What's the best semi-weighted 49 key midi keyboard?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What's the best semi-weighted 49 key midi keyboard? I'm hoping for something low cost, nothing more than $150. I can sometimes find used ones online for that price range.

I want a keyboard that has good semi-weighted feel and with knobs, sliders, drum pads, and aftertouch.

I've been thinking about getting the axiom 49 or axiom pro 49. Are these two good keyboards? I used to have the regular axiom 49 and I liked it, but I wonder if the feel of the keys weren't as good as something better that would be fit for playing piano. I know a graded action key bed would be ideal for piano, but those might cost too much for me.

Thanks!

Anything better than the axiom will cost more than 149, how good the keyboard is depends a lot on how you can evaluate it, if you don't play good at all you may not notice how bad a keyboard can be.

The better you play the most you will notice the keyboard shortcomings.

For 149 I would pick anything used on ebay or craiglist, maybe even and old synth (wich usually have better keys than "midi controllers". Maybe you can find a dx7 (no pads no controls but good keybed).
dedication to flying

Thanks for the advice. I

Well I'm definitely no pro, probably more of a beginner. I still have a lot to learn, but I know basic terms and stuff. What do you think of the axiom keyboards?

If cost wasn't an issue, what would you say is the best 49 key midi controller, with extras such as knobs, buttons, sliders, pads, etc.?

The new Alesis ones look nice - not tried one yet but they do what you want:

http://www.alesis.com/vi49

I got the Roland A-49 and have no regrets about it.
Its got no aftertouch, no drum pads and only 2 knobs.
But for under $200, the keyboard quality and feel is outstanding.
My latest crazy track "The Quick Brown Fox sampled the Lazy Dog": http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4&t=425647
15 Free DIVA Presets: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 8#p5892108

What is akward in cheap keyboard is the velocity response, they don't have aftertouch, the keys feel way to stiff or way too loose. Stuff that can mess up with playing if you really know how to play. If your eally don't know how to play then it's difficult to perceive the quality.
dedication to flying

rod_zero wrote:What is akward in cheap keyboard is the velocity response, they don't have aftertouch, the keys feel way to stiff or way too loose. Stuff that can mess up with playing if you really know how to play. If your eally don't know how to play then it's difficult to perceive the quality.
Do you think the axiom keyboards have keys that are too stiff or too loose?

Which keyboard do you think isn't too stiff or too loose?

Btw, thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I don't know where you are located, but here (germany), when you order something online, you have 2 weeks to send the product back, if you don't like it for some reason. So if you don't like what you ordered, you can easily send it back.

I don't have much of a comparison (i had a synth action keyboard before the Axiom), but IMO, the keys on the Axiom feel ok. Not shaky, not too hard or stiff. The aftertouch is not really good though IMO. It takes way too much pressure to activate it, and the range of velocity, or however you want to call it, is pretty narrow. Which means, you can't accurately get to a value of, say, 80. I never use aftertouch though, so it's fine for me. If you have a bit larger budget, you could try the Novation Impulse keyboard. It got pretty good rating in the press.

I originally planned to buy a 25 key unit and was looking, at that time, at a Novation model because it was said to be a superior unit.

After demoing several different brands I quickly changed my mind to a 49 key unit.

I didn't have the room for anything larger and already have a Roland D-20 that works great. But I more needed a controller and the Axiom Pro fits that description nicely.

I opted for the Axiom Pro 49 primarily due to the keys themself.

They felt much more stable on the keyboard than any other model I tested - not shaky or loose. They felt they had the right amount of pressure required to press them - not too firm, definitely not too easy to press.

I don't use after touch so the others may be right about their take on that aspect.

The only thing I do not like about the keys are the size. They are smaller than a 61 key model, obviously, and smaller than the D-20 keys. I have large hands so it is easy for me to press a wrong key, or should I say when chording it is easy to get a note in that doesn't belong.

Now, if I was a good piano player I probably wouldn't have that problem :hihi:

All said and done I am really happy with my purchase. Of all the brands I tested, the Axiom Pro 49 is the Goldi-Locks to me. :D

While helping to guide you in your purchase, none of us can tell you what is best for you. You REALLY need to go and demo every brand and model you can. Only then will you be able to decide which is best for you.

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

chk071 wrote:I don't know where you are located, but here (germany), when you order something online, you have 2 weeks to send the product back, if you don't like it for some reason. So if you don't like what you ordered, you can easily send it back.

I don't have much of a comparison (i had a synth action keyboard before the Axiom), but IMO, the keys on the Axiom feel ok. Not shaky, not too hard or stiff. The aftertouch is not really good though IMO. It takes way too much pressure to activate it, and the range of velocity, or however you want to call it, is pretty narrow. Which means, you can't accurately get to a value of, say, 80. I never use aftertouch though, so it's fine for me. If you have a bit larger budget, you could try the Novation Impulse keyboard. It got pretty good rating in the press.
I looked into the novation impulse a little and I may save up and get that. I saw a video of how the pads do arps, and I feel convinced on getting it. The keys don't feel as stiff as the axiom 49 mk2. Do stiff keys make it more or less realistic for a semi-weighted piano feel?

Synchanter wrote:I got the Roland A-49 and have no regrets about it.
Its got no aftertouch, no drum pads and only 2 knobs.
But for under $200, the keyboard quality and feel is outstanding.
I ordered that as well, I hope it is as good as people keep saying. It does have Aftertouch.
I didn't want fancy stuff like pads, sliders, etc. Just a very good keyboard with 4 octaves (my old 32-key controller was way too short to really play it in a reasonable way). First I did not want to buy another Roland as my old one that broke was also Roland. But there are very few if any alternatives for what I wanted.

Hope it works for you. I'm happy with mine.
I figured at a low price point, it would be best to get a keyboard where the money mostly went to the keyboard action rather than sliders, knobs and drum pads.
My latest crazy track "The Quick Brown Fox sampled the Lazy Dog": http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 4&t=425647
15 Free DIVA Presets: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 8#p5892108

You really need to go to the shop and play a little bit with them. You might be surprised what would be your favourite.

I went to the shop (a year ago) to buy the Roland A49 but I ended buying Oxygen 49 (3rd gen)! I liked the keys better (they were almost the same price). Also, I prefer separated Mod/pitch wheels which they felt surprisingly very good quality in the Oxygen. I don't care about Aftertouch or Pads and this made Oxygen the perfect budget choice. You might need to test the new models because they look different.

Now, since I bought my used Casio PX-5S, my opinion on keys has completely changed. If you want really to experience the best feel of Piano keys, then Digital Pianos are the way to go. They imitate the feel of the Acoustic Piano (it means it will never be better than the original!). Try some of them in the shop. You can find Weighted Keys with some Midi controllers, but they are mostly more expensive than a new basic digital piano (like PX-150) or a used stage piano. There are cons of course, like most of the budget digital pianos (including mine) would have very noisy keys after some usage (bouncing keys/clicking), but that won't affect the keys feel. Most of them don't have mod/pitch wheels, sliders or knobs (mine does have these though). Other cons depend on the kind of model ..etc.

So, you need to plan for the future also and you should know your needs of course. Are you sure you need the Piano feels? (for me yes, because I'm learning Piano and love the feel of it). What are you going to do with Aftertouch? are you sure about it? Why pads, why not play the keys for drums? which models you played in the shop that really felt "this is the one"? How you have planned your place? Will you be better with two keyboards (one with great keys feel and the other with a lot of controllers)? There are many things to consider and you might find the long term planning is really better.

There are also some great Roland stage pianos, but they are mostly expensive (they have RD-64 which is not 88 keys). Anyway, my choice was between Korg Kross 88 and Casio PX-5S. They were the cheapest Stage Pianos with midi controllers. I also considered Oxygen 88 (excellent one), but the main advantage of Kross/PX-5S is I don't need a computer to start playing because they have many sounds/synth engine, sequencer ..etc. The Korg one also has VSTi version of the synth, but Casio only has a software to edit the synth, no plugin.

Well, in the end my used (not very, about just 6 months used!) Casio PX-5S was a little bit more expensive than a new Novation Impulse 49 or Axiom 49 and cheaper than Axiom Pro. But, you really can't compare the keys feel! It is really like Day and Night (in both quality and feel). Just try them in the shop and you will know what I mean!

axiom 49 , i had it for one month before the usb broke, never maudio again...
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Well, there are no music shops where I live, so I can't try stuff. I have to rely on other people's reviews :P
I used to have a digital piano as well (Korg 250), it indeed feels very different, but I prefer the synth keyboard feeling for some reason. Probably because I don't really like the piano sound and for almost anything else hammer feeling is odd. I don't have the fine velocity feeling, anyway, that it takes to play subtle stuff. One has to start playing the piano when young.
Nor do I need 88 keys, I remember I hardly ever used the lowest and highest 1.5 octaves, which makes a 49-key keyboard suffice. And should I play a bass patch, I can always program the patch accordingly, or manually go an octave or two lower on the keyboard.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”