Focus on a single synth

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey,

I own Ableton and Arturia Analog Lab (with my Keylab 61). I cant work with too many pluggins and possibilites because if it's too big I loose myself. But, Analog Lab is only a player and I can't work on synthesis, so i'm looking for a single synth to focus on it and learn it deeply.

I think ableton native synths (Operator and analog) can be very powerfull, but I'm not very in love with the interface. I tried some synth (Predator, Massive, FF Twin, Diva...) but I can't choose in only few hours on it, so I need your help. I'm looking for a verstatile synth, not too complicated for an amateur use.

I'm not looking for big fat sound (like native presets of Massive), I need simple sounds and I know all VST synths can do simple sounds, but I dont know witch one choose...

An exemple of sound i like (sound like he samples somes synth chords and notes and tweak it with several fx) : https://soundcloud.com/bonobo/duals

I actually hesitate between stuck with ableton devices or go with Arturia Moog Modular (I've heard lot of good things on it)...

Last question : I use a lot of samples for my drums parts, and I feel like... not satisfied. I'm considering try analog drum programming, some ressources on that?

Thanks in advance guys...
+

PS : Sorry for my poor english...

You really can't go wrong with Massive, it's still one of the best synths around. It's actually very versatile and the interface makes it easy to use. Diva is nice too, and probably the best synth for analog emulation, but uses a lot of cpu.

Thanks you blackflag.

I'm gonna watch some tutorials on massive to see that. And yes, I've got a 2009 Mcbook pro, so low CPU use is important...

You can't go wrong with Synth1 actually... Not the most modern, but low on CPU and free! Has implemented all the basic things you need to get going with basic synths. If you know this one inside out, other virtual analogs won't give you much surprises.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Take a look at Synthmaster. It quite the all-rounder, and it's light on the CPU, too. Sadowick created a larger tutorial series (17 videos) that will help you get into it and that also serves as a good way to learn more about the synth and what it can do::

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpisSU2W ... yvULjq71oa

For simple you want a substractive synth with pretty common arquitecture and some extras to not being boring, a great sound also helps. My recommendation would be Diva.

I skip arturia synths because they GUI is tiny.

NI massive is a good option but can be overwhelming with options.

Another one I like as a beginner synth is fabfilter twin 2.
dedication to flying

I'm going to recommend u-he Zebra over Massive. I own both and Massive's a helluva synth, but IMO Zebra provides more with its modular functionality along with the ability to draw in your own wave forms and do wavetable synthesis. But, you can keep it simple as well for a beginner. It's also relatively CPU friendly in comparison to Diva. And it just sounds better than Massive IMO. ;)

blackflag wrote:You really can't go wrong with Massive, it's still one of the best synths around. It's actually very versatile and the interface makes it easy to use. Diva is nice too, and probably the best synth for analog emulation, but uses a lot of cpu.
Personally, I would recommend NOT going with Massive as a first synth for one big reason - it has a pretty unique and unorthodox implementation for modulating parameters. Not that its implementation of modulation is bad (it's one part that I actually find quite good), but it won't translate well when you move to other synths at a later point. I recommend starting with a synth that has a more common/universal modulation approach (i.e., a modulation matrix), which you will find on many other synths and thus will make it easier to carry over what you've learned in one synth to the next one. Once you wrap your head around modulation, it will be easier to understand how modulation works in a synth like Massive.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | SX7

zebralette or really basic tal uno lx.

If you want something that sounds very good and is simple I'd go with Sylenth 1.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

If you like the sound of Massive, i would say, go with Massive.

chk071 wrote:If you like the sound of Massive, i would say, go with Massive.
The other thing that's good about Massive is that it's pretty easy to program. It just looks daunting, but it's a great synth for starting out on.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

pewpewjigger wrote:Hey,

...... An exemple of sound i like (sound like he samples somes synth chords and notes and tweak it with several fx) : https://soundcloud.com/bonobo/duals

I actually hesitate between stuck with ableton devices or go with Arturia Moog Modular (I've heard lot of good things on it)...
Cool track ( as often with Bonobo ) Sounds are not so simple btw theres a lot of modulations going.

Maybe you'll be interested in Xils-lab Oxium : It does very well all genuine analog sounds (including percs -but its not a drum machine- ), is performance oriented, meaning that you can use it on a very simple level, but after that, if you feel inclined to do so, you can go very deep in programming it, with it's double filter structure ( including formant), its numerous unique rythmic modulators, and a powerfull modulation system, meaning that it can do *beyond analog* sounds that no other synth can achieve.

Anyway, if you're interested you can give a listen to some Oxium audio demos there. ( The separate instruments audio demos are located at the bottom of the page : Dozens of audio examples in isolation )

LtZ
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

I was also going to suggest a synth with formant filter as I guess I hear some of that going n in that track.

Gonna throw syletnh1 in the mix.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”