way - if you won't like something about these cans, it won't be due to the headphones themselves. they're damn near perfect.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

fantasyvn wrote:Thank you for your replies.

I use the Lexicon Omega Studio USB Audio Interface.

Do you think it provides enough headphone amp for the DT880?

Thank you
I'd go with the 250-ohm version for that interface. As mentioned, the 600-ohm version really needs a good headphone amp to push them, but you should be OK going straight out of your Lexicon's headphone amp if you go with 250-ohm version.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Wonderful. Thank you again. I think I will buy the DT880.

You should the Beyers are great and very comfortable as well.

fantasyvn wrote:Wonderful. Thank you again. I think I will buy the DT880.
And if for whatever reason you decide they are not for you I am first in line for left overs. :hihi:

Good luck, fantasyvn! :tu:

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”